Sponsored

Winter Storage

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
(Unfortunately) I've decided to park my ITS for the winter. As much as I would love to take it for a rip in the snow (with the tail happy handling and LSD, I'm sure it would be a blast), the crap they put on the roads up here just destroys cars (and they use a lot of it).

I've never stored a car seasonally before. Any advice on storage procedures? I've read some general guidelines, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done it regularly and can speak from experience.

Full tank of gas? Fuel stabilizer?
Sponsored

PRDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
I’m storing mine also, I fill up the gas tank, fill the tires to 40 PSI, and put a battery tender on the battery.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Daily here. Signed up for an unlimited touchless carwash

OP
OP

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I don't trust the underbody wash to get to everything, haha. Worried stuff will get up inside panels, etc. and sit. I really wish they weren't so aggressive with salt, chemicals, etc.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Daily driver also...for the heavy stuff I'll take the Tacoma

Sponsored

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
It's going to be a long winter for me too. Picking up the car hopefully next week and it's straight home to bed for the winter. At the very minimum it'll be a full tank with some fuel stabilizer, higher pressure in the tires and I'll probably have it on some moving blankets just to keep humidity from under my car since my wife will park her car (winter driven) right next to it. Lastly even though I know you can technically keep some battery tenders on all winter, probably just do a top up every 2-4 weeks then unplug again.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
(Unfortunately) I've decided to park my ITS for the winter. As much as I would love to take it for a rip in the snow (with the tail happy handling and LSD, I'm sure it would be a blast), the crap they put on the roads up here just destroys cars (and they use a lot of it).

I've never stored a car seasonally before. Any advice on storage procedures? I've read some general guidelines, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done it regularly and can speak from experience.

Full tank of gas? Fuel stabilizer?
Daily driving mine so I’ll be taking it through rough Colorado winter storms. However, I plan to wash the car weekly or biweekly as needed. By mid or end of season, the car will need to be on ramps with every under panel removed and washed down.

I’ll be using the winter spray ceramic under the car to make rinsing road salt off easier.

It’s a lot of work but such is the price to keep the car in pristine condition. Or just park your car if you have alternative as you’re planning lol.

1. Keep the tires above 20 degrees F. Keep it properly inflated to prevent flat spotting especially these Michelins.

2. start the car once every two weeks for the battery and get the oil circulating a bit or change the oil and filter.

3. Add gas stabilizer or keep it moderately full to prevent moisture buildup.

4. Check coolant levels and fluids. Don’t want anything too full and possibly expanding under sub freezing temperatures. Cracked tanks are no fun.

Overall if you have a sunny day with nice roads, take it for a quick spirited drive to get everything circulating. No I’ve never winter stores any fancy sports car. I’ve just seen what happened to my Acura TL when left outside in the snow during those ridiculous Covid lockdowns lol

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
2. start the car once every two weeks for the battery and get the oil circulating a bit or change the oil and filter.
IMO, this is a very bad idea. You'll have a lot of condensation in the exhaust every time and it'll rust, the gasket will fail prematurely. I've done that on the first car I stored for winter, and after having to do exhaust work because of it, I stopped doing it.

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
IMO, this is a very bad idea. You'll have a lot of condensation in the exhaust every time and it'll rust, the gasket will fail prematurely. I've done that on the first car I stored for winter, and after having to do exhaust work because of it, I stopped doing it.
So what's the solution ? I plan on not driving mine for 5-6 months this winter, but I have no other option besides keeping it outside in cold weather. My friend told me to by a fuel stabilizer and keep the tank full , disconnect the negative battery cable and buy these small ramps to roll the tires on so they do not get flat spots. Would it be a better idea to just start it every 2 weeks rather than do all that and take it for a quick ride around the block ? I have never done this so I am looking for all advice. Can I still drive it with the fuel stabilizer in it ?

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
So what's the solution ? I plan on not driving mine for 5-6 months this winter, but I have no other option besides keeping it outside in cold weather. My friend told me to by a fuel stabilizer and keep the tank full , disconnect the negative battery cable and buy these small ramps to roll the tires on so they do not get flat spots. Would it be a better idea to just start it every 2 weeks rather than do all that and take it for a quick ride around the block ? I have never done this so I am looking for all advice. Can I still drive it with the fuel stabilizer in it ?
If you keep it outside, I would put gas stabilizer in the tank. Instead of disconnecting the battery, buy a weather resistant battery tender and connect it (or remove the battery and keep it inside connected to a regular battery tender). For the tires, I always kept my stored cars on their regular tires. Any flat spots would disapear after driving it for a little while next spring. I would also not start the car at all during the winter. This way, you won't have condensation in the exhaust, nor in the motor or oil, which is a good thing. Also, very important to change the oil next spring as soon as you can (I try to do it before even starting the car for the first time).

Never had any problem doing it like this. Been storing 1-2 cars every winter for the last 15 years, some inside a heated garage, some outside.

Sponsored

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
If you keep it outside, I would put gas stabilizer in the tank. Instead of disconnecting the battery, buy a weather resistant battery tender and connect it (or remove the battery and keep it inside connected to a regular battery tender). For the tires, I always kept my stored cars on their regular tires. Any flat spots would disapear after driving it for a little while next spring. I would also not start the car at all during the winter. This way, you won't have condensation in the exhaust, nor in the motor or oil, which is a good thing. Also, very important to change the oil next spring as soon as you can (I try to do it before even starting the car for the first time).

Never had any problem doing it like this. Been storing 1-2 cars every winter for the last 15 years, some inside a heated garage, some outside.
So I have no power available and wont be able to connect a tender , I will put the gas stabilizer in it but can it still be driven once in awhile with it in ( I'm sure the answer is yes as that's what its made for besides helping with storage ) . I do want to drive it once every few weeks but when it's very cold or snow/salt on the road I don't plan to. I never heard of this condensation affecting the exhaust , new to me . Also does the oil still go bad if I drive a few miles every 2-3 weeks ? Can you explain ?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I think it's probably better to just drive this kind of car in the winter. It's not a GT3.

Daily here. Signed up for an unlimited touchless carwash
Let us know how your PPF holds up. Generally the Internet frowns heavily on taking a car with PPF through any automated wash but I have my doubts it's that big a deal unless you've got problem spots already, or it's not a good install.

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
I think it's probably better to just drive this kind of car in the winter. It's not a GT3.

Let us know how your PPF holds up. Generally the Internet frowns heavily on taking a car with PPF through any automated wash but I have my doubts it's that big a deal unless you've got problem spots already, or it's not a good install.
If I could I'd drive it every day but my current situation will not allow me. I only have 2 parking spots for me and my wife and still have my truck that I need until March . Than I can sell it. So the Type S is staying in a family members driveway that is not so close to me. I can make it there like once every 2 weeks .

OP
OP

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I thought about it. But, all my other cars have shown clear signs of winter driving within 2-3 years. It's not like the body is rusting out, but rust and corrosion are visible throughout the engine bay, on the subframe, bolts, linkages, etc.

Tye first question I ask when buying a used car in NE is "can you send pics of the undercarriage", lol.