Winter Storage

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
So I have no power available and wont be able to connect a tender , I will put the gas stabilizer in it but can it still be driven once in awhile with it in ( I'm sure the answer is yes as that's what its made for besides helping with storage ) . I do want to drive it once every few weeks but when it's very cold or snow/salt on the road I don't plan to. I never heard of this condensation affecting the exhaust , new to me . Also does the oil still go bad if I drive a few miles every 2-3 weeks ? Can you explain ?
Thing to remember is if you drive it, drive it for a while until the car reaches operating temp, and beyond.
If you drive it just to go around the block, then car won't reach operating temp and condensation will form in the exhaust and in the oil. This is not good for a car.

What I did before the firt time I stored a car was to just start it and let it sit running for like 30 minutes. This is bad as the car won't become hot enough to get rid of the condensation in the exhaust and in the oil. This is what I don't do anymore.
Sponsored

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
IMO, this is a very bad idea. You'll have a lot of condensation in the exhaust every time and it'll rust, the gasket will fail prematurely. I've done that on the first car I stored for winter, and after having to do exhaust work because of it, I stopped doing it.
So what's the solution ? I plan on not driving mine for 5-6 months this winter, but I have no other option besides keeping it outside in cold weather.
While this was true with older cars. Some water in the exhaust is normal; combination of condensation and natural combustion by product.

As the engine heats up or if driven the moisture will evaporate or burn off. After a number of rotations by the pistons, it would vacuum the water vapor, there could be a small number of droplets in the exhaust but i do believe modern cars and Hondas have weep holes in the mufflers.

Weep holes are like drain holes to allow water to escape. During summer time your exhaust system heats up quickly enough to evaporate water; so you'll notice in the winter it looks like your exhaust tips are dripping out water.

I haven't checked the Type S three mufflers to verify we do have weep holes but we can easily drill 2mm or 1/6" holes at the low point to drain water if the concern is rusting. This is commonly necessary for aftermarket exhaust systems as they don't drill weep holes for you.

Edit: Forgot to add that these honda/acuras should have 409 stainless steel or aluminized stainless steel mufflers. Cheap exhaust are the aluminized ones. So rusting would take a very very long time.

borla drain hole.jpg

Last edited:

Fred 930

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
When storing a car for the winter:
  1. Add the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer based on your tank size - I've been using Stabil for years in several vehicles and power equipment with good results.
  2. After adding the fuel stablizer, fFill the tank - this reduces the internal air volume and chances of moisture condensation.
  3. Check your tire pressure, but don't think excessive inflation is necessary.
  4. Connect a "smart" battery charger from a reputable company - I have several 1.5 amp models from Schumacher. Looks like their latest model is this one: https://www.schumacherelectric.com/products/1-5a-6v-12v-fully-automatic-battery-companion/
  5. DO NOT start the car while in storage unless you intend to drive it long enough to completely warm up all the vehicle's systems / fluids. You can't accomplish that by simply letting it idle in the garage - it must be driven - perhaps 10 miles - maybe more if really cold.
  6. I will often use a high quality "rubber care" product on the rubber door seals. Probably not necessary and don't go crazy by using too much.
  7. Some people even block up the windshield wipers, but I seldom do.
  8. Mice can be a really big problem. Do what you can to eliminate them in the garage area - fresh poison bait, traps, etc.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
So for those of us who plan to drive the car all winter, how/where do you intend to store your summer tires?

I currently have them laying flat in duffels on shelves in the garage, but do I need to lug them down into the basement to protect them from seeing freezing temperatures?

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
So for those of us who plan to drive the car all winter, how/where do you intend to store your summer tires?

I currently have them laying flat in duffels on shelves in the garage, but do I need to lug them down into the basement to protect them from seeing freezing temperatures?
I would store them in your basement if you have the space to stack them.

Sponsored

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I would store them in your basement if you have the space to stack them.
Maybe I can get a Queen size flat bedsheet in green flannel and stack them in the living room. Wrap the stack in light and put a star on top.

You reckon anyone would notice?

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
Maybe I can get a Queen size flat bedsheet in green flannel and stack them in the living room. Wrap the stack in light and put a star on top.

You reckon anyone would notice?
Make sure you put a traffic cone up top to form a tree. No one will ever know the difference

Midnight_VTEC

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
I keep mine in my garage. It’s insulated and I have built in heat that I use typically if I am working in the garage. But I have done this before and never had any issue or tire degradation. The key is when you swap back make sure the ambient temperatures have allowed the tires to warm up gradually so don’t be rushing to swap your tires in the spring on the first nice day.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
https://www.carbag.com/shop/carjacket/m2/

helps keep out mice.

I have been using one to store the 911 for years with good results.
We get a deal on the car itself and shafted for everything else. Is there anywhere us Canadians could pick up this or a similar zip up car cover in Canada and avoid paying almost 50% of the price in shipping and duties?

Maybe it's just me but it seems much harder to find than it should be.

Sponsored

bdisco

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘24 ITS, ‘21 Bronco, ‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘88 911
As a person of French Canadian descent I’m not sure why shipping is so high to our neighbors in the north.

The car bag is nothing more than a tarp with a zipper on 3 sides. Simple but effective bordering on genius.

OP
OP

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Maybe this is a dumb question, but:
Let's say I prep the car for storage... disconnect the battery, latch the hood, etc.

when I come back in the spring, how do I unlock the car? It must need the battery connected to unlock, right (since we only get a fob)? But, I can't connect the battery, unless I unlatch the hood, which requires getting inside the driver's door, which is locked...

Am I missing something obvious?
Sponsored