Sponsored

Winter Storage

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Goodnight for 2023. Only 110 days until the mandatory winter tire period ends.

My wife will be parking her winter driven car right next to it daily so I've tried to minimize the potential humidity and salt exposure by covering it with a plastic sheet (6mil) and taping that to the floor, effectively air sealing it. To make sure it doesn't become a moisture trap I've inserted 2 humidity sensors front and back of the car and I'll modulate it with desiccants if needed.

Otherwise just topped off the gas tank (+ fuel stabilizer) and connected a battery tender to the terminals. It's a Noco 2A and should be fine but I still don't trust it 24/7 for a third of the year so I will be plugging it once every other week for 24 hours.

It's currently sitting at a comfy 17C (63F) at 45% humidity. Some people's super cars don't get this level of treatment but I worked freaking hard for it and I'll be damned if I don't treat as best as I can.

Storage.jpg
Storage Humidity.jpg

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
If I plan to not drive the car much this winter but do plan to start it up once every two weeks and maybe take a short 5-10 minute ride , would it be smart to add fuel stabilizer?

Sponsored

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Nah I wouldn't, but thats me...I have only used that stuff for my lawn mowers when I wasn't able to drain the tanks...You said it will be driven every two weeks....Used to park my 13C6Z06 from Dec -April and never used it......I got some Mich Alpins for the GT-R...no salt and its driven..life is to freaking short ...

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Goodnight for 2023. Only 110 days until the mandatory winter tire period ends.

My wife will be parking her winter driven car right next to it daily so I've tried to minimize the potential humidity and salt exposure by covering it with a plastic sheet (6mil) and taping that to the floor, effectively air sealing it. To make sure it doesn't become a moisture trap I've inserted 2 humidity sensors front and back of the car and I'll modulate it with desiccants if needed.

Otherwise just topped off the gas tank (+ fuel stabilizer) and connected a battery tender to the terminals. It's a Noco 2A and should be fine but I still don't trust it 24/7 for a third of the year so I will be plugging it once every other week for 24 hours.

It's currently sitting at a comfy 17C (63F) at 45% humidity. Some people's super cars don't get this level of treatment but I worked freaking hard for it and I'll be damned if I don't treat as best as I can.

Storage.jpg
Storage Humidity.jpg
very nice. Supercar is relative. Work hard to earn a car doesn’t matter the cost, you take care of what you love and worked for

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
Nah I wouldn't, but thats me...I have only used that stuff for my lawn mowers when I wasn't able to drain the tanks...You said it will be driven every two weeks....Used to park my 13C6Z06 from Dec -April and never used it......I got some Mich Alpins for the GT-R...no salt and its driven..life is to freaking short ...
When it snows it may sit for a month at a time and not be driven but who knows . I don’t plan to drive it much but do plan to start it once every two weeks and maybe take it around the block but when they start throwing salt on the roads I won’t drive it.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
If I plan to not drive the car much this winter but do plan to start it up once every two weeks and maybe take a short 5-10 minute ride , would it be smart to add fuel stabilizer?
Drive it enough so the car gets at operating temp for a little while. That way, you'll get rid of the condensation in the exhaust and in the oil.

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
Drive it enough so the car gets at operating temp for a little while. That way, you'll get rid of the condensation in the exhaust and in the oil.
I can try but it wont be a option I have all the time , especially if the roads are covered in salt and snow.

Sponsored

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
I can try but it wont be a option I have all the time , especially if the roads are covered in salt and snow.
I'm told it's better if you don't turn it on unless it gets up to temperature for 10-15 minutes but do what you think is right.

Either way, put fuel stabilizer in your gas tank because by the sounds of it the tank of gas will no be used up for months.

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
I'm told it's better if you don't turn it on unless it gets up to temperature for 10-15 minutes but do what you think is right.

Either way, put fuel stabilizer in your gas tank because by the sounds of it the tank of gas will no be used up for months.
Yeah a full tank is going to last me the next 3 months most likely. So its ok to add the fuel stabilizer and still drive on occasion ? I bought this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G14VCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Anyway, if you put stabilizer in the tank, you'll drive to burn that gas, right? Might be only next spring, might be a couple of smaller drives in the winter, but nonetheless, you'll burn that gas.

That's how I see it.

And in my opinion, as @SilverRocket said, you're better not driving it at all than for some 5 minutes trips.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Yeah a full tank is going to last me the next 3 months most likely. So its ok to add the fuel stabilizer and still drive on occasion ? I bought this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G14VCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
That's the exact brand that's in my car right now however they sell a bottle which has an integrated measuring cup. You just open the small cap squeeze the bottle and it fills up. You fill it up 5 times (1 oz at a time) and you're set.

https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-2220...&qid=1701731468&sprefix=stabil,aps,141&sr=8-1

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Anyway, if you put stabilizer in the tank, you'll drive to burn that gas, right? Might be only next spring, might be a couple of smaller drives in the winter, but nonetheless, you'll burn that gas.

That's how I see it.

And in my opinion, as @SilverRocket said, you're better not driving it at all than for some 5 minutes trips.
Exactly. No matter how you burn it, all at once or over months, it's okay to go through the engine, it's designed to do that. It prevents seperation of the fuel components, most importantly it doesn't let the ethanol accumulate pockets of water which if drastic, could be as bad as to hydrolock the engine.

Also another angle to consider, if you run it a bit at a time, you should top the tank back up, both fuel and stabilizer. Maybe not after every run if you're not doing much, but the goal is to have as little amount of the tank exposed to air. Not saying anything would happen, but the name of the game it's to minimize variables and that would be another one.
Sponsored