• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Does Honda actually test these cars on "real" roads? (screeching noise from front wheel)

glhs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra
I'm 2 weeks and 600 miles into ownership of this Integra Type S and my wife calls to tell me she's pulled over to the side of the road as the car started making some massive screeching noises during her commute home.

Some quick checking on the CivicXI forums indicates this is a known issue, common to the CTR and I guess now to the ITS as well and that the noise is literally a pebble or rock that gets stuck between the backside of the rotor and the backing plate.

While we don't live near any dirt or gravel roads we do live in New England and its not uncommon to find sections of patched and crumbling pavement or the loose rock here and there. Is anyone else in the snow belt having these issues with their ITS? Is there something about the design of the big brake package on the CTR/ITS that makes it more prone to this issue than any other car we've owned, Honda or otherwise? I reached behind the rotor to wiggle the backing plate and see if any gravel might would fall out and it seemed to me like the backing plate has a smaller diameter relative to the rotor than other cars I've had.

Anyone else had the issue yet? Has anyone done anything drastic like fabricate a bigger backing plate, add more clearance from the backing plate to the rotor, or even removing the backing plate? If this happens once or twice a year it won't be a big deal but every few hundred miles would be unbearable.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I think the factory sticky PS4S tires are know to throw some rocks. I know there were a few reported cases. I haven't experienced it yet but switched to all seasons.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Bend it and send it, bud.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
This has happened with most of my cars. kind of a pain but is what it is. PS4S tires are likely the culprit as they are super sticky when warm. For those that have tracked them, you know they get covered in rocks and pebbles the second you pull off the track.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
i got the splash guards installed specifically to help mitigate this, so hopefully they make a difference.

i had been driving a '15 Si up until i traded it in for my new ITS and i had been running these same tires for a few years and i had this happen once or twice, so i made it a point to get the splash guards this time.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
3100 miles and this hasn't happened. In all the cars I've ever owned in my life, I've had a pebble stuck behind the dust shield exactly one time.

It sucks when it happens, but I wouldn't expect it to be a common occurrence, and definitely nothing exclusive to this car.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
It's 99% a sticky tire issue, 1% bad luck, not really car dependent. Driving a 9th gen Civic Si for the past 10 years with Michelin PSS tires, I've had at least a few instances where this has happened. First time is the scariest, you think the wheel is going to fly off. Also, you up your chances drastically the more the wheel is turned as you drive over the pea sized gravel.

I found that the best way to rectify it is actually to pull into a parking lot and go in reverse. Doesn't always work but it has a much higher rate of success short of using something to fish out the rock manually.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
It's 99% a sticky tire issue, 1% bad luck, not really car dependent. Driving a 9th gen Civic Si for the past 10 years with Michelin PSS tires, I've had at least a few instances where this has happened. First time is the scariest, you think the wheel is going to fly off. Also, you up your chances drastically the more the wheel is turned as you drive over the pea sized gravel.

I found that the best way to rectify it is actually to pull into a parking lot and go in reverse. Doesn't always work but it has a much higher rate of success short of using something to fish out the rock manually.
Yep! Put it in reverse, give the throttle a jab, and then stop suddenly. Always works for me.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
i got the splash guards installed specifically to help mitigate this, so hopefully they make a difference.

i had been driving a '15 Si up until i traded it in for my new ITS and i had been running these same tires for a few years and i had this happen once or twice, so i made it a point to get the splash guards this time.
i was really tired when i wrote this last night and despite that i still couldn't really sleep, and i was laying awake in bed around 5am and i thought about this and i realized that the splash guards will do nothing to prevent a rock from being thrown up into your brakes, and also that i am a tard

zooka

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S 2022 RDX A-Spec
This happened on a few cars I owned before, but not yet on the ITS. Has nothing to do with Honda or any manufacture creating a flaw\testing. Just the the luck of the draw of a tiny rock projecting just right in between the shield and the rotor.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
can somebody take a picture showing where exactly these rocks get stuck at? i've had it happen before as i mentioned but i was able to dislodge it by driving, but next time it happens i would liek to pull over and know exactly where the rock is so i don't fumble around in the dark or whatever

zooka

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S 2022 RDX A-Spec
can somebody take a picture showing where exactly these rocks get stuck at? i've had it happen before as i mentioned but i was able to dislodge it by driving, but next time it happens i would liek to pull over and know exactly where the rock is so i don't fumble around in the dark or whatever
There are metal shields on the rotor and tiny rocks can pop in here

IMG_0096.jpeg

Steve48

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes EQA, BMW 330e. ITS On Order.
Happens all the time to BMW's as well...I remember the first time it happened to me several years ago, it sounded like the car was about to die. But as others have mentioned, it is just small rocks getting stuck and either slight bending of the shields or going into reverse and forward cured it everytime.

bruejam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Tiger Eye Type S
I don't think it has anything to do with sticky tires. This happened to my wife's '22 MDX shortly after we got it. It has only happened twice in a little over a year.