• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

[Solved] Low speed drivetrain rattles?

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GONE: ‘23 Integra A-Spec 6MT
Have any of you, especially with the 6MT A-Spec, encountered obnoxious rattles at parking lot speeds and low revs? I have metallic rattle/groan that occurs in 1st and 2nd gear whenever I get on and off throttle. Sounds like it’s coming from under the car near the firewall, and sounds to me like a bad mount or maybe a loose heat shield. The dealer just called and agrees that the sound exists but told me that “it’s a normal characteristic of the car” per Acura tech line. I’ve probably read through every Integra and 11th gen Civic rattle post on the internet and haven’t found anyone with my specific issue. It’s not the waste gate rattle, because I hear that as well. And it isn’t one of the usual interior rattles, because I also have those and have corrected some of them. I looked for something loose myself but came up empty before taking it to Acura.

I’ll try to post a video this weekend if the sound comes through. For now I’m curious if that description rings a bell for anyone.

**EDIT**
Adding video to top post. (Sound on.)

**EDIT AGAIN**
Jump to post #9 for the solution.

Last edited:

TheRas900

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Macan S, '16 ES350 and hopefully a '23 Integra
My 6MT A-Spec has no such noise. Hopefully your dealer will investigate further.

OP
OP

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the data point. I'm not really optimistic based on the discussion I just had with the service advisor. He was sympathetic and both he and a couple of techs agreed that it rattles and shouldn't. According to him they have seen 3 other 2023 cars with the same problem through their service department. They threw a bunch of parts at the first one and couldn't fix it. Currently Acura tech line is instructing them not to pursue it further because "the vehicle is operating as designed." I was told that sometimes if they get enough complaints Acura corporate will look deeper and figure it out. But I suspect that comment was mainly to get me out the door.

Can't lie, I've been really disappointed by the build quality on this car. Nothing major has gone wrong yet but I've spent the last year endlessly chasing rattles and squeaks and buzzes and bad trim pieces and other assembly/parts quality issues. Never owned a car before that seems this committed to falling apart.

I'll probably put the car in the air tomorrow and take another look myself before I do anything rash. And try to get that video if the rain quits.

OP
OP

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here are the promised videos. You’ll probably want earbuds to get the full effect.

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
I think someone was mentioning waste-gate sounds around these RPMs and similar driving conditions and Honda had reported it as normal operation.

OP
OP

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think someone was mentioning waste-gate sounds around these RPMs and similar driving conditions and Honda had reported it as normal operation.
No, I also have that and I've made my peace with it. What I'm dealing with here seems more like a chassis component issue.

OP
OP

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I took another run at this and finally solved it. Spoiler: bad rear engine mount.

On Friday Acura claimed there's nothing wrong with my car:

Lame Diagnosis.jpeg

I made a short video summarizing the issue and what I found:

I'll be following-up with the dealer tomorrow. If the service advisor was right that they have several of these cars running around town with the same issue, I think they owe each of the owners a phone call. (And a new mount.)

OP
OP

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
only 12k and a shot motor mount...hmmmmmn
Bad batch of mounts I think. It’s been getting progressively worse over time since new, and finally got consistent and loud enough to take to the dealer. Poor bonding like that can be caused by something as simple as inadequate cleaning of the sleeve before molding.

OP
OP

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do yourself a favor, get a PRL rear mount.
I would agree with you, but I’m concerned about increased NVH making all of my other rattles worse. This car is borderline intolerable even with a relatively well isolated engine. Every time I trace the source of one rattle and fix whichever interior panel doesn’t fit properly, there’s another somewhere else.