• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Low beams project an array of colors.

Ringo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6M
Some LED's shine various colors when viewed on-coming from a distance. I've noticed this phenomena particularly on Mazda's and a few Toyotas. This evening, while backing into a parking spot, I could see my headlights reflecting directly in front of me on the storefront window Paine. To my surprise and delight, I saw an array of blues, yellows, and greens reflecting back at me. Wow, my Integra's low beams also produce this phenomena!

In the past, with various cars, I've tried to find after market LED's or HID's that produce the same effect to no avail. Auto part store employee's never knew what I was talking about, so I never found anyone to corroborate what I continue to see out there on the roads.
Has anyone here on this forum, noticed this effect on their Integra's?

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I haven't noticed this, but, it is likely due to how LEDs work. They are inherently only red, green, or blue. Any color in-between is a combination of multiple diodes lighting at the same time as these is because that is all they can actually produce. Refraction and reflection can intensify the separation of each color due to the differing wavelengths.

What you are experiencing could just be a phenomena that you are perceptive enough to notice or it may be a problem with the diodes themselves. Without more information and what you have described, I'm inclined to believe you are just much more perceptive than the average consumer.

OP
OP
Ringo

Ringo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6M
Very good explanation. The reflection I saw definitely seemed to be intensified.
As a small experiment, I'll get out of my car to look at the headlights directly from a distance away. If I still see the colors, perhaps there is a problem with the diodes. I have always obsessed about lighting. Maybe I am, as you say, more perceptive than the average customer when it comes to headlamp observations. I'll let you know how the experiment turns out. Thanks again Sean, for the explanation, and for taking the time.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Very good explanation. The reflection I saw definitely seemed to be intensified.
As a small experiment, I'll get out of my car to look at the headlights directly from a distance away. If I still see the colors, perhaps there is a problem with the diodes. I have always obsessed about lighting. Maybe I am, as you say, more perceptive than the average customer when it comes to headlamp observations. I'll let you know how the experiment turns out. Thanks again Sean, for the explanation, and for taking the time.
After quick research, my information may be out of date. While they still do not actually produce white light, "white" LEDs have been commercially available for 16 years (woops). These use a coating over the LED itself to produce a yellow (both red and green) hue that then mixes with the natural blue of the LED to make white. Same theory of color separation but much better technology than the dinosaur LEDs I mentioned above.

OP
OP
Ringo

Ringo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6M
Very interesting and that explains the phenomena I see. Thank you for doing this research-I could not find a reason for this anywhere.