• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone planning on switching to low dust brake pads?

ronlp

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 CTR, 02 S2K, 98-92-89 Prelude, 90 CRX, +6 other
Ugh, now that I have two cars with these filthy (and eventually noisy) brakes....and two sets of wheels that are a pita to clean, I think it's time to move to something else. If ya'll haven't realized how bad they are yet, you will. Even if you manage to keep the wheels clean, it will manage to coat everything including the paint. Even driving reasonable, if I go 100 miles without cleaning the wheels on the Civic, the red stripe is barely visible. The Integra's wheels were filthy from just the 40 mile trip home from the dealer.

When my wife used to own bmws (notorious for filthy brakes), I used to immediately swap the OE pads for Akebono ceramics and they were 100x better, but not sure what our best options are for the brembos.

SierraOne

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A-Spec->ITS, '24 X1, '24 Navigator, '14 LR4
It's funny that you mention that, because I was just saying the other day that the Integra brakes are remarkably clean. Of course, I'm comparing against a Navigator, BMW, and a Land Rover, all of which spew endless amounts of grease onto every surface remotely near the wheel well...

To be fair though I only really paid attention to the rims/wheels after 2000 or so km, where they were filthy, but ever since hasn't been too bad.

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AUDI S4, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
Porterfield makes a R4S arimid co.pound street/ track pad with very little dusting for the 2018 CTR. I have a set on my Alfa Giulia QV and they are great...low dust, no noise, easily bedded, great braking...a very nice pad! Bc the pad material is a light color, even if you get some dust it is very hard to see. They run about $300 - $350 for all 4 Wheels.

Ceramic coating the wheels helps speed up the cleaning process, but reducing the dusting and adding ceramic coating makes everything better.

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS LCM/Red; '16 BMW M235-xdrive
I just wanted to add that I had swapped Akebono ceramic pads on my BMW due to the amount of brake dust from the OEM pads (I think the stock ones were Jurid). Brake dust has to do with the high iron content on metallic pads. Swapping in non-metallic or ceramic pads will cut down brake dust tremendously (and the dust is more of a fine white instead of brown).

Of course, brake feel and performance are different between the different materials. But for normal street driving, the ceramic pads were fine and didn't create as much dust.

OP
OP
ronlp

ronlp

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 CTR, 02 S2K, 98-92-89 Prelude, 90 CRX, +6 other
Would ceramic coating help in anyway?
Maybe for the wheels, but these things are pretty gnarly and it gets everywhere in the wheel wells after a while. I constantly have to pressure wash everything I can get to on the civic and even then, when I rotate the tires, the backs are covered, as are every crevice in the calipers and front rotors, suspension parts, etc.

Bmws are long known for being the worst, but I think these are damn close.

I did a little digging and it looks like a bunch of FK8 guys are using Akebonos with good results. They're about $110 for both F&R from Rock Auto, so I think I'm going to try a set on the Civic (since it's probably getting new wheels real soon) and see what happens. I don't think it can get worse.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Don’t have a type S, but running the genesis brembo’s, which uses the same brake pad as the CTR and ITS. I can confirm there is little to no brake dust with akebono’s. Brake bite isn’t as strong with ceramic brake pads though.

jmoncer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'95 300ZX TT, '13 Frontier, '24 Integra Type S
I swapped my '95 300ZX brakes from stock to the 370 Z Akebono calipers, rotors, and pads. Obviously with the big brake upgrade there was a tremendous increase in stopping power, but overall the Akebono pads were minimal on the dust. Wheels on the Z are gunmetal, but the car is white.

300zx_RH_view.jpg

I only have 500'ish miles on the ITR but I haven't really paid attention to the brake dust on the Bronze wheels. The car and wheels get ceramic coating this week, so I'll start paying attention to that when I pick the car up after my trip through the 24th.