• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ridiculously Low MPG, Whats going on!

OP
OP
tyt2lynnin1

tyt2lynnin1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Thats fair, its the safer side to play on. Ill have to give it a go and if its not too much ill switch over heh zi dont want my engine to wear out either. I heard CVT dont last long!

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
As someone that has driven 3 CVT civics over the years, and driven them how I would drive any other vehicle, which is moderately aggressive on occasional basis just for fun, probably 70% city driving, my CVTs have had zero issues. I can't speak to modded cars, as all of mine have been stock with only upgrades being air filters or tires. I get my cars serviced at the regular intervals when the car gives me the reminders and haven't had any problems arise with any of them.

As many have mentioned, low end torque is the biggest enemy of the CVT, and if I were to mod/reflash I would definitely keep that in mind in choosing a tune to use. But they certainly aren't so fragile that you can't enjoy yourself from time to time mashing the gas or doing some spirited driving.

OP
OP
tyt2lynnin1

tyt2lynnin1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
As someone that has driven 3 CVT civics over the years, and driven them how I would drive any other vehicle, which is moderately aggressive on occasional basis just for fun, probably 70% city driving, my CVTs have had zero issues. I can't speak to modded cars, as all of mine have been stock with only upgrades being air filters or tires. I get my cars serviced at the regular intervals when the car gives me the reminders and haven't had any problems arise with any of them.

As many have mentioned, low end torque is the biggest enemy of the CVT, and if I were to mod/reflash I would definitely keep that in mind in choosing a tune to use. But they certainly aren't so fragile that you can't enjoy yourself from time to time mashing the gas or doing some spirited driving.
Thank you for this reply my friend. This makes me feel a bit more reassured. But what do you mean low end torque is the biggest enemy of CVT. What can I do for my integra to prevent low end torque? Should I go tune it specifically to prevent issues with the transmission so it can last longer?

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Thank you for this reply my friend. This makes me feel a bit more reassured. But what do you mean low end torque is the biggest enemy of CVT. What can I do for my integra to prevent low end torque? Should I go tune it specifically to prevent issues with the transmission so it can last longer?
It sounds like he means torque applied to the cvt while vehicle speed is low. If I am right, it could be clarified to "low speed torque." It would mean avoid sudden acceleration from stops as others have said. I may be wrong, but that's my take.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
It sounds like he means torque applied to the cvt while vehicle speed is low. If I am right, it could be clarified to "low speed torque." It would mean avoid sudden acceleration from stops as others have said. I may be wrong, but that's my take.
Yes, that is what I meant, sorry for the confusing wording.

Most tunes available from reputable sources like hondata/ktuner etc take into account the CVTs particular weak points and allow torque to build gradually from a stop so as not to over-stress the CVT. It's important to just make sure that you're not producing insane torque off the line, once everything is rolling, there shouldn't be any issues. That's why the CVT doesn't feel as aggressive off the line as a manual (or a stepped auto) would, factory tune and reputable tunes try to ease the CVT into the torque the engine produces.

As I mentioned before, having had multiple honda CVTs running factory tune, zero issues with the occasional aggressive acceleration from a stop.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Same same

20230110_203548.jpg

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Nice. Range of 380 miles on full tank means your most likely getting like 30-31mpg. On a full tank I never see 380. Somewhere around 360 but I've been driving hard.
Actually I was posting for the irony that average mpg said 17mpg as the original post said. That and without any actual fix (I'm told) to my car somehow it has not thrown codes in the past 3 weeks.

Anyways.... before winter hit I was about 400mi range for a full tank doing 75/25 city/hwy. The computer mpg was normally 31-33mpg. It always drops as the tank level drops with that pessimistic honda programming. Filled the 12.6 gal tank up today at "30.8mpg" and "18 miles range" for a total of 10.4 gallons. Calculated mpg was almost exactly 30mpg.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
He means don’t hold the brake and gas and launch the car. That’s a lot of tq instantly on the cvt that is idle. Roll into the throttle. Also Phearable’s cvt tune is adjusted to delay the tq down low for safety.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Nice. Range of 380 miles on full tank means your most likely getting like 30-31mpg. On a full tank I never see 380. Somewhere around 360 but I've been driving hard.
I finally hit 400 on a full tank. Hit it right on the nose.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I finally hit 400 on a full tank. Hit it right on the nose.
That happened on my first fillup. It was admittedly almost all highway miles, though.

OP
OP
tyt2lynnin1

tyt2lynnin1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
After a week and a refill im getting roughly 30 to 31 mpg surprisingly bad! I though I would get 40 like most poeple. I been babying it driving like half free way and half local on a cvt with regular gas. Might try premium next time!

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
After a week and a refill im getting roughly 30 to 31 mpg surprisingly bad! I though I would get 40 like most poeple. I been babying it driving like half free way and half local on a cvt with regular gas. Might try premium next time!
Most people are not getting 40mpg. The car is only rated for 30(ish) combined mpg. The only way you could see 40 consistently is driving at 55mph on the highway (or faster with a tailwind).

30-31 is expected combined mileage, not bad. Actually quite good for a car with the same dimensions as an early 2000s Accord.

Here's my current estimate for your reference. Keep in mind, my actual mileage is historically ~1mpg less than the computer.

20230114_203149.jpg

OP
OP
tyt2lynnin1

tyt2lynnin1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Thanks for the data! I thought it was impossible too but they said they getting 39mpg. No idea how but maybe its incorrect? Anyway im still happy with 30-31 :)