• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Oscillating noise when driving at around 3500 RPM (any drive mode, any gear)

danielrs

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Hey, happy to join the forum! Got my 2024 Integra Type S a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it a lot (besides some interior rattles that I had to fix).

What's the actual problem? After 600 miles of driving I started pushing the car a little bit more and I noticed that there's a vibrating / oscillating sound coming from the outside of the car when the RPM(s) hit 3000-4000, most noticeable when driving at around 3500 RPM and keeping it there by lightly pressing the accelerator. This happens in any gear, though the easiest to reproduce is in 3rd gear, maybe because that's the sweet spot for legal cruising speed and RPM.

I've heard this could be normal due to the engine resonating that those RPM, but how much noise is considered normal vs. an actual issue. I attached a file with the best recording I could do, the oscillating noise starts at about 3-4 seconds in when I hit 3500 RPM, and lasts till the end of the audio (ignoring the rattle / mosquito-like sound, that's the dashcam housing).

Honestly this is my first car of this kind, so I'm not sure if it's normal noise, wastegate noise, heat-shield rattle, or something else?

Probably a related thread, can't confirm if it's the same noise:
Drivetrain vibration / metal rattle sound | IntegraForums - 2023+ Acura Integra & Type S Forums, News, Owners, Discussions

Listen recording below (might need to bump up your volume):

Last edited:

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Video won't load for me.

Is it a rattle or an engine / exhaust note noise?

There are, in my opinion, very fun changes in the engine / exhaust note when decelerating between 3 and 4k rpm, which I believe are the result of a combination of VTC and wastegate flutter.

The noises do not give the impression that they might be a problem, though, unlike the wastegate rattle (which is present at low rpm on throttle).

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Yeah I can't hear anything other than a buzzing sound in the audio; sounds like a washing machine TBH. Can't help you there....

But everything you're describing sounds like the same "wastegate" issue that many, many folks have talked about and most say it doesn't bother them.

It does bother me but I just deal with it. It doesn't sound "normal" but if it's just something I have to accept then I'll learn to live with it. It is my only significant gripe with the car though.

Here's what I think is the most accurate depiction of the noise I've been able to find online. It's a Civic, but this "issue" applies to both the ITS and CTR, apparently FK8 and FL5.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/recent-new-rattle-noise.52473/#post-871127

Tardycardshark

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I am having a similar rattle issue, in sport mode around 4500 RPMs in any gear is sounds like a tin can high frequency rattle coming from the dash. If I rev threw to the redline it comes on as I pass 4500 and goes off somewhere north of 5500, it seems like something is resonating I just cant find out from where. I have an appointment with the dealer to see if they can address it, did you guys have any success with them?

the only other noise I've heard sounds like a cicada (winding) noise when I accelerate at any time.

I am going to check under my seat to see if its the adjuster bar talked about in the Type R forums but I don't think it will be

I realize I am being pretty picky, these are minor things that with any volume of the radio are not noticeable. I love the car and the way it drives.

OP
OP

danielrs

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Video won't load for me.

Is it a rattle or an engine / exhaust note noise?

There are, in my opinion, very fun changes in the engine / exhaust note when decelerating between 3 and 4k rpm, which I believe are the result of a combination of VTC and wastegate flutter.

The noises do not give the impression that they might be a problem, though, unlike the wastegate rattle (which is present at low rpm on throttle).
Not actually a video just a sound file, couldn't upload MP3 so uploaded as an audio-only video.

About the noise, is more than an exhaust oscillating noise (but it could be a deep rattle too); optronix described it as a washing / drying machine which I would say is very spot on. The noise happens when I keep the RPM at 3500 by lightly tapping on the pedal, rather than decelerating.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I had a buzz in the dashboard that was present from 0-35mph and picked up volume or frequency toward 3,000 RPM. By 35mph or 4th gear, it somehow disappeared. It sounded like it was coming from the HUD area or from behind the head unit, but I couldn't feel it with my hand and pressing around didn't cure or worsen it.

It's hard to say based on the audio (kudos to you for trying, must've been a pain), but you'll know the wastegate sound once you hear it--put the windows down and let the car decelerate (no brakes) from 3500 RPM and it might faintly sound like a grinding brake bearing. Maybe that'll help you rule out the wastegate?

norsairius

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
I am having a similar rattle issue, in sport mode around 4500 RPMs in any gear is sounds like a tin can high frequency rattle coming from the dash. If I rev threw to the redline it comes on as I pass 4500 and goes off somewhere north of 5500, it seems like something is resonating I just cant find out from where. I have an appointment with the dealer to see if they can address it, did you guys have any success with them?

the only other noise I've heard sounds like a cicada (winding) noise when I accelerate at any time.
I don't know what exactly is different between the engine in the 2021+ TLX and the ITS/CTR, but both of these noises are present in my TLX.

The first sound you described sounds more lilke it's coming from the engine bay (at least to me) and it reminds me of the wastegate rattle sounds that a couple of my VWs had. This was resolved with a retention clip though that VW provided at no cost via TSB. The noise doesn't appear to present any reliability or safety issues, but it's just annoying and can sound cheap.

As for the cicada/winding noise, I thought that was interesting too. I got a recording from inside the engine bay a while and it's fairly loud! I have no idea what it is though and it doesn't seem to have caused any issues. Edit: I notice it more when I'm coasting and off throttle. I don't hear it while accelerating like you said you do, so maybe it's different sound...

That said, I unfortunately don't have any ideas on how to fix these, but I thought I'd at least chime in as a data point for someone else who has observed these same "issues" though with a different, but related car/engine.

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
No bullshit; while in the driver seat, wrap your forearm around the passenger side of the center console and give that panel a little slap or two. I had the same noise in my ‘23 preorder teggy. There is a harness or clip on the interior of the console that may be causing it. Worked for me and I believe another meme we here had it dismantled and re-tightened everything up with electrical tape, etc

OP
OP

danielrs

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I'll try to get a better recording today, in my case I get the noise while lightly accelerating and keeping the RPM at constant 3500 RPM give or take.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Does it sound like this?

There it is. Best video of this on the internet.

Also FWIW it makes me feel a little better because mine isn't quite that bad... yet, at least.

OP
OP

danielrs

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Tried to get a better recording but failed... Neither my phone nor my dash cam can get a clear sound. The recording in my first post is the closest.