• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buzzing noise under throttle [cross post under issues]

BluePAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150 Lightning, Integra Type S
I've noticed a buzzing sound while under throttle in my ITS. I've found on a CTR forum someone who posted about having the same issue and posted a video of the sound (linked below). Although seemingly there wasn't a definitive answer of if it was normal or not. Does anyone else notice the sound or should I bring it into the dealer?
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/buzzing-sound-when-accelerating.64122/

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
Is it the same issue? Other threads talk about being OFF throttle, with explanations on why it's only happening off throttle. This question is ON throttle. I also have a vibration when on throttle. Sounds like it's coming from the dashboard.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Is it the same issue? Other threads talk about being OFF throttle, with explanations on why it's only happening off throttle. This question is ON throttle. I also have a vibration when on throttle. Sounds like it's coming from the dashboard.
It's kind of both. I'm not sure of the exact science of why this particular electronic wastegate is noisy on the K20C1/8, or if 100% it's the same issue. Some internet people say it's something ALL "modern electronic wastegates" do but I've had several other "modern" turbo cars that did not exhibit the same symptoms.

Hell I'm not even sure the issue on my car is actually related to the wastegate- and I've also got more than one "buzzing" noise I've heard independent of this issue... but I can duplicate the sound most consistently by hovering just barely on throttle around 2500-4000 rpm. But I can also hear a buzz when I rev the car under no load, and under "engine braking" with no throttle as well.

Where there's smoke generally there's fire, and enough people have made note of this issue that it's at the very least worthy of consideration. It seems to be virtually universal with these cars. It's exceedingly rare to my experience where someone straight up says their car doesn't make this noise (although some do say they don't notice it...).

FWIW mine has at least perceptively gotten better over time. I.e., I don't notice it as much as I used to.

The damn seat belt tensioner though seems to be getting worse but it goes away when I press on it so I haven't bothered trying a more permanent fix... And also I have a buzz coming from the engine "area" that may or may not actually be the dashboard. I think it's the engine cover and it strangely only is noticeable right after a cold start (in colder temps).

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
I *think* I heard the same sound under the blowers at a car wash. (blasphemy, I know) Heavy blowers hitting the vents under the windshield.

...I could be making this up, it happened quickly and I wasn't looking for anything at the time.

OP
OP

BluePAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
this only seemingly can be heard when on throttle, i dont hear the off throttle wastegate noise everyone usually refers to, FWIW the noise is more noticeable with throttle under load vs parked and revving (im not even sure i hear it it then)

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
I have the same problem with mine.. Posted a vid of it a while back and I can clearly hear it with my ears however the microphone doesn't seem to get the sound well. The buzzing only starts when tach hits about 4300 till about 6000.. I have traced the sound to something in the DASH itself and not under the hood.
I am going to ask dealership to investigate at first oil change but pretty sure I am gonna get the run around. (wonder if when I install the new rear motor mount it will qwell the sound or increase it)
I have also noticed ambient temperature affects it and sometimes with heat on full blast it does not do it.

OP
OP

BluePAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
interesting, mine buzzes at any rpm under load, ill have to try to see if the running the heat on high affects it.

FredS2000

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024Tiger Eye Integra Type-S, 2003 S2000, '99 SVTL
Not sure if what I'm hearing is the same.

Yes, I have the engine vibrations transmitted to the chassis under moderate to heavy load in 1st and 2nd.

I hear, what I'll call a buzz, only on throttle, what I attribute to the HPFP regulator or injectors (more likely the former) When off throttle while moving, fuel is cut off, so the regulator's not being modulated and injectors are shut off, until the engine either is back on throttle or back to idle. There's very little between the intake side of the engine and firewall on these cars other than open space.

It's fairly muted, but, I've heard it before, in of all cars, a Solstice turbo. That thing's regulator is near the firewall and un-insulated. The buzzing and various noises it makes while on throttle in that car is maddening.

A way to find out if it is that, is to pull the upper engine cover and take the insulation blanket off the hpfp and see if it gets noticeably louder in the car.

Also, I'm working on the interior buzzing on the right side of the car, one, the right dash end panel, needs felt tape put on the edges of it, as it vibrates terribly when cold out. My '17 6-6 did that so badly I thought the dash beam was loose and metal was hitting metal. Two, the under dash panel around the passenger's knee bag needs the same, I've pulled both and put felt tape on the edges have stopped the right end panel's noise, the under dash panel I have to pull again and change it a little. as it now doesn't vibrate with engine rpm when cold, but will on occasion buzz on certain bumps.

spyder

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 IS350, 2019 TT Roadster, 2024 ITS
I have the same problem with mine.. Posted a vid of it a while back and I can clearly hear it with my ears however the microphone doesn't seem to get the sound well. The buzzing only starts when tach hits about 4300 till about 6000.. I have traced the sound to something in the DASH itself and not under the hood.
I am going to ask dealership to investigate at first oil change but pretty sure I am gonna get the run around. (wonder if when I install the new rear motor mount it will qwell the sound or increase it)
I have also noticed ambient temperature affects it and sometimes with heat on full blast it does not do it.
I hear a brief but consistent buzz on throttle at around 5000 - 5400 rpm. It also sounds like it's coming from the dash and not the engine bay.

I plan on mentioning it during the first oil change and hopefully having a tech drive with me so I can point it out, but I'm also not expecting much other than getting the run around from the dealer.

I also don't think I really want them tearing up the dash to find the rattle in exchange for other rattles.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I hear a brief but consistent buzz on throttle at around 5000 - 5400 rpm. It also sounds like it's coming from the dash and not the engine bay.

I plan on mentioning it during the first oil change and hopefully having a tech drive with me so I can point it out, but I'm also not expecting much other than getting the run around from the dealer.

I also don't think I really want them tearing up the dash to find the rattle in exchange for other rattles.
I had an issue that sounds a lot like yours--a buzz somewhere in the dashboard, seemingly around the HUD or behind the touchscreen, but it was hard to tell where. Mine was most prominent up to 4,000 RPM at speeds under ~35mph.

From what I understand, the guy who bought my ITS has taken it to the dealership a few times for troubleshooting (the techs can hear it) but they've been unsuccessful in locating/fixing it so far.

I shared your concerns of having someone perform exploratory surgery on the car only to create more buzzes, so I never looked into it.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I finally started to get one that sounds like the dash buzzing against the windshield.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
It's kind of both. I'm not sure of the exact science of why this particular electronic wastegate is noisy on the K20C1/8, or if 100% it's the same issue. Some internet people say it's something ALL "modern electronic wastegates" do but I've had several other "modern" turbo cars that did not exhibit the same symptoms.

Hell I'm not even sure the issue on my car is actually related to the wastegate- and I've also got more than one "buzzing" noise I've heard independent of this issue... but I can duplicate the sound most consistently by hovering just barely on throttle around 2500-4000 rpm. But I can also hear a buzz when I rev the car under no load, and under "engine braking" with no throttle as well.

Where there's smoke generally there's fire, and enough people have made note of this issue that it's at the very least worthy of consideration. It seems to be virtually universal with these cars. It's exceedingly rare to my experience where someone straight up says their car doesn't make this noise (although some do say they don't notice it...).

FWIW mine has at least perceptively gotten better over time. I.e., I don't notice it as much as I used to.

The damn seat belt tensioner though seems to be getting worse but it goes away when I press on it so I haven't bothered trying a more permanent fix... And also I have a buzz coming from the engine "area" that may or may not actually be the dashboard. I think it's the engine cover and it strangely only is noticeable right after a cold start (in colder temps).
A couple of things you can do to address this. I had random buzzes, clicks, or rattles seemingly random or at certain RPMs. I purchased and used three items:

1. Insulating foam tape - Remove interior dash trims and plastic pieces you feel are loose. Tape off the clips going into the insert slots. add foam tape in areas you feel can bump against other pieces of plastic. Next, tape along your door dash trim and the metal door panel. This helps eliminate vibrations/rattles from the plastic not being completely flush to the metal surfaces.

2. Felt adhesive tape - I cut and put along areas like the glove compartment box to give it a more tight fit. When close if you can wiggle it there can be rattles. I also added this to the vents along the dash to ensure it doesn't rattle.

3. Electrical Tape - Added additional electrical tape around electrical connector plastic pieces. Sometimes these find away to click against other plastic components giving annoying clicks and buzzing sounds.

For your engine cover the bolt collar attachments may be loose or misfitted. You can adjust it or add some rubber bushing pieces.

For the most part my rattles have gone away with the occasional mystery buzzes that comes and goes briefly.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
A couple of things you can do to address this. I had random buzzes, clicks, or rattles seemingly random or at certain RPMs. I purchased and used three items:

1. Insulating foam tape - Remove interior dash trims and plastic pieces you feel are loose. Tape off the clips going into the insert slots. add foam tape in areas you feel can bump against other pieces of plastic. Next, tape along your door dash trim and the metal door panel. This helps eliminate vibrations/rattles from the plastic not being completely flush to the metal surfaces.

2. Felt adhesive tape - I cut and put along areas like the glove compartment box to give it a more tight fit. When close if you can wiggle it there can be rattles. I also added this to the vents along the dash to ensure it doesn't rattle.

3. Electrical Tape - Added additional electrical tape around electrical connector plastic pieces. Sometimes these find away to click against other plastic components giving annoying clicks and buzzing sounds.

For your engine cover the bolt collar attachments may be loose or misfitted. You can adjust it or add some rubber bushing pieces.

For the most part my rattles have gone away with the occasional mystery buzzes that comes and goes briefly.
I've found that generally, these types of fixes are temporary at best and depending how intrusive the process is to reach the place that's causing the buzz, can and do lead to actually worsening the issue overall.

I've been dealing with buzzes and rattles in cars long enough where I have a pretty good sense of when something sounds "off" and needs actual attention. Case in point, had a strange noise under specific conditions in a Macan a few years back, I felt that it needed attention from the dealership so brought it in under warranty. Come to find out, a couple of the bolts for the driver's seat were loose from the factory. Cleared the noise right up.

My rule of thumb is if I can consistently duplicate the noise and it bothers me enough to justify going through the logistics of a trip to the dealership, I'll make the appointment. Otherwise I'll just deal with it. I've broken enough stupid panel clips in my time to know it's just not worth it (to me) chasing these things around with felt tape!