• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Next Gen TLX/RLX/Legend Patent Renders

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
So I've seen these for a couple of days now and figured I'd start a discussion. These patent images came from Honda's Japanese patent offices.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/acura-rlx-legend-patent-images/

Now pretty much every other outlet has reported this as the next gen TLX. But Motortrend thinks this is more of an RLX/Legend successor.

I'm personally thinking it's probably just the next TLX though... look at the TLX's biggest gripes currently, it's a huge car, bigger than the accord but with an interior smaller than a civic/integra. And it's massively heavy - partially neutering its performance prospects despite having great engine options.

If the next gen TLX was based more off of the Accord it could see some substantial weight loss, making its current crop of engine options much more potent all while having an interior spacious enough to match it's exterior size. And the current accord is a great car lacking in really only one thing (besides actual exterior styling) and that is more powerful engine choices.

Something else I could see happening that kind of splits the TLX/RLX debate is that the TLX name might go away completely and be replaced by this new model under the Legend name to go along with the resurrected Integra name. Given the unfortunate proliferation of Crossovers and SUVs in the market I really can't imagine a niche brand like Acura selling TWO large sedans, especially if you compare these patents to the current accord (like motortrend did) and imagine them having two similarly sized sedans, but one with far more interior space and a lighter weight - would probably cannibalize TLX sales anyway.

This also gives us some hints that Acura has given second thoughts to it's EV only plan going forward on new models and we could actually see some hybrids and regular ICE models going forward for the time being. Maybe this could be a new platform that supports both ICE and BEV power like the new charger/daytona. They mentioned that the new Series 0 platform would underpin a honda model and the Afeela/Sony partnership car. But I don't know if that platform supports ICE applications or is BEV only.

These patents are also slightly confusing to me because that front grill doesn't look like enough open airflow to support an ICE engine but it has quad exhaust tips out back.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
IMO - It's an EV, the body is just filler, and the tips are there to fool you. The front-end is the only thing on display here, and the rear lights.

rayman.g

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 BMW 325E
That front overhang is immense. I don’t know why they keep trying to shoot for RWD proportions and kneecapping the amount of space inside.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
That front overhang is immense. I don’t know why they keep trying to shoot for RWD proportions and kneecapping the amount of space inside.
Right?!?!

I looked at it and immediately thought of this with wheels:

cd41cf0c0eb75f3e24715fe99260744b.jpg

Let's see what it finally looks like, but I hope the next phase of Acura is to bring back named vehicles, not 3 letter combinations.

Integra, joined by the Legend and then create new name plates for the SUVs, IMHO would be a smart move.

If it is the next gen TLX, I hope they will put it on a diet. I think had the TLX Type S been in the 3600lbs range, I might have pulled the trigger on it before I knew the ITS was coming out.

acurax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
These patents are also slightly confusing to me because that front grill doesn't look like enough open airflow to support an ICE engine but it has quad exhaust tips out back.
Could the front grill and quad exhaust be hinting at an e:FCEV? Or maybe a platform which may have an EV and ICE option?

OP
OP
RobbJK

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Could the front grill and quad exhaust be hinting at an e:FCEV? Or maybe a platform which may have an EV and ICE option?
That was my thought that it could be a platform that supports both options a la the new dodge challenger/daytona. But my guess is that honda would be utilizing their 0 series platform (which is what the Afeela/Sony sedan is using as well). But I don't know if it is dual compatible for powertrains like that.

I would say at this point a fuel cell is probably not gonna happen either due to such limited appeal and availability.

OP
OP
RobbJK

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The article compared the accord and this patent side by side and they have nearly identical proportions and overhangs and I don't think the accord is hurting for interior space - especially compared to the current TLX interior.

I'm biased, I love a long nose on a car, I don't mind a longer front overhang if the rear overhang is shorter (it's why I usually prefer coupes and hatches over sedans).