• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Advice on Integra options vs Civic or ILX for teenager

CMATT77

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Chevy Tahoe, 2023 Ford Bronco
My first car was a used red 1989 Acura Integra coupe (in 1992). Loved it.

Fast forward 20 years and it’s back and I now have a teenager that needs a car. He’s into sporty looking sedans and not 4Runners and trucks like most of the teenage boys.

Question is thoughts on a used 2023 Integra vs a used ILX A Spec or Civic Sport for a teenager? Pros/cons?

Part of me thinks definitely save the $ and get him an ILX or Civic but I’m drawn to the Integra because I love the looks of it.

I also sort of want parking sensors so hopefully he doesn’t back into something but that puts me in the Tech package and more than I want to spend on a teenager.

I can save probably $7-$8k and put him in an ILX with less than 50k miles but…. No hatch, no sensors and no me wanting to drive the car some.

id definitely get the 6MT but wife doesn’t think it’s a good idea for a teenager. I think it would be cool if he learned.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
For a kids first car go cheap. ILX would be reliable and if he does hit something you won't be as upset.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Short answer, any of these cars will be a good choice.

I guess if you have the disposable income you could buy a new car, but personally I don't think it's necessary. Anything ~2012 and up will have virtually the same safety standards and is a head unit upgrade away from having modern tech features that are truly beneficial (i.e., CarPlay/AA). But really a lot of it boils down to philosophy.

Personally, I'm sort of on the fence about modern tech features being used as "a crutch" for skipping the development of crucial driving habits. I recall when I had my first car with lane change assist, I did occasionally get lazy and rely on the indicators too much... until I nearly ran into someone I would have seen if I looked over my shoulder so no more of that. But I also see the merit to having them and learning with them as an "aid" rather than a crutch... just as long as your coaching takes and the kids actually develop the proper habits.

Same goes for a manual transmission; it does add complexity to the learning process, and ultimately it's a novelty. There really is absolutely no need to learn a manual these days unless you just want that obscure skill, or you're an enthusiast. That said, me being an enthusiast did rub off some and my oldest actually asked to swap out to a manual after he'd been driving for a year or so and I granted him that wish... he went from a 2016 Golf to a 2012 Civic Si, and he absolutely loves that car- but it was his choice. Learning manual alongside the "rules of the road" may be an unnecessary overindulgence for a new driver, I think I agree with your wife.

In any case, any relatively modern Honda or Acura will be a great choice for a teenager. Just look for one in the best condition you can find that isn't asking an unreasonable amount, do your typical due diligence and it will be solid, reliable transportation for as long as they want to keep it around.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I second going with the manual. My son started with it and is glad he knows how to drive it, and loves the engagement with the car. Just started off having him shift for me, then took it slow in the neighborhood. He picked it up pretty quick.

OP
OP
CMATT77

CMATT77

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the replies. Yeah my oldest son learned and first drove my 12 year old truck that I passed down. I thought; perfect teenage car to get banged up. Until he backed into a car because he just didn’t see it.

Lesson learned? Sure. Damage to truck? Not too bad. Damage to other car? Yes! And all could have easily been avoided with a backup parking sensor.

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech 6MT
Fast forward 20 years?? lol. Try 30 years. I know…time flies!

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
He likes car...let him pick it unless its a susprise...civics are dime a dozen...get the integra..jmho

OP
OP
CMATT77

CMATT77

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
He likes car...let him pick it unless its a susprise...civics are dime a dozen...get the integra..jmho
Honestly that is the main reason and not sure it’s a good one but I do think if it. I’ve yet to see an Integra here in my smaller college town. Civics are everywhere. I just can’t separate the “buying for a 16 YO” vs buying for me! We first set budget (based on nothing but just picking a number) at under $20k but now all the sudden I’m trying to stay under $30k…

OP
OP
CMATT77

CMATT77

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honestly that is the main reason and not sure it’s a good one but I do think if it. I’ve yet to see an Integra here in my smaller college town. Civics are everywhere. I just can’t separate the “buying for a 16 YO” vs buying for me! We first set budget (based on nothing but just picking a number) at under $20k but now all the sudden I’m trying to stay under $30k…
That and also the thought if I buy him a newer used car I can be done with it (big if assuming it’s not in accident) but get him through college and still be in good shape to get him started. As opposed to getting him something older and he needs a car in or right after college potentially…

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
I get it...we just drop a tad over 20k on a used corrolla for the grand daughter (not a car girl at all)..its just money end of the day...same thoughts about her keeping it for the next 8-10 years

Gernett

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 MDX SHAWD Tech,2024 Integra Type S PRP
I think ILX would be great since it is his first car. Makes him more aware of his surronding. Plus I believe everyone should experince with a NA engine before going into a force induction engine. The curve is more natrual and easier to control. It is less stressful to drive an automatic but it is also fun to start with a manual too

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
It looks like I'll be the first here to plug a Civic Si--it's every bit as sporty looking as the Integra (especially the 10th Gen), gets you the manual transmission that he can learn on and you can enjoy playing with from time to time, should be cheaper than an ILX or newer Civic Sport, and you can choose between a coupe and sedan (how many friends do you want your kid toting around?). At this point, I see a manual transmission as a safety feature, but you'd have to get your wife and kid on board.

I love the usability of a hatch, and the Si won't check that box, but it's such a small car that parking sensors shouldn't be all that necessary. You know your kid best. Some kids might need parking sensors.

There's nothing fun or exciting about an ILX. There, I said it. Now your kid doesn't have to. 🤣

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
For a young driver I'd find something with better rear visibility than an Integra. What I learned in was like a fish tank on wheels compared to what we drive today. Cameras and sensors are a crutch that too many people rely on because they bought too big of a suv.

If he's interested in mechanics something slightly older, like 5+ yrs or so, will start to need a bit of maintenance that he might want to do himself. My most formative years were spent crawling around scrap yards keeping my shitbox on the road.