• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Advice on Integra options vs Civic or ILX for teenager

OP
OP
CMATT77

CMATT77

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Chevy Tahoe, 2023 Ford Bronco
For a young driver I'd find something with better rear visibility than an Integra. What I learned in was like a fish tank on wheels compared to what we drive today. Cameras and sensors are a crutch that too many people rely on because they bought too big of a suv.

If he's interested in mechanics something slightly older, like 5+ yrs or so, will start to need a bit of maintenance that he might want to do himself. My most formative years were spent crawling around scrap yards keeping my shitbox on the road.
In theory, I’d love him to learn how to work on the vehicle. Realistically he plays 2 high school sports that takes up 90% of his/our time so I’m looking for max reliability and longevity with minimal disruptions and just reach him to watch for proper regular maintenance. I like the idea of the traditional 8-speed auto in the ILX vs the CVT (if I don’t win on manual) but maybe the CVTs are much better now.

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
If you need some leverage for the manual, it's a great way to prevent most of his friends from wanting to drive his car. Also I'm of the belief that if he learns to drive manual young in a controlled environment (parking lot, with parents for guidance, etc) he'll be better off than if he decides 5 years from now to do it on his own by himself on a busy road.

I learned stick (and to drive in general) on a 95 Integra and the only time I was really "overwhelmed" was the first few days where I was (in a parking lot) paying more attention to what my feet were doing than the road. I got the hang of it pretty quickly and before long, the shifting became second nature.

Regarding the price of the car, my wife told me when she got her first car, her parents gave her a budget. "We'll pay x dollars toward y car, and if you want to upgrade to a more expensive car, you're responsible for the difference".

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
In theory, I’d love him to learn how to work on the vehicle. Realistically he plays 2 high school sports that takes up 90% of his/our time so I’m looking for max reliability and longevity with minimal disruptions and just reach him to watch for proper regular maintenance. I like the idea of the traditional 8-speed auto in the ILX vs the CVT (if I don’t win on manual) but maybe the CVTs are much better now.
If you don't live anywhere with 4 seasons, I'd reco a used Miata or Brz. Both easy to drive manuals with enough pep to be fun, not enough to get into too much trouble. With the added benefit of making him a better driver in the long run.

Otherwise if he's dead set on a sedan, instead of the ILX maybe consider a low mileage 2018+ 2.0T Accord they're available in manual or proper auto (not cvt, caveat the only good cvts are Hondas and Subarus) with a turbo K20 variant.

Any Civic SI would probably be a happy medium.

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
Went through this same decision about a year ago and due to the cost of used cars then we decided to order a new Si and wait for it to come in. Our local dealer was MSRP only (still no ADM) so we picked it up this past May. Our son is 10 hours away for college so I got peace of mind that he has a reliable auto for back and forth to home and while he travels to and from practice etc while at college. And honestly, buying brand new was less than buying a 2-3 year old vehicle (not sure if that’s still the case). But he wanted a manual transmission so that narrowed the field quite a bit.

TheRas900

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Macan S, '16 ES350 and hopefully a '23 Integra
I leased an Integra A Spec Tech for my 16 year old son, and have had the ILX as a service loaner when my Integra needed service. I would say any of these work. I think the weak spots are as follows. ILX accelerates faster compared with a little CVT bog (not a bad thing for a teen driver!), Integra - rear visibility, Civic Sport - no park sensors.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
My first car was a used red 1989 Acura Integra coupe (in 1992). Loved it.

Fast forward 20 years and it’s back and I now have a teenager that needs a car. He’s into sporty looking sedans and not 4Runners and trucks like most of the teenage boys.

Question is thoughts on a used 2023 Integra vs a used ILX A Spec or Civic Sport for a teenager? Pros/cons?

Part of me thinks definitely save the $ and get him an ILX or Civic but I’m drawn to the Integra because I love the looks of it.

I also sort of want parking sensors so hopefully he doesn’t back into something but that puts me in the Tech package and more than I want to spend on a teenager.

I can save probably $7-$8k and put him in an ILX with less than 50k miles but…. No hatch, no sensors and no me wanting to drive the car some.

id definitely get the 6MT but wife doesn’t think it’s a good idea for a teenager. I think it would be cool if he learned.
In my opinion, the perfect car for a teenager right now, is a Honda Civic Sport.
The Sport has the 6-speed manual as an option which I highly recommend, it is one of the best, most engaging, fun too drive yet easy to drive and easy to learn manual in and is bullet proof.
the whole platform is, the 2.0-liter 4 cylinder with port injection is a bullet proof engine, that you can expect 300jk or more with good oil changes.
The car is nearly perfect in that it is super reliable, low cost of ownership, great gas mileage, very practical 4 door with a hatch, and fun to drive and engaging, something rare in this segment.
Plus, it is a Honda, they just do cars right.
For 27,500 brand new you will not find a better option in my opinion. PLUS, it is a buyers' market, just flipped, a great time to go hunt one down, find a used 2023 that was out early like August 2022
These cars hold their value though so for my money, I would just buy a new one.

OP
OP
CMATT77

CMATT77

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In my opinion, the perfect car for a teenager right now, is a Honda Civic Sport.
The Sport has the 6-speed manual as an option which I highly recommend, it is one of the best, most engaging, fun too drive yet easy to drive and easy to learn manual in and is bullet proof.
the whole platform is, the 2.0-liter 4 cylinder with port injection is a bullet proof engine, that you can expect 300jk or more with good oil changes.
The car is nearly perfect in that it is super reliable, low cost of ownership, great gas mileage, very practical 4 door with a hatch, and fun to drive and engaging, something rare in this segment.
Plus, it is a Honda, they just do cars right.
For 27,500 brand new you will not find a better option in my opinion. PLUS, it is a buyers' market, just flipped, a great time to go hunt one down, find a used 2023 that was out early like August 2022
These cars hold their value though so for my money, I would just buy a new one.
Thanks for the input! I don’t disagree whatsoever. When I started looking at Civic Sports in hatchback I was surprised how much they held value. In fact, used ones were sometimes more than new ones (I guess they were hard to find for a while?). I do NOT like the last body style (2021 and older) in hatchback whatsoever. It looks chopped off. Prefer the sedan in that body. I do like the new hatch quite a bit. Just a shorter Integra (or the Integra is a longer Civic). Also agree that if I’m looking at $25k for a used one why not just get a new one for $28k. And that thinking is what led me to looking at the Integra but preowned.

Ultimately I’m really down to 3 vehicles:
1. Used Integra A Spec with CVT or possibly A Spec Tech with manual
Unique, not as many around,
2. New Civic Sport (likely a CVT- hard to find in manual)
- Give up remote start, leather, rear sensors (if Tech)
3. ILX A Spec 2020+
Cheaper, no sensors, outdated infotainment system. Better auto transmission.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Si sedan (now 2023 Ford Focus ST-Line X)
My first car was a used red 1989 Acura Integra coupe (in 1992). Loved it.

Fast forward 20 years and it’s back and I now have a teenager that needs a car. He’s into sporty looking sedans and not 4Runners and trucks like most of the teenage boys.

Question is thoughts on a used 2023 Integra vs a used ILX A Spec or Civic Sport for a teenager? Pros/cons?

Part of me thinks definitely save the $ and get him an ILX or Civic but I’m drawn to the Integra because I love the looks of it.

I also sort of want parking sensors so hopefully he doesn’t back into something but that puts me in the Tech package and more than I want to spend on a teenager.

I can save probably $7-$8k and put him in an ILX with less than 50k miles but…. No hatch, no sensors and no me wanting to drive the car some.

id definitely get the 6MT but wife doesn’t think it’s a good idea for a teenager. I think it would be cool if he learned.
My older son is 12, my plan is to get him a 10th gen Civic hatch Sport 6mT (he loves the look). But we'll see how he does learning stick, a CVT might be better for him to have less to worry about as he learns to drive.

I think you absolutely want Sensing or something equivalent and parking sensors. Yes, we learned without those but many kids also got into fatal car crashes, that Sensing might have prevented. So I would not get an ILX, no way.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I leased a 2016 VW GTI and at the end of the 3 year lease bought it for 16k. Only had 25k miles on it. Passed it down to my son and he's been driving it for 4 years. Taught him stick on it. Very practical car, he's done his own maintenance, and even modded the crap out of it , all from watching you tube videos, with money he's earned working. Car has been awesome. Insurance was like $200 a month when he first got his license and knock wood has come down ever sense. I love honda too, but the GTI was so good, that after 4 years in a big comfy sport sedan, I've returned to my hot hatch roots with the ITS.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
Thanks for the input! I don’t disagree whatsoever. When I started looking at Civic Sports in hatchback I was surprised how much they held value. In fact, used ones were sometimes more than new ones (I guess they were hard to find for a while?). I do NOT like the last body style (2021 and older) in hatchback whatsoever. It looks chopped off. Prefer the sedan in that body. I do like the new hatch quite a bit. Just a shorter Integra (or the Integra is a longer Civic). Also agree that if I’m looking at $25k for a used one why not just get a new one for $28k. And that thinking is what led me to looking at the Integra but preowned.

Ultimately I’m really down to 3 vehicles:
1. Used Integra A Spec with CVT or possibly A Spec Tech with manual
Unique, not as many around,
2. New Civic Sport (likely a CVT- hard to find in manual)
- Give up remote start, leather, rear sensors (if Tech)
3. ILX A Spec 2020+
Cheaper, no sensors, outdated infotainment system. Better auto transmission.
Personally, the 1.5 turbo scares me, I don't Like it, I think the 2.0 liter non turbo will last longer and be trouble free in comparison, but to each his own.

OP
OP
CMATT77

CMATT77

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally, the 1.5 turbo scares me, I don't Like it, I think the 2.0 liter non turbo will last longer and be trouble free in comparison, but to each his own.
What is it about the 1.5 turbo that you don't think is as good as the 2.0 liter in the Civic Sport?