• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Spare Tire

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
BKK JACK , Did Modern Spare honor your refund request?

I went to my Acura dealer yesterday. They told me the spare tire kit will ship in April. As they asked what trim level Integra I had, I guess that there is more than one size spare tire available.
At this point I think I would rather have the correct spare tire kit from Acura than a generic replacement from the aftermarket.
Yes, and very easily. In their initial response with the explanation about hub centric and lug centric wheels, they offered to send me a hub-centric ring as an alternative to returning the wheel. I told them I would prefer to return it and within an hour or so, they responded with a prepaid return label; no muss, no fuss. The hardest part was carrying the wheel through the parking lot to drop it off at FedEx, because I still had to park as far away as possible from every other car in the lot. :)

FedEx tracking says it should be delivered today. I hope to see my refund shortly after it gets there.

carl3pedals

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT

dima_n

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra
My approach ended up being expensive, probably could have gotten a full size tire for the same price. The 125/80/R17 I ordered separately from Tire Rack. Ordered the rest from a local Honda dealer. I guess the only benefit here is that, when it becomes available I can order the foam insert that fits over the spare and it will hopefully fit perfectly.

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
74652-SDA-003​
Bolt, Spare Tire​
$4.56​
1​
$4.56​
74651-S2X-003​
Adapter, Spare Tire​
$5.95​
1​
$5.95​
42700-T2A-L51​
Wheel, Spare​
$82.46​
1​
$82.46​
89310-SHJ-A01​
Jack Assembly, Pantograph​
$21.13​
1​
$21.13​
89320-TBA-A01​
Bar, Jack​
$2.96​
1​
$2.96​
89211-SE3-003​
Wrench, Wheel​
$19.51​
1​
$19.51​

Last edited:

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Wheels can be either lug centric or hub centric. Most modern lug nut equipped vehicles are actually both from the factory. Using a wheel that is lug centric will work and be fine due to the concentric fitment of the lug nuts and the countersink on the wheels. Those with lug bolts need to be hub (bore) centric to avoid the shear forces. There also shear forces when it comes to lug centric wheels on a vehicle that has lug studs/nuts if the tolerances are not within spec. There is also the question of the shear strength of the lug studs. Shear strength is typically 75% tensile strength as a general rule. Nowadays, engineers use computer programs to model these instead of doing their calculations then adding 25-50% on top to make sure they don't kill anyone. The increased digitalization has reduced manufacturing costs but also reduced the safety margin in the engineering process. The old approach accounts for the shear strength to exceed what is needed to convert to "lug centric." I have not been a part of this new engineering process but do have experience working with a few graduates of this new generation and can safely say, the margin for error is much smaller.

Tl;Dr the "modern spare" wheel likely won't cause an issue but you are their customer and they should not be lazy when it comes to your safety as well as the safety of the others that share the road with you.

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
Tl;Dr the "modern spare" wheel likely won't cause an issue but you are their customer and they should not be lazy when it comes to your safety as well as the safety of the others that share the road with you.
Facts be damned, I'm still not buying it. As much as I've seen the service monkeys fuck up the simplest tasks - probably because management is rushing them to get a job the book says takes 4 hours in 2 - as long as cars have hubs, I'm only going to use wheels with bores that match.

OP
OP
2006rsx

2006rsx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 RSX. Also owned a 1998 GS-R
My approach ended up being expensive, probably could have gotten a full size tire for the same price. The 125/80/R17 I ordered separately from Tire Rack. Ordered the rest from a local Honda dealer. I guess the only benefit here is that, when it becomes available I can order the foam insert that fits over the spare and it will hopefully fit perfectly.

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
74652-SDA-003​
Bolt, Spare Tire​
$4.56​
1​
$4.56​
74651-S2X-003​
Adapter, Spare Tire​
$5.95​
1​
$5.95​
42700-T2A-L51​
Wheel, Spare​
$82.46​
1​
$82.46​
89310-SHJ-A01​
Jack Assembly, Pantograph​
$21.13​
1​
$21.13​
89320-TBA-A01​
Bar, Jack​
$2.96​
1​
$2.96​
89211-SE3-003​
Wrench, Wheel​
$19.51​
1​
$19.51​
I think you are missing an important piece. The cover for the wheel well. it runs about $100.00.

OP
OP
2006rsx

2006rsx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here is the solution I am working on for the spare issue. It should end up being less expensive than most:
Jack- from a salvage yard- includes tools and foam.- 50.00
spare tire from Accord from salvage yard- tire and wheel-$100.00
foam to cover wheel well- still working on that.

BTW- I got the tire hold down screw with the spare tire included in the price.

carl3pedals

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Based on the info JeremyC provided in the other thread (posts 11 and 13 of https://www.integraforums.com/forum...-wheels-on-an-integra-base.50506/#post-824435), I bought a full size tire and wheel from TireRack.
Here is the tire I bought: Continental ProContact TX 215/50R17 91H
The wheel I bought was the basic steel wheel (very plain) with 17 inch diameter and 7 inch width. I chose this wheel because I could not find a fancier looking one at TireRack which looked close enough to the wheels on my 2023 ATech to make it worth the extra money. So I went with the ugly+cheap option.

I have not yet mounted it to prove it fits on all 4 wheels (I need to borrow a jack from other family members, later).

It does fit in the spare tire well, with the folding trunk floor sitting flat enough to satisfy me (just the tire is there: I removed the original foam filler thing that came with my car):
The edges of the folding trunk floor touch where they are supposed to touch at the left and right edges, so for any cargo-carrying needs, this is good enough for me.
I can feel a small bulge near the center of the folding floor if I put my hand in the area a few inches forward of where the moveable trunk floor folds, so the foldable trunk floor is not actually 100% flat. But visually, or for carrying cargo, it is fine. And I love the idea of having a full size spare without any goofy range or speed limitations.

A note on tire width: the specs I found 2 days ago on a (non-Continental) web site for the Continental ProContact TX 215/50R17 91H tire said it was 8.5 inches wide. Upon arrival I measured its width at about 8 and 13/16 inches wide. And just now I found another site (https://tiresize.com/tires/Continental/ProContact-TX-215-50R17.htm) saying it is 8.9 inches wide. This is the critical dimension for whether a full size tire is going to fit in the spare tire well. There might be other tire choices that might be even a 1/4 inch less wide than this one and be a better fit.

I will post again later after I have had a chance to prove whether this tire+wheel actually works on the front of my 2023 ATech.

Last edited:

carl3pedals

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
I did put this full size spare on the front, and did a quick local drive where I got up to only 45mph. It seemed fine. I hope these pictures will help answer questions for others who might want to get a full size spare tire. The first 4 pics (the second shows the tire width, and the third shows that the outer tire diameter seems to match that of the original tires that came on my ATech):

tire_label_8215.jpg

tire_width_8217.jpg

tire_size_comparison_8219.jpg

tire_wheel_on_front_8228.jpg

Last edited:

carl3pedals

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
The next 2 pics show the tire+wheel sitting in the spare well, first from above, the second a near-horizontal view with the folding trunk floor half open (shows tire is in contact with folding trunk floor):

tire_wheel_in_spare_well_8229.jpg

spare_well_floor_half_open_8231.jpg

carl3pedals

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
The last two pics show the bulging. The first shows my hand where the bulging of the folding trunk floor is most noticeable. The second show the left edge of the folding floor - a close look shows it is not totally in place. It is close enough for me, and I don't think would be noticeable to anyone who casually opens the hatch. And I don't think it impairs the ability to use the hatch area for cargo. I chose this tire because it is what comes standard on the Acura base. A different tire with the same diameter but perhaps 1/4 inch smaller in width might eliminate the bulge.

where_floor_bulges_up_8225.jpg

left_edge_floor_spare_in_place_8234.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
2006rsx

2006rsx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
thanks for your detailed info. I tried a compact spare. it fit the car, and drove ok. My only concern is the clearance on the front brake is very small. Did you happen to put your hand in there to see how much room there is between the brake caliper and the wheel?

carl3pedals

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
This picture attempts to show the "radius" dimension from the center of the hub, to the outermost clearance point of the disk brake assembly, on one of the front wheels. The "10" inch mark on the ruler was centered on the hub, so the radius dimension was a little over 7 inches. I can't speak for what offset clearance is needed. My impression was that the 17" spare wheel that I bought cleared the disk brake assembly with ease, but I did not stick my hand back there to prove by how much. I am not a wheel and tire expert, but I think the 17" size of the wheel refers to its outer diameter, not inner clearance.

IMG_8227.JPG

OP
OP
2006rsx

2006rsx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for taking the time to measure. You are correct that the 17" refers to the tire diameter. I am not sure what you are referring to about "offset". Because I had read here and other places about the front brake being larger than the rear, I tested the compact spare I purchased to make sure it would work on the front. I mounted it and it spun freely. but there is only 1/4" clearance between the brake caliper (the area in your picture where the 3 is on the ruler) and the inside of the wheel.