• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Spare Tire

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
I got my Modern Spare this morning. At first glance it looks like the bore is way too big. It's a little cold and windy outside now, so maybe I'll do a test fit later.

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Okay, that didn't go well. My somewhat miscalibrated eyeball was correct, although to be fair it's so far off Dare Devil could have seen it.

52624527052_bac41ef7cc_b.jpg

I sent them an email asking for a shipping a shipping label to return it and for a refund. Let's see what happens.

The day wasn't a total loss, though. One of the things that bugged me about this car was that there was no way to prop up the hatch floor to get to the tray underneath it, or where I had hoped my spare tire would live. In a burst of inspiration, I grabbed an old shoe lace and Robert was almost immediately a sibling of one of my parents.

52625290869_18abfecd9c_b.jpg

52625290879_2f0daa90a0_b.jpg

The string is hidden by my TuxMat. Visible only for the picture.

OP
OP
2006rsx

2006rsx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 RSX. Also owned a 1998 GS-R
Okay, that didn't go well. My somewhat miscalibrated eyeball was correct, although to be fair it's so far off Dare Devil could have seen it.

I sent them an email asking for a shipping a shipping label to return it and for a refund. Let's see what happens.

The day wasn't a total loss, though. One of the things that bugged me about this car was that there was no way to prop up the hatch floor to get to the tray underneath it, or where I had hoped my spare tire would live. In a burst of inspiration, I grabbed an old shoe lace and Robert was almost immediately a sibling of one of my parents.

didnt know that was there!!

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Didn't know what was there?

OP
OP
2006rsx

2006rsx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm wondering that too, does the rear mat lay flat with both the tire and foam tool holder?
unless I missed something, this was too low. I put in the spare and the accord foam on top. It was too low and not big enough. Might be able to put something underneath to raise it. Or you need to buy a piece of foam to put on top off it.

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
that thread to

never mind. i see what you did with the shoelace. BTW- you can also fold it.
I thought about that, but a half-hearted try made me think I might damage it.

edlchiang62

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura A-spec

[/QU
Was this spare tire/wheel that you received from Modern Spare.? If so it did not fit correctly?

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Was this the spare tire/wheel that you received from Modern Spare.? If soit did not fit correctly?
Yes it is and no it didn't. The bore of the wheel is something over 70mm, when I'm pretty sure it should be 64.1mm. I'm sure I could get an adapter for it, but now it's a matter of principle. They charge a hell of a lot of money for a wheel/tire they say fits and send me one that doesn't? Completely unacceptable.

edlchiang62

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura A-spec
Yes it is and no it didn't. The bore of the wheel is something over 70mm, when I'm pretty sure it should be 64.1mm. I'm sure I could get an adapter for it, but now it's a matter of principle. They charge a hell of a lot of money for a wheel/tire they say fits and send me one that doesn't? Completely unacceptable.
Please note I did not actually do this myself, but I went into my Acura dealership to get a couple of accessories installed and I had the tech person check if the tire/wheel kit from Modern Spare fit. The service advisor said the tech put spare tire/wheel on the front of the car since it had the largest brakes and it fit fine. Again I did not do this myself and I really don't know what a bore is!

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Please note I did not actually do this myself, but I went into my Acura dealership to get a couple of accessories installed and I had the tech person check if the tire/wheel kit from Modern Spare fit. The service advisor said the tech put spare tire/wheel on the front of the car since it had the largest brakes and it fit fine. Again I did not do this myself and I really don't know what a bore is!
The bore of a wheel is the diameter of the hole in the middle. It is a critical measurement because it has to precisely mate with the hub on the car. If you look at my picture, the hub is the small raised ring that has no rust on it. You can see the space between it and the wheel bore easily, because of the visable surface rust. It shouldn't look like that. The bore of the wheel and the hub have to match, because that is what carries the weight of the car. The lugs don't carry any weight and aren't designed to. All they do is hold the wheel onto the hub.

Bottom line, you might want to test fit it yourself. If it looks like mine, I wouldn't use it and contact Modern Spare to return and either exchange it for the proper fitting wheel - if they have them - or get your money back.

First Name
Johnny B
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra (tech/A-spec/6-speed)
that picture is it in the car. there is a small gap.....maybe an inch towards the back of the hatch between the floor and parts tray as it doesn't go all the way to the rear. so, there is some flex in the cover over that area. i wouldn't think some groceries or a golf bag would change the outcome. i wouldn't stock bricks or mulch back there, but it works great for regular things. just my opinion.

OP
OP
2006rsx

2006rsx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
correct on the bore size!

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I got a response from Modern Spare this morning. I don't know that much about cars, but I'm pretty sure that matching the wheel bore to the hub diameter is pretty critical. Modern Spare's response included an explanation of the difference between hub centric and lug centric.

The Honda and Acura model actually use Lug Centric Wheel alignment vs a Europeans car, for example, Which uses a hub centric wheel alignment. The gap is there for any variation of the hub across the several manufacturing facilities. You are completely safe to travel on that wheel without risking any damage tot he vehicle. [/qoute]

I maybe wrong, but I don't buy it. There's a reason there's an entire industry putting out hub-centric rings, so the hub is what supports the weight of the car not the lugs. I told them I would like to continue with the return/refund.

solman

First Name
Sol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra ASPEC 6MT TECH, 2011 Ford F250
BKK JACK , Did Modern Spare honor your refund request?

I went to my Acura dealer yesterday. They told me the spare tire kit will ship in April. As they asked what trim level Integra I had, I guess that there is more than one size spare tire available.
At this point I think I would rather have the correct spare tire kit from Acura than a generic replacement from the aftermarket.