• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Review: 2024 Acura Integra Type S - In Defense of the Type S

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Good stuff, great pics. Still won't convince someone who's consumed by the Type R "aura".

There's an active thread going on civicxi right now, where some dude that clearly wants a Type R test drove a DE5, and it is kind of shocking to see the relentless trashing.

Whatever, if people who probably paid $10-20k over MSRP for their Type R is the only group who can't come to grips with this car, I can live with that.

Also, RS5 owners REALLY seem to hate this car.

onepointsix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 TW Civic Si
Good stuff, great pics. Still won't convince someone who's consumed by the Type R "aura".

There's an active thread going on civicxi right now, where some dude that clearly wants a Type R test drove a DE5, and it is kind of shocking to see the relentless trashing.

Whatever, if people who probably paid $10-20k over MSRP for their Type R is the only group who can't come to grips with this car, I can live with that.

Also, RS5 owners REALLY seem to hate this car.
I have deposit in for a Type S and a Type R currently. The "aura" for the Type R stems from history of the badge and while I would prefer the Type R, mostly because of always wanted one, it doesn't prevent me from appreciating what the Type S and the fact that it and the Type R share most of the components.

If those same "purist" are so hung up on the FL5, they should know that the FL5 Type R isn't a "real" Type R. To me, the last Type R was in 2007, the FD2 Type R. No turbo, no nannies, and no compromises. That's what the Red H badge is supposed to mean. Not complaining about how the ride is too rough so I need to run to Acura to get the Type S ADS module.

Both cars are expensive for what they are, but the reality is that these cars probably shouldn't even exist in the current market. Frankly, we should just be thankful that we have the option to choose between the 2 and be happy with with our choices.

... or go buy CRV hybrid because according to some posts on Civic XI, it's a better alternative to both!

EDIT: Here in Canada, the FD2 can now be imported so if neither car work for me, I'll import one instead.

OP
OP
Jonesigram

Jonesigram

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, NA Miata
Both cars are expensive for what they are, but the reality is that these cars probably shouldn't even exist in the current market. Frankly, we should just be thankful that we have the option to choose between the 2 and be happy with with our choices.
This is a huge point, and something I probably should have mentioned. We're likely seeing the last of this kind of vehicle before hybridization or electrification.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have deposit in for a Type S and a Type R currently. The "aura" for the Type R stems from history of the badge and while I would prefer the Type R, mostly because of always wanted one, it doesn't prevent me from appreciating what the Type S and the fact that it and the Type R share most of the components.

If those same "purist" are so hung up on the FL5, they should know that the FL5 Type R isn't a "real" Type R. To me, the last Type R was in 2007, the FD2 Type R. No turbo, no nannies, and no compromises. That's what the Red H badge is supposed to mean. Not complaining about how the ride is too rough so I need to run to Acura to get the Type S ADS module.

... or go buy CRV hybrid because according to some posts on Civic XI, it's a better alternative to both!

EDIT: Here in Canada, the FD2 can now be imported so if neither car work for me, I'll import one instead.
Man, that guy with the CR-V really kicked the hornet's nest, didn't he?

Totally agree on all points. I wanted an FL5 at first too, mainly for two reasons; one, it punches WAY above its class from a driving dynamics perspective, and two, it finally looks like something I could see myself driving. This was last winter, before the ITS was even formally announced. I would have taken either one, but now after having the ITS for a while, I'd get one again if I were to it over (FWIW my wife likes the Integra WAAAY more so there's that...). But it's not like I'm philosophically opposed to the FL5 like some of those folks are over there...

I grew up in the 90s and 00s too, I lusted after what I couldn't have as much as anyone and knew what that Type R badge meant- but that's not at all what the FL5 is. FL5 is more like a German car than a Japanese car at this stage in its life cycle. People get so wrapped up in what they think is "special"- especially if they spent god knows how many thousands of dollars just lining the dealers' pockets with ADMs. Because you KNOW the vast majority of FL5 owners paid a markup. VAST majority.

Thinking of it that way, you can understand why they're so triggered by the DE5. Doesn't make it right though.

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
@optronix i think the ADM’s paid has a lot to do with why the FL5 guys seem to have such a hard time with the DE5. I can appreciate them both and am happy there is a choice. But some of those guys just $hit all over the DE5 for whatever reason. It’s basically the same car, but the ITS looks way better, has HUD, real TPMS, and heated seats.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@optronix i think the ADM’s paid has a lot to do with why the FL5 guys seem to have such a hard time with the DE5. I can appreciate them both and am happy there is a choice. But some of those guys just $hit all over the DE5 for whatever reason. It’s basically the same car, but the ITS looks way better, has HUD, real TPMS, and heated seats.
Exactly. There's just no reason for people to pile on to threads like that, in essence TRASHING the mirror image of their own cars...

Some interesting psychology going on over there.

edit- there was one dude in the Facebook group, one of the reasons I left.. this guy was relentlessly trashing the DE5 before it was even available saying it was totally designed and engineered in the US and shared almost nothing outside of the powertrain with the FL5. It's just a fantasy these guys live in where their car is somehow worth more than Honda asked people to pay for it, and they have no choice but to defend its honor at every opportunity.

evident

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 TSX 6MT, 2017 MDX Hybrid, 2008 RX350
As an owner of neither of these cars i also don't understand the trashing as all reviews have pointed to the fact that they are 95% the same. It comes down to me which one I can get closest to msrp.

sgroll

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra A-Spec Tech 6spd, '18 GTI, 66 Mustang
I applaud your mention of the price comparison and ADM. Hardly any reviewers mention this other than in passing. ADM for the Honda makes the Acura the better buy...unless you like the looks of the Civic better.

I faced the same problem looking at the Civic Si...$10k markup made it more expensive than the Integra Aspec/Tech...guess which one I bought at $800 under MSRP???

Still waiting for a replacement liftback though... 😐 Been in the shop for a week so far.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Good article.

What irks me is the amount of complaints of missing features on the ITS that are available on the TSX Types S. Why would any car manufacturer make 2 basically identical cars, so IMHO Acura did the smart thing and made the Integra its own lane. I hope to make a video reply on this soon.

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
In total agreeance here totally fell in love with the FL5 at first sight, however my brain beat out my heart for the ITS. At their current respective prices Adm Included, the ITS just makes more sense, I couldnt bring myself to pay more (for the FL5) to receive functionally less (heated steering, seats, hud, better sorted drive mods/dampers). People rave about the FL5 seat, and handling and then turn around and install bride buckets and ITS ADS whats the point.

Also dispelling the numbered plaque mystique of the FL5 there are now over 20k globally, and likely significantly less ITS in NA alone, (also seemingly due to lack of interest lol) with about a half a year to a year production cycle behind the FL5.

PRDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
The FL5 was initially announced as a limited production car, and most of these owners paid 10k+ MSRP to get one. Fast forward to 2024 the FL5 is readily available, and some people getting them at MSRP. Then add the DE5 to the mix, mechanically the same car, and in some aspects better, than their halo car that they drastically overpaid for. I believe this is why some FL5 owners hate on the DE5. Personally I like that they are both available, for me I’m too big for the FL5 seats, making the DE5 the right choice for me. Besides I like the DE5 looks better than the FL5, the heated seats, the better stereo also.

Last edited:

scooter

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
As to the opinion of probably the oldest member of this forum, (don't ask), on shopping the Type R versus the Type S, I preferred the shorter body design of the Type R but the seating did not work for me. Now I drive a Type S the one hour in comfort to go see my grandkids. :)
PS: of course, while using the Comfort driving mode.

Last edited:

onepointsix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 TW Civic Si
I think most FL5 owners resent the fact that the DE5 Exists. They might see it somewhat as a FL5 clone. They want their FL5's to remain exclusive so they try to do what they can to separate the DE5.
I find the behaviour strange.... Honda had quite a few cars that overlapped each other back in the day. Civic and Integra for multiple generations, also the Accord Coupe and Prelude for multiple generations, each with the pros and cons.