• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pulled the trigger - Initial Review

haakebecks

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Accord Sport Manual, 96 Integra GS
IMG_6039.jpeg
Well, I took the plunge. I ended up with an ABP with black interior, which was one of my top 2 choices.

A few things stand out after driving it over the past couple of days, including logging nearly 300 miles on the interstate. So, consider this my first review.

Full disclosure, I’m a middle aged guy who grew up with these cars as a young man during the glory years of the 90/early 00s. That was back when the “hybrid” scene was a thing and the B and ZC series swaps were just becoming a thing. So, for me, this is me really enjoying a car that lets me harken back to my youth a bit, and I view it as probably one of the final swan songs from Honda/Acura for manual transmission/ICE enthusiasts. I didn’t want to miss out.

1. The comments around rattle and fit/finish are 100% spot on. Mine has a recent build date Mid October and these issues are present. That said, for the most part it was very well behaved, even on really bad roads. Not perfect, but not terrible either. As things loosen up, we’ll see how things shake out. It should be better though. Is this why Honda/Acura have continued to go down the JD power ratings on quality?

2. I wasn’t really prepared for the onslaught of power. Midrange torque feels available everywhere. I’ve owned a lot of cars through the years and A LOT of Honda/Acuras through the years - EF Civic Si, EG Civic Hatch, EG Del Sol VTEC, DC Integra GSR, S2K, 8th Gen Civic Si, and a 9th Gen Accord Sport family hauler. All have had manual transmissions. This car is nuttier than them all. None of the reviews online or videos quite prepared me for what I was in for. I had test driven a 2018 2.0T Accord Sport when they were new and came really close to buying one, but lost out on it. This was leagues above that experience. I’m really used to NA Hondas and this so far has been eye opening. Again, as a middle aged guy… it feels fast, especially compared to the Hondas of old and even the 2015 Sport Manual I also have in the garage with the NA 2.4.

3. It looks really good in person. I know the looks are a bit polarizing and it is a shame that Acura has a stick on wheel arch on the rear, even if the economics of it necessitated it. That said, it isn’t enough to detract from the car. If there is a future generation of these vehicles, I hope Acura can be more purposeful with the wide body treatment front and rear.

4. This car should not be 7K higher than the Type R. It feels like Honda America got a bit greedy here, especially in light of pricing in Canada. I know this has all been beat to death, but the lack of memory seating positions for the driver seat, etc. saved pennies in manufacturing costs and look what reputation harm it has caused. It shows that that they missed the forest for the trees on a basic level. We also have a 2023 Pilot Trailsport in the stable that was $48K OTD and it is loaded, has AWD, bigger chassis, pano roof, etc. The manufacturing costs have to be just as high or higher there, even though it has a V6 vs Turbo 4, and yet this vehicle is priced so much higher. The reputation damage to the brand caused by some silly oversights could have been easily avoided. Just seems odd. Queue discussions around the TLX too.

5. The gearbox really is heavenly. Like absolutely fantastic. Honda’s have always had great transmissions, but this is every bit as good as Porsche 992s I’ve driven. Frankly, it makes that manual Accord sitting in the driveway feel like an old beater in comparison and it too had a great transmission and shifter feel. I know it’s been compared to the S2K, but I feel it’s even better.

6. The steering is just awesome. Way better than I could have imagined from an electric rack. Reminds me of an older M3 hydraulic setup. Just great feel. Not quite manual rack good, but heads and tails above most of the stuff out there these days. Our Trailsport is absolutely terrible in comparison. I know I am comparing apples and oranges in many ways, but they are both new Honda products so figure I would throw it out there. Even compared to the Accord, it’s playing at a completely different tier.

7. The dealer situation has gotten out of hand and if Honda/Acura wants to maintain any brand loyalty at all, they need to do something about it. Many dealers are actively abusing customers and it going to completely erode any brand loyalty that may still exist.

8. I wouldn’t daily it unless you want or need to. Frankly, there are far better, more comfortable, cheaper DDs out there than this car. Can you daily it, of course, but there are far more practical choices, even performance oriented ones at less cost. I know it’s hated on here, and QC issues notwithstanding, but the Golf R certainly falls here if you need a manual, otherwise the world opens way up. Why slog through traffic in this beauty, get it all dented and dinged in parking garages, etc., unless you need to.

8. All in all, the car just feels really special. It is an absolute WEAPON of a car. I’m glad I purchased it!

That said, I would NOT pay above MSRP for one, unless you are absolutely desperate to have one.

I’ll close with this because it’s been pertinent to me.

In some ways the old adage holds true, it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast vs. a fast car slow and that’s my takeaway here. Maybe it’s because I still have an older 2.4 liter manual sedan in the driveway that I can ring out, but it feels like I can do so without getting into too much trouble or so rapidly crossing into illegal territory. In the ITS, you blink and you are rapidly pulling hard toward triple digits.

Just something to keep in mind if you are still on the fence and trying to gauge what your priorities are.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Can you elaborate on #1? What rattles and fit/finish problems have you encountered?

I'm also looking at an ABP with black interior soon so wondering what I should be looking for..

grahm

First Name
Grahm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 RS3, 2023 Type R
Great writeup — and balanced! Not always something you see on car forums, hah. I pretty much agree with you on everything here.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
I dont want a boring daily, so I daily ITS...Nice write up..WEAPON...ITS only has 320 crank HP..I guess its perspective.. MSRP spot on...just went over 900 miles and still waiting on the rattles hopefully I got a unicorn...Fit and finish spot on..most issues I believe should/could have been corrected prior to delivery...Welcome and drive the dam thing...ITS only a car...end of the day

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
4. This car should not be 7K higher than the Type R. It feels like Honda America got a bit greedy here, especially in light of pricing in Canada.

That said, I would NOT pay above MSRP for one, unless you are absolutely desperate to have one.
Great looking car! I agree with you on MSRP for this car--get it for MSRP, or don't bother getting it.

As for its pricing in comparison to the Type-R, keep in mind that you're comparing a '24 ITS to a '23 CTR. That $7k gap is going to get closed to some extent when the '24 CTR pricing is finally rolled out. People are still giddy at the thought of paying just $3k in ADM, and many are still willing to eat $5k in ADM for the right color/dealer--Honda knows this, and they'll take advantage of it for MY24.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
It's all about perspective. And part of me really gets a kick out of knowing how much most of what I'm about to write is going to piss some people off. Does that make me a troll? By definition, perhaps... but sometimes people really need context to see how ridiculous they're being. And know this isn't just directed at the OP, it's a culmination of a variety of sources... but since this is an open forum this just happens to be where my rant lands today. Apologies in advance.

For someone coming from a history of boring appliances, I can understand some of the points in this review.

Sure there are "better" cars to daily drive- if you're the type of person who can tolerate wasting your life away in virtually anything Honda makes OTHER than a CTR or ITS (or NSX). I've driven enough rental cars to learn that I just simply can't stand driving about 99% of the cars on the road today, so for me the ITS is fantastic because every time I need to get in a car and go somewhere, I'm enjoying the experience. Life's too short to drive boring cars.

For someone coming from a string of high-end to elite sports cars, the fact that the ITS legitimately has a place next to the Porsches and M cars of the world is enough to forgive almost any minor transgression. "Tacked on" fenders, no memory seats, no rear usb, no HomeLink- NO FUCKING PROBLEM. You're getting a car that will put the exact same smile on your face in almost any situation as a car that costs literally 2-3x. So all this "blah blah blah, it's too damn expensive" talk is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Stop fucking crying, we're lucky we have cars like this at all anymore! It's worth every penny, and while I'm happy I got my car at MSRP, I would have gladly paid more. Much more. Even with the annoying wastegate rattle issue that's cost me a small portion of my sanity.

And the comparisons to the Civic are just getting downright offensively stupid, and they just keep coming. Three this week on my count, from "respected journalist"-ish sources (Edmunds, EverydayDriver and R&T). I guess people keep clicking on them... but especially when it comes to pricing. This here is one of the best points I've seen made in a while, and I'm mad at myself for not thinking of it so much earlier-

RUNN1N said:
As for its pricing in comparison to the Type-R, keep in mind that you're comparing a '24 ITS to a '23 CTR. That $7k gap is going to get closed to some extent when the '24 CTR pricing is finally rolled out.
It's going to be a sea of lower middle class tears when Honda unveils the inevitable $5k price bump on the CTR. Actually if we're playing The Price is Right, my guess is $4250. That's how much I think the price of the 2024 Civic Type R will go up... and if it doesn't Honda is run by idiots, because people will CLEARLY pay that, and more.

Also another thing most people tend to overlook is the extra year of warranty. You could argue the dealer experience but YMMV- for me it's a very clear distinction between my local Honda and Acura dealers but I admittedly have a small sample size. Throw in the heated seats, stereo and average markups and that $7k becomes an afterthought very quickly. So I'll say it for the 1000th time- between the ITS and CTR, it comes down literally to which car you personally like looking at and sitting in more. That's it.

The fact remains that between the CTR and the ITS, there's nothing else on the market like them. Ever. The mix of do-it-all practicality, value, reliability, and not just "fun to drive" but true track-readiness is unparalleled in the history of carmaking. It actually is starting to piss me off when people knowingly buy these cars and then proceed to say it's "a shame" about piddly-shit details- it's like you've completely forgotten the plot. There will be no next evolution; we've reached the pinnacle. Enjoy it while it lasts... and for god's sake don't let a few rattles, or a few grand, let you forget that when you're picking whatever EV "driving utensil" in a few years to replace it.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
It's all about perspective. And part of me really gets a kick out of knowing how much most of what I'm about to write is going to piss some people off. Does that make me a troll? By definition, perhaps... but sometimes people really need context to see how ridiculous they're being. And know this isn't just directed at the OP, it's a culmination of a variety of sources... but since this is an open forum this just happens to be where my rant lands today. Apologies in advance.

For someone coming from a history of boring appliances, I can understand some of the points in this review.

Sure there are "better" cars to daily drive- if you're the type of person who can tolerate wasting your life away in virtually anything Honda makes OTHER than a CTR or ITS (or NSX). I've driven enough rental cars to learn that I just simply can't stand driving about 99% of the cars on the road today, so for me the ITS is fantastic because every time I need to get in a car and go somewhere, I'm enjoying the experience. Life's too short to drive boring cars.

For someone coming from a string of high-end to elite sports cars, the fact that the ITS legitimately has a place next to the Porsches and M cars of the world is enough to forgive almost any minor transgression. "Tacked on" fenders, no memory seats, no rear usb, no HomeLink- NO FUCKING PROBLEM. You're getting a car that will put the exact same smile on your face in almost any situation as a car that costs literally 2-3x. So all this "blah blah blah, it's too damn expensive" talk is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Stop fucking crying, we're lucky we have cars like this at all anymore! It's worth every penny, and while I'm happy I got my car at MSRP, I would have gladly paid more. Much more. Even with the annoying wastegate rattle issue that's cost me a small portion of my sanity.

And the comparisons to the Civic are just getting downright offensively stupid, and they just keep coming. Three this week on my count, from "respected journalist"-ish sources (Edmunds, EverydayDriver and R&T). I guess people keep clicking on them... but especially when it comes to pricing. This here is one of the best points I've seen made in a while, and I'm mad at myself for not thinking of it so much earlier-

It's going to be a sea of lower middle class tears when Honda unveils the inevitable $5k price bump on the CTR. Actually if we're playing The Price is Right, my guess is $4250. That's how much I think the price of the 2024 Civic Type R will go up... and if it doesn't Honda is run by idiots, because people will CLEARLY pay that, and more.

Also another thing most people tend to overlook is the extra year of warranty. You could argue the dealer experience but YMMV- for me it's a very clear distinction between my local Honda and Acura dealers but I admittedly have a small sample size. Throw in the heated seats, stereo and average markups and that $7k becomes an afterthought very quickly. So I'll say it for the 1000th time- between the ITS and CTR, it comes down literally to which car you personally like looking at and sitting in more. That's it.

The fact remains that between the CTR and the ITS, there's nothing else on the market like them. Ever. The mix of do-it-all practicality, value, reliability, and not just "fun to drive" but true track-readiness is unparalleled in the history of carmaking. It actually is starting to piss me off when people knowingly buy these cars and then proceed to say it's "a shame" about piddly-shit details- it's like you've completely forgotten the plot. There will be no next evolution; we've reached the pinnacle. Enjoy it while it lasts... and for god's sake don't let a few rattles, or a few grand, let you forget that when you're picking whatever EV "driving utensil" in a few years to replace it.
Mic dropped by Optronix right here. I wholeheartedly agree to the original poster's point though about overall speed performance in stock form. This car is so fast that avoiding speeding tickets is already a real problem, and for that reason I do not understand why people consider tuning this car if they're never going to a track. Aftermarket parts that are truly of a higher quality then Acura spent on this car such as strut bars, motor mount inserts, etc., that make the handling that much better could interest me though.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
I see you have seemingly hit your upper limit too.

On my side, I want to start seeing cool content with the cars. Zy and AHC are delivering but it needs to expand.

garyna

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S, '22 MDX Type S, '93 Porsche RS
Great write up. In a perfect world my ITS would have the Type R seats.

OP
OP

haakebecks

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Accord Sport Manual, 96 Integra GS

In many ways I agree with you, but on the other hand, you come off sounding like a brand zealot and apologist, defending the brand like they can do no wrong, which is asinine. You also sound like the value of a dollar doesn’t mean as much to you as perhaps it does to some others. Especially with comments about lower-middle class, etc. Those kinds of comments just make you seem spoiled and petty on one end of the spectrum and foolish on the other end. Whether you are a person of means or not, has nothing to do with trying to be objective about the car.

To your point though… it’s all about perspective.

Just so we’re on the same page, I didn’t post to stir the pot or to complain about the detriments to the car. It was simply me sharing my thoughts having owned A LOT of vehicles including a number of high performance ones.

I’ve also spent quite a bit of time on track at SIR and PIR, and years of dodging comes in numerous Autocross events. When I say it is a weapon, it really does feel that way on the street, tearing up back roads. I stand by that assessment. On the track, I’m sure it feels substantially more docile and underpowered, as many vehicles do.

I’ll close with this… I agree with you. I think these vehicles are special and I said as much in my post. I think they truly are a final swap song by Honda/Acura for the manual transmission/ICE enthusiasts. It’s why I bought one.

That said, I stand by my comments… Acura cut some really stupid corners on the car and for what… pennies per unit? And look at how much grief they have sustained. That’s just stupid. Coupled with the dealer situation, and it materially harms the business. Apologize for it, get upset at people talking about it in the forums, whatever floats your boat… but it’s reality and no matter how defensive you may get about it, it doesn’t change the facts.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I see you have seemingly hit your upper limit too.

On my side, I want to start seeing cool content with the cars. Zy and AHC are delivering but it needs to expand.
giphy.gif

In many ways I agree with you, but on the other hand, you come off sounding like a brand zealot and apologist, defending the brand like they can do no wrong, which is asinine. You also sound like the value of a dollar doesn’t mean as much to you as perhaps it does to some others. Especially with comments about lower-middle class, etc. Those kinds of comments just make you seem spoiled and petty on one end of the spectrum and foolish on the other end. Whether you are a person of means or not, has nothing to do with trying to be objective about the car.

To your point though… it’s all about perspective.

Just so we’re on the same page, I didn’t post to stir the pot or to complain about the detriments to the car. It was simply me sharing my thoughts having owned A LOT of vehicles including a number of high performance ones.

I’ve also spent quite a bit of time on track at SIR and PIR, and years of dodging comes in numerous Autocross events. When I say it is a weapon, it really does feel that way on the street, tearing up back roads. I stand by that assessment. On the track, I’m sure it feels substantially more docile and underpowered, as many vehicles do.

I’ll close with this… I agree with you. I think these vehicles are special and I said as much in my post. I think they truly are a final swap song by Honda/Acura for the manual transmission/ICE enthusiasts. It’s why I bought one.

That said, I stand by my comments… Acura cut some really stupid corners on the car and for what… pennies per unit? And look at how much grief they have sustained. That’s just stupid. Coupled with the dealer situation, and it materially harms the business. Apologize for it, get upset at people talking about it in the forums, whatever floats your boat… but it’s reality and no matter how defensive you may get about it, it doesn’t change the facts.
You're giving yourself far too much credit.

First of all, I gave my disclaimer. It's not your review that set me off, that's all that needs said about that because I already said it.

Second, you're right I never got to your "brand loyalty" nonsense, so thanks for the reminder! Honda doesn't need your brand loyalty... and the fact you seem to believe they suffered some sort of "reputation hit" or however you articulated it was actually so far off the radar I ended up completely ignoring it in my first post, which I didn't actually intend to. Because you do indeed deserve to be ridiculed for that take, especially since you came in hot in your response.

all-due.gif

Seriously, you really believe Acura is "materially harming its business" with this car? Please provide said "facts". Be sure to cite your sources for this apparent "reputation damage" that Acura seems to have inflicted on their brand. I'll cite a few of my own that seem to contradict your point of view.

https://jalopnik.com/2024-acura-integra-type-s-greater-than-the-sum-of-its-1850547652

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2024-acura-integra-type-s-first-drive-review/

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/672672/2024-acura-integra-type-s-review/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a45781326/2024-acura-integra-type-s-vs-2023-honda-civic-type-r/

Last edited:

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
The ITS is simply amazing, as is the CTR. I can definitely overlook the rear seat acommodations considering everything else we get with this car.

Sadly, anything cool these days is expensive. I think most on here would agree, you can't put a price on the "feeling" you get when driving this thing.

Yato

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Soon
The entire pricing situation has never made any sense to me. It is competitively priced in today’s market. People were expecting this car to come in around 48K - 50K. If a couple grand makes or breaks your views on purchasing the car because it’s “too expensive”, then quite frankly I strongly doubt you were going to purchase the car anyway.

Then on top of that they completely underestimate the cost/wait times/markups of other vehicles they compare it to (Supra, blackwing, etc) to fit their narrative

It really makes no sense to me.

*sorry for hijacking your thread OP. I appreciate your views on the ITS*

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
First, I'm honored to have made "one of the best points (@optronix) has seen made in a while", and I too would be mad if I was you and didn't think of it a long time ago. I'll just pin this right here where everyone can see it. 🎖

I don't think Honda/Acura has done anything with either of these cars that would compromise their reputation. The consensus among journalists has been that both cars are fantastic, and they're generally split on which one is "better". It's very subjective, but that's what they wanted. When priced at MSRP, neither car is sitting on the lot, and many are selling to happy customers at markup. If you're Honda/Acura, you're happy with sales and consumer sentiment, and probably looking at if/how you can produce more CTR's and ITS'... or how to eat into the dealership's markup profits.

Yes, there are gripes about the price of both (but the price of just about everything sucks right now), dealership sales tactics (but this is a byproduct of supply/demand that most brands have experienced, especially for highly desired models, and is further fueled by consumers accepting the practices), and features (we should have X, we don't need Y, where is Z?).

Acura took a winning recipe (the FL5) and tweaked a handful of things (very few, not many!) to make the ITS just a little bit nicer/softer/cushier (you pick which it is) than the CTR so it could stand out against the sea of AWD "luxury" competitors with a great manual transmission. Sure, you don't get AWD, but you get FWD at a level of enjoyability that's going to be hard to beat and at a competitive price compared to European competitors.

It's a balancing act. They want to soften enough edges to fit the ITS with its "luxury" Acura badge and make it more livable on the street over the CTR (softer seating and suspension), and upgrade a handful of things to justify a higher price tag (stereo and HUD), while doing a few things to make it stand out from the CTR (like the exhaust, it's good). The more they add on, the higher the price goes, the slimmer their margin becomes, and/or the heavier the car gets. Beyond balance, you can't please everyone, and it's hard to take a winning recipe and change much without things getting overly polarizing.

Comparison is the thief of joy. Spend too much time wishing for a Frankenstein of the ITS' softer suspension and manual transmission, with the CTR's (glorious) bucket seats, and the TLX-S' power + memory + ventilated seat functions and rear vents, but with roomy back seats and the functionality of a hatchback (since the TLX doesn't have much of a back seat), and maybe a pano roof + SH-AWD but at the entry-level price of a Si, you'll just have a heavy mishmash of a dream car that cannot/will not be made.