• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Off Throttle Rattle

CK716

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S LSM
Anyone have a heavy metallic rattle sound that seems to come from behind the dash when in gear and coming off throttle at ~2000rpms? It doesn’t sound like the wastegate videos I’ve seen others reference in different threads. Will try to get video of it to include, but figured I’d get the thread started. Admittedly mildly annoyed by all the creaks and rattles in this car after 1800 miles.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Lots of these threads popping up lately. Possibly because windows are coming down with the warmer weather.

Here's one of several threads on this topic, there are others on the Civic boards. It's an issue that's largely attributed to the electronic wastegate, and applies to all K20C1/8 variants, including the FL5 and FK8. It's supposedly "normal", but I agree I wish it would go away.

OP
OP
CK716

CK716

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S LSM
Lots of these threads popping up lately. Possibly because windows are coming down with the warmer weather.

Here's one of several threads on this topic, there are others on the Civic boards. It's an issue that's largely attributed to the electronic wastegate, and applies to all K20C1/8 variants, including the FL5 and FK8. It's supposedly "normal", but I agree I wish it would go away.
Strangely enough I can barely hear it with windows down. It’s basically if I leave it in 2nd/3rd and just let the rpms sink to 2k it immediately starts. Doesn’t sound like any of the other videos I’ve seen of the wastegate sound from the threads on here or the CTR forums.

CatBus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
I have this sound on my DE5. I am sorry to say that I do not know what it is, but will definitely be following this thread.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Strangely enough I can barely hear it with windows down. It’s basically if I leave it in 2nd/3rd and just let the rpms sink to 2k it immediately starts. Doesn’t sound like any of the other videos I’ve seen of the wastegate sound from the threads on here or the CTR forums.
Yeah, same here- I can hear it better with the windows up. I don't know if what you're experiencing is the same issue, just looking for some sort of causality because this topic does get brought up a lot.

Hell I don't know if my noise is the wastegate either, I've always been skeptical of it because some people were so dismissive of it and I was just thinking "no way is this normal!"... I think the sound manifests differently for different cars.

In any case I wasn't trying to be dismissive if that's your thought, just trying to offer some peace of mind that it could be normal. Best bet is to have the dealer check it out. I have yet to actually do that myself, I think I'll just add it as a line item next time it's in for service.

Also I just realized I never did provide the link to the thread, but you seem to have a handle on it. Here it is just in case others are interested: https://www.integraforums.com/forum/threads/drivetrain-vibration-metal-rattle-sound.51266/

And here's the thread with what I think is the most accurate reproduction of the sound:

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/waste-gate-rattle-noise.52416/

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
I can confirm that the clip that holds the wastegate arm does make a lot of noise. And yes it is a metal rattle sound. It one of my Dyno recordings has it pretty clearly. I try to find the untrimmed Dyno video and post the prt of the gear changes before the pull when the metal sound is very audible

OP
OP
CK716

CK716

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S LSM
I can confirm that the clip that holds the wastegate arm does make a lot of noise. And yes it is a metal rattle sound. It one of my Dyno recordings has it pretty clearly.
Do you only hear it when you’re on throttle? Cause only hear the noise when I’m not on the gas

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
@CK716 mine does the same thing, especially before it’s warmed up. It seems like once the engine is warm I barely notice it.

Also - are you doing the cars and coffee this May? My son and I will be heading up for it.

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
attached is the sound clip, You can hear the metal wastegate arm retainer clip clearly rattle between shifts on the dyno with hood open. Had to zip the wav file as sound files are not unloadable to this platform..
this is way more pronouced and easier to hear than when I was trying to record it in the cabin.
obviously on the dyno it only happens between shifts but driving normal conditions it can happen almost constantly at right RPM.

View attachment 0503.zip