• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How do I get RH side of dash to display info when VSA is off?

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
It should be possible to make a device that emulates the pedal dance, similar to the way the Acura IDS Controller activates Individual mode on start up. It would only need to connect to the parking brake switch, the brake pedal (brake light) switch and the TCS/VSA button. It could be activated (in theory) with a single push of a button, but the VSA warning would still be displayed. I don't have the skills to make such a device, but I'll bet someone does. How would I find that person or company?
Why not contact the company that made the device that activate individual mode on start up?

OP
OP
kjechel

kjechel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
03 S2000 original owner, 24 ITS ABP/Ebony
Why not contact the company that made the device that activate individual mode on start up?
I did that. Sorry for the long post that follows
I asked: I and many others are interested in a device that could emulate the "pedal dance" required to shut off VSA (completely, not just reduced). In theory, this device would connect into the parking brake switch, the brake pedal (brake light) switch and the TCS/VSA button. When activated, it would send out a series of pulses to the ECU telling it to put VSA into "Service Mode", in much the same manner that your IDS Controller tells the ECU to set the Drive Mode to "Individual" (I hope my request makes sense). There is also a market for such a device among Civic Type R owners, to shut off VSA when in any non +R drive mode (they have to use the same pedal dance). Is this something you would consider developing and making available for sale? If not, could you point me to someone who might? Thanks very much!

Matt (of Idlestopper) replied:
I am familiar with the pedal dance process and why it’s necessary to fully disable the traction control system. It’s crazy that the interior button to turn the system off doesn’t actually do that completely. Why Honda decided that is beyond comprehension for me. Much like the idle stop it should be a choice by the driver of what to have on and off when driving and it stay that way if you want.

It’s a good idea you have and would definitely be theoretically possible but not without some huge issues. The main issue would be having a test vehicle (Type R or ITS) for electrical measurements, development and testing. This process isn’t simple and takes quite a bit of time and trial and error processes. To have a test vehicle for an extended period may be extremely difficult to accomplish. If I had to guess I’d say logistically about 6 months to a year of development and testing time would be needed. The install process for such a module/harness may be a bit involved also due to having a wire harness that would need to reach the parking brake, vsa switch and brake pedal switch.

I’m just throwing out some major hurdles I immediately can see with the idea. It’s definitely a good idea though.

The vehicle electronics are sensitive and picky and any manipulation comes with the potential risks of damage and that’s certainly not what we would want which is why we are so thorough when creating a product.

Just a thought, what if you were to unplug your wheel speed sensor?
Would this deactivate the vsa system completely due to lack of data input?

I would think without the proper data input, the vsa system would not be able to properly account for the wheel speed therefore causing it to not make any decisions or adjustments at all.

It may be easier to make an on/off switch on one of the wheel speed sensors before developing a more complex module to mimic the pedal dance.

OP
OP
kjechel

kjechel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
03 S2000 original owner, 24 ITS ABP/Ebony
Juice not worth the squeeze.
Yes, after further investigation I agree. More details for those interested:

I asked @jayy_swish if it might be possible to disable VSA by powering off the Yaw Sensor (as is commonly done on 350/370Z's) with a simple on/off switch.

His reply:
So I was doing research on where the yaw rate sensors are, how it’s interpreted, and how it communicates. The yaw rate sensors are located in the SRS control module and it is not something that is modified without interfering with the SRS system as it’s built into the control module. Next is communication: There is no specific wire that goes from yaw rate sensor to X modules as it all communicates with the F-Can network as well as every other sensor in the SRS unit. So cutting the fcan network will result in your cluster to light up like a Christmas light mostly due to down communication between SRS unit and the other modules on the network (aka you brick the network until it is reconnected). Even once reconnected it will be able to work again in the sense that it is communicating but your Christmas lights cluster will not be resolved without a good code reader that is able to read all computer modules and erase all the DTC’s in the SRS, TCS, VSA, ABS as all that pulls info from the sensors in the SRS module to be able to react accordingly. Only “easy” way to disable is going into maintenance mode, which is the pedal dance unfortunately.

SRS SYSTEM DESCRIPTION - SYSTEM DIAGRAM