• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Track Prep

evanescent03

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Z06; '24 PWP ITS
Anyone come across a "track prep" guide? i've had cars that have an owner's manual supplement describing track prep details (e.g. changing diff fluid at a certain mileage, using different oil weight, removing brake duct blockers, etc). my buddy just got an FL5 and states there is nothing like this that he can find.

I'm sure i'll get the car out on the track and want to follow the recs from Honda/Acura if they have some.

In the absence of a supplement i'll probably do the basics: pads, fluid, +/- tires (i might just use the stock tires and burn through those first before putting on some R comps, perhaps). i'll probably look into a second set of wheels for the track tires.

Thanks!
Matt

ender_ong

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 Ridgeline RTLE white/black, 24 DE5 white/black
Anyone come across a "track prep" guide? i've had cars that have an owner's manual supplement describing track prep details (e.g. changing diff fluid at a certain mileage, using different oil weight, removing brake duct blockers, etc). my buddy just got an FL5 and states there is nothing like this that he can find.

I'm sure i'll get the car out on the track and want to follow the recs from Honda/Acura if they have some.

In the absence of a supplement i'll probably do the basics: pads, fluid, +/- tires (i might just use the stock tires and burn through those first before putting on some R comps, perhaps). i'll probably look into a second set of wheels for the track tires.

Thanks!
Matt
for the fl5, I remember seeing a video that mentions that the protective piece under the hood vent can be removed for additional heat extraction (it's put in place for protection from inclement weather [i.e. rain]). I would imagine the same could be done for the its

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I haven't seen anything yet - but definitely keeping an eye out & watching this thread. I've really just done street & drag racing, so I'm jumping into maybe a little autocross but really want to get heavier into hot/open lapping. Anything as close to circuit as possible without other cars to bump into. 😆 I do have a local track & coach who is a good friend/old coworker of my father in laws. I picked up an SCCA membership a few months ago if I can get into any time trials or anything of the like.

Ministry

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S (DE5), FL5(sold)
I ran my 1st track day (FL5) 100% bone stock. I did nothing other than tape on numbers and install the tow hook that comes stock. I've heard one is not included with the DE5 so that maybe you're first order of business, especially if your promoter requires it.

GridZilla has some decent FL5 track content.

https://www.youtube.com/@GridZilla/videos

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bmw x3m, m2, MB c63s coupe, soon integra type s
FB_IMG_1691618045893.jpg

I ran a track day full stock to have a baseline. No issues whatsoever, no temps issue and no brake fade. My track runs 15 mins session.
I will run dedicated wheels (titan7 ts5) and tires (nankang crs) and will most likely run hawk dtc70/60 with rbf660 once i finish the stock pads

Gregg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP Teg Type S '87 & '88 CRX Si, '96 Civic EX
I ran a track day full stock to have a baseline. No issues whatsoever, no temps issue and no brake fade. My track runs 15 mins session.
I will run dedicated wheels (titan7 ts5) and tires (nankang crs) and will most likely run hawk dtc70/60 with rbf660 once i finish the stock pads
I'll be running the Nankangs tomorrow @ Charlotte. What cold pressures were you starting with? It sounds like they like a target of 34-37lbs hot.

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bmw x3m, m2, MB c63s coupe, soon integra type s
I'll be running the Nankangs tomorrow @ Charlotte. What cold pressures were you starting with? It sounds like they like a target of 34-37lbs hot.
Yep 34 hot is the target, i started 31 cold and monitored the pressures after each session

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
anybody know if there's a spot to put a tow hook on the its? Like something built in?

ender_ong

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 Ridgeline RTLE white/black, 24 DE5 white/black
anybody know if there's a spot to put a tow hook on the its? Like something built in?
FL5 gets a detachable portion of their diffuser to attach rear tow hook (attached pic). That hole might be there for DE5 but no removable part. I know there’s a beefy attachment point under the front of DE5 closer toward driver side that I use for front security chain when flat bed towing with uhaul but don’t think it would be good for tow hook/track day emergency tow pull

IMG_5100.jpeg

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
FL5 gets a detachable portion of their diffuser to attach rear tow hook (attached pic). That hole might be there for DE5 but no removable part. I know there’s a beefy attachment point under the front of DE5 closer toward driver side that I use for front security chain when flat bed towing with uhaul but don’t think it would be good for tow hook/track day emergency tow pull

IMG_5100.jpeg
Yet another point for the CTR if tracking is a consistent thing you want to do in your car, and your track/event requires a tow hook. I'm sure someone at some point will fabricate tow hooks on their ITS, but that kind of jumps the shark a bit on what this car is about.

Just my personal opinion, but if your goal on a race track is to maximize your timed runs, you should probably pick a different car. The car is great on track, but it's pretty clear that there were design/engineering decisions made that reduced tracking as a priority use case, and you'd end up just working backwards if you have visions of going much farther than a typical HPDE.

It is unfortunate if your local track just has a hard requirement for a tow hook even for non-timed events. You'd just be shit out of luck if that's the case.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I always go with Track Daze and they do not have a hard requirement for a tow hook. just suggest you install it if you have one. I'm all HPDE, nothing more. Just about fun with the car.

JesseP

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S/2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I'm thinking about joining a track day at my local Atlanta Motorsports Park. Being my first track day ever, what do I need to know and prepare for? They require a helmet, but nothing else. No mention of a tow hook.

Another thread mentioned the psi should be 41 front and 33 rear cold according to the manual. I'll be using the stock tires.

Also, what helmet should I be looking at if I don't want to spend over $400?

Do I set everything to sport +?

Any info is appreciated.

OP
OP
evanescent03

evanescent03

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Z06; '24 PWP ITS
I'm thinking about joining a track day at my local Atlanta Motorsports Park. Being my first track day ever, what do I need to know and prepare for? They require a helmet, but nothing else. No mention of a tow hook.

Another thread mentioned the psi should be 41 front and 33 rear cold according to the manual. I'll be using the stock tires.

Also, what helmet should I be looking at if I don't want to spend over $400?

Do I set everything to sport +?

Any info is appreciated.
Can you rent a helmet? If you decide the hobby isn’t for you, you can save some money. Otherwise, I would just you to a site like saferacer and pick the helmet you like. if you have a local shop where you can try them on that’s even better. safety standards are the same from $300-6000 helmets
 you pay a lot more for weight savings (expensive materials and R&D) and fancy attachments (headsets, hans attachments, cooling vents etc etc etc).

41/33 seems high for psi. your driving instructor will help you with those. HOT psi is usually mid 30s but setting cold psi will change a lot based on the track, ambient/track temp, tires, your driving style, car setup, goals for car feel etc 

things to prep:

Empty out the car: check under seats to make sure a tennis ball or water bottle doesn’t roll out under hard braking 
 it could wedge under your brake pedal and kill you. Loose stuff will fly out the open windows when you’re at high speeds.

fresh brake fluid: dot 4 is best but fresh dot 3 for a first day is probably ok. when in doubt, get it flushed or at least bled. should be like 6-12mo old or newer but a lot of slight variations on this recommendation. If you’re hard on the the brakes and find them getting soft that can mean you’ve boiled the fluid and some air is introduced. Air compresses unlike liquid so it’s less effective at braking . At least that’s my understanding. Consider a bleed at that point. Unlikely first event but can be done at the track as you advance in your HPDE “career”.

Oil: a million opinions here. I wouldn’t want the car anywhere near the scheduled oil change just prior to a track day 
 but you probably don’t need to change it if it’s still “pretty fresh”. No perfect answer and do what you’re comfortable with. If your oil is iffy, you’re probably fine for your first event but plan on changing it after the event. Too many variables for black and white recommendation, kinda like brake fluid.

make sure your tires and brake pads are in good shape. lots of tread and pad left. no nails in the tires.

things to take:
- Tire gauge (check tires before and after ever session
 it’ll teach you a lot and doesn’t take long at all.. plus forces you to eyeball your tires to see how they’re holding up)
- torque wrench 
 keep those lugs evenly torqued to spec (no idea what it is for this car, check it and do the star pattern to make sure it’s good.. do this before the first session and check after the first session then periodically
 some guys probably check every session)
- lots of water and snacks.. you’ll get dehydrated and exhausted
- a chair to chill in

That’s really it for day 1. Usually there is a shop to buy other random stuff at if you need it. Event organizers can help you locate little items if needed. Just focus on listening in class and to your instructor and have a good time. Keep the car and yourself fueled up and have fun. Don’t get bogged down by having a portable race shop set up for yourself. This car doesn’t need it and you don’t need the distraction!

let us know how it goes !

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
^good info, but for a very first outing I don't think it's necessary to flush the brake fluid or worry too much about oil. Check the levels of each, and assuming it's not right up against the service interval you should be good to go.

The cars are stout. Mine survived its first track day completely 100% as it was when it left the factory. And the thing to consider about your very first track day, you're not going to be pushing the car nearly as hard as I was last fall, having done several track events in past cars, and on a course I had a fair amount of existing experience on. I'm by no means an expert but do at least have some experience under my belt- your first day should just be about familiarizing yourself with track driving; you're not out there to set lap records on your first event.

As such, feel free to experiment. I think it's perfectly fine to leave the car in Sport+, but maybe for your first couple laps leave it in Sport to get a feel for the differences. Same with tire pressure. A good starting point IMO would be ~32 psi all around and expect to see it climb to mid-upper 30s. That worked for me but it was a 74 degree day in October. Maybe a little higher if it's in the low 60s wouldn't hurt.

Also definitely worth mentioning- you're going to want to at least attempt a session with the traction control completely disabled. This means the "pedal dance". I'll allow Thomas from Throttle House to explain in more detail.

Trust me, after doing this for 7 runs at an autocross event, it will be like riding a bike (sort of).