• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FL5 ADS Module Swap

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Well looks like Que threw in a FL5 ADS module and had instant regrets. Anyone else thinking about taking this on?

Last edited:

VtecBuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
I wonder if anyone will make an aftermarket version that keeps the Integra's comfort and sport modes with +R for the track.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Well looks like Que threw in a FL5 ADS module and had instant regrets. Anyone else thinking about taking this on?

I wonder if anyone will make an aftermarket version that keeps the Integra's comfort and sport modes with +R for the track.
just watching his video at the 15 minute mark is more than enough to convince me I don’t ever want the CTR adaptive damper module. Way too stiff and bouncy for children, wifey and myself on daily driving. The ITS experience has been incredible with tight steering while not being obnoxious like a roller coaster.

that said if you really wanted the CTR stiffest settings for track days while retaining ITS settings there’s a couple of solutions:

1. Open the ADS module and manipulate the processor on its circuit board. Then you can change the CANBus signal messages to the ECU. No simple task unless you know both parameter sets for the CTR and ITS as well as some knowledge in software interface.

2. Run both the CTR and ITS modules, you’ll just have to find a place to physically install the CTR box, maybe in the trunk? Then get a second wire hardness to parallel the control signal wires; after that rewire The power wires with a NPN relay switching circuit or physical switch on the dashboard. This would allow you to select between CTR-ITS ADS modules with a 3-position switch (while car is powered off).

The simplest analogy I can think of is in the old days say you had a set of monitors But also a desktop computer and a laptop. There are display switches to toggle between the two without unplugging and connecting every time.

this will take some work but you’ll be able to use the ITS damper settings for your daily driving and cycle to CTR damper settings on your track days or spirited driving.

I’m not interested in this but it’s possible if you so desire

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Fuck all of this, everyone who owns an FL5 or DE5 needs to call or email DSC Sport and ask them to make one for this platform.

https://www.dscsport.com/

For those who don't know what a DSC controller does, it basically takes continuous readings from all available metrics and algorithmically decides what damper settings are best for any given dynamic driving situation in real time. In practice, it is a night and day difference even over Porsche OEM software tuning. It's absolutely tragic that OEMs don't utilize this technology, but at least it exists for some platforms (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Porsche/Audi/Lambo, etc.).

I've emailed them several times asking if they're considering FL5/DE5 offerings and got no response. They're local I may just pop on over there one of these days and ask in person... but conceptually any adaptive damper tech should be applicable, perhaps just not enough groundswell for them to put in the R&E for Honda/Acura (yet).

...yet as I type all of this, I'll probably end up going with Ohlins anyway. But it will be a great option for those who truly want an "OEM+" solution. Should also work well paired with aftermarket springs, but I'd have to verify that with the folks at DSC...

Last edited:

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Like some said above, fast lap times with the CTR are usually set with suspension in comfort mode. Our Sport+ setting is plenty stiff for track driving. Why mess with that?

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
Que the C does this whilst the Topher puts the DE5 ITS module in his CTR. The Topher loves his switch, so enough said. Que is finding creative ways for viewership I think.

OP
OP
Integra23

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Que the C does this whilst the Topher puts the DE5 ITS module in his CTR. The Topher loves his switch, so enough said. Que is finding creative ways for viewership I think.
Aren't they all. Though in his defense I have heard others say the FL5 is flatter in the curves. So this is one way of matching that feel. I would be down to swapping in an FL5 module. I'm only in comfort mode when passengers the rest of the time I'm in Sport+

VtecBuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
I've emailed them several times asking if they're considering FL5/DE5 offerings and got no response. They're local I may just pop on over there one of these days and ask in person... but conceptually any adaptive damper tech should be applicable, perhaps just not enough groundswell for them to put in the R&E for Honda/Acura (yet).
It's possible that continuously changing the damper settings on adjustable dampers that are designed to have discrete settings could cause the components to wear prematurely. The FL5/DE5 setup also might not respond quickly enough to benefit from continuous adjustments.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
Aren't they all. Though in his defense I have heard others say the FL5 is flatter in the curves. So this is one way of matching that feel. I would be down to swapping in an FL5 module. I'm only in comfort mode when passengers the rest of the time I'm in Sport+
Interesting, I enjoy Comfort or Sport as my damper setting in my individual mode.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
It's possible that continuously changing the damper settings on adjustable dampers that are designed to have discrete settings could cause the components to wear prematurely. The FL5/DE5 setup also might not respond quickly enough to benefit from continuous adjustments.
The Sachs CDC dampers which are what Honda's using do adjust in real time according to an algorithm:

https://aftermarket.zf.com/en/after...-and-support/expert-blog/inbrief-cdc-dampers/
How does CDC work?
In the SACHS CDC damping system, a proportional valve continuously regulates the damping rate. The valve functions like a bypass in the damping hydraulics – depending on the valve setting, the damper can be adjusted between hard and soft.

Via sensors, the electronic control unit can detect speed, lateral acceleration, and road conditions. The system then uses software to calculate the optimum damping force for each wheel – a "cognitive feature" that is put into practice within milliseconds.

CDC technology uses the proportional valve to continuously and precisely adapt the chassis damping to the respective driving situation, making driving easier to manage.
So it's really the tuning that people disagree with.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Driving on a race track will cause everything to wear prematurely. While your hypothesis may be true, I don't think the premature wear angle presents a significant impact to people who would choose to go this route. Some people (like myself) are considering replacing the factory dampers altogether so I really don't think wear and tear on them is a huge consideration.

Ultimately though I don't know the true science behind whether or not the DSC controller would be a fit for a Honda/Acura application, I just think if you can get one for a Focus or a Golf let's hope eventually you can get one for your Civic/Integra. Especially considering people are already dropping however much it costs to swap these modules around.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
There are many CTR folks looking for someone willing to swap. I go Sport+ without wife/kids and it's solid. However, if it's as bouncy and loud as the guy had it in the video, I don't think I could handle it. If I had a CTR i'd most certainly go for DE5 dampers.

One other thing you mentioned is your cabin vibration/noise goes wild with your RMM while A/C is on. Not sure how that will play with the FL5 ads module; just don't get stuck daily driving feeling like you're in an earthquake.

BigBird

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5
the entire suspension hardware is EXACTLY the same between the FL5 and DE5 except the rear springs.