• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Exhaust tips scraping?

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS LCM/Red; '16 BMW M235-xdrive
I don't have a steep driveway, but I find that many/most driveways in this area (Bay Area, CA) have rolled curbs and many cars scrape. And this car is especially low! As careful as I try to take an angled approach, the plastic air dam/skirt underneath the front of my car has been scraping and whittling away. But I've noticed a few times that something in the rear catches and scrapes too. I took a look and finally figured out what was scraping -- the exhaust tips!

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem too? I wonder if there are replacement or aftermarket tips available. A bit annoying how gingerly I have to drive this car pulling into and out of driveways (and I have stalled a few times in the process too while trying to modulate the throttle and clutch especially in reverse gear as I back into my driveway, again due to the angle).

Also, as I took this picture quickly this morning, and only the center tip is mostly visible, but all three tips have been scraped/scratched to some degree.
PXL_20240315_152513265.jpg

OP
OP

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dreamshop only seems to list the whole exhaust and not just tips...

And a sleeved option that goes over existing tips would only make the problem worse...

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Ouch. Knock on wood but haven't scraped the exhaust but I've certainly scraped that 90 degree panel underneath.

You are still scraping the exhaust even taking it at an angle?

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Whoa. I haven’t had that issue in just over 10k miles over train tracks in town and stuff. Even the add on rear diffuser doesn’t scrape. Are you backing up or just going straight in? I’m assuming straight in & your driveway is angled upwards?

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
i made a post a few weeks ago about that feature under the front lip catching in driveways, but i've never had the exhaust tips catch thankfully. i don't have a rolled curb, but the angle of my driveway entrance with the steep banking of the road crown form a pretty sharp 'V' which was a problem for me

if you've got a rolled curb, you might want to look at getting a bridjit. they're kinda expensive but obviously worth the money if you want to avoid this type of damage to your car. even though i don't have a rolled curb, i actually bought one of these a few years ago when i had my Si coupe and it was JUST enough to keep from scraping, but with the Type S being so much longer it didn't help no matter what and i eventually just paid an asphalt company to come dig up the end of my driveway to re-grade and re-pave it, which isn't cheap- but neither is replacing your exhaust system since you can't replace just those tips lol

OP
OP

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ouch. Knock on wood but haven't scraped the exhaust but I've certainly scraped that 90 degree panel underneath.

You are still scraping the exhaust even taking it at an angle?
I usually pull out at in an angle (almost 45 deg) and take a wide turn. I'm on the left side of the driveway and usually make a right when I pull out, but today due to some road construction nearby I decided to make a left turn instead. However, I couldn't really angle and make a wide left due to already being at the leftmost edge of the driveway. So I went more centered than I would usually approach it. (Likewise when I reverse into my driveway, I have to back in at an angle due to the driveway pitch and our other car parked on the right hand side). I guess in the future I should just go right and make a u-turn or 3 point turn. My BMW M235 coupe, I can't pull head in due to similar air dams underneath the front, but I have no issues backing in straight to the driveway. So these days i literally alter my route so that I approach my driveway for the best angle to pull back.

Our Kia has a hitch and I installed the Weather tech bumpstep. The bottom of the receiver does scrape if pulling straight out. But the hitch is low and sticks out.

Maybe just my driveway, although the ones in the area are pretty similar. I did try one of those rubber pads (similar to Bridjit) to help with the rise/dip, but it didn't really stay in place and was annoying for bikes to ride over. Still, there are plenty of other driveways of all sizes or huge speed bumps or roads with dips.

i wonder if the exhaust could have been mounted higher up/closer? I'll have to measure and take a photo later on for comparison.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
We can thank the SUVification of the auto market for this shit. The higher trend in ride heights means cities can build giant speed bumps and steep curbs to their heart's content.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
i made a post a few weeks ago about that feature under the front lip catching in driveways, but i've never had the exhaust tips catch thankfully. i don't have a rolled curb, but the angle of my driveway entrance with the steep banking of the road crown form a pretty sharp 'V' which was a problem for me

if you've got a rolled curb, you might want to look at getting a bridjit. they're kinda expensive but obviously worth the money if you want to avoid this type of damage to your car. even though i don't have a rolled curb, i actually bought one of these a few years ago when i had my Si coupe and it was JUST enough to keep from scraping, but with the Type S being so much longer it didn't help no matter what and i eventually just paid an asphalt company to come dig up the end of my driveway to re-grade and re-pave it, which isn't cheap- but neither is replacing your exhaust system since you can't replace just those tips lol
I've owned a bridjit at a previous home. The owner John Curry was super helpful answering all of my questions pre-purchase. The product did its job. It prevented the car from scraping on a rolled curb but it constantly needed to be adjusted. It certainly wasn't a set it and forget it type of thing.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I've owned a bridjit at a previous home. The owner John Curry was super helpful answering all of my questions pre-purchase. The product did its job. It prevented the car from scraping on a rolled curb but it constantly needed to be adjusted. It certainly wasn't a set it and forget it type of thing.
To Clark’s point you might consider using a commercial construction grade foam adhesive or bust out a hammer drill & concrete fasteners to keep in place. Might be a little too permanent tho.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Contact your local county and see if they offer a free service that places extra asphalt infront driveways with steep curbs. I know several who have done this , it doesn't look the best but man does it make a difference.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I usually pull out at in an angle (almost 45 deg) and take a wide turn. I'm on the left side of the driveway and usually make a right when I pull out, but today due to some road construction nearby I decided to make a left turn instead. However, I couldn't really angle and make a wide left due to already being at the leftmost edge of the driveway. So I went more centered than I would usually approach it. (Likewise when I reverse into my driveway, I have to back in at an angle due to the driveway pitch and our other car parked on the right hand side). I guess in the future I should just go right and make a u-turn or 3 point turn. My BMW M235 coupe, I can't pull head in due to similar air dams underneath the front, but I have no issues backing in straight to the driveway. So these days i literally alter my route so that I approach my driveway for the best angle to pull back.

Our Kia has a hitch and I installed the Weather tech bumpstep. The bottom of the receiver does scrape if pulling straight out. But the hitch is low and sticks out.

Maybe just my driveway, although the ones in the area are pretty similar. I did try one of those rubber pads (similar to Bridjit) to help with the rise/dip, but it didn't really stay in place and was annoying for bikes to ride over. Still, there are plenty of other driveways of all sizes or huge speed bumps or roads with dips.

i wonder if the exhaust could have been mounted higher up/closer? I'll have to measure and take a photo later on for comparison.
The neighborhood one over from us have rolled curbs. A lot of them have a 2 ft steel plate to span it.

I'm debating doing that as well since I just barely clear my driveway approach. I don't have a very long driveway so changing the pitch isn't an option and I'm pretty sure the city won't let me mess with the curb anyway.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
I don't have a steep driveway, but I find that many/most driveways in this area (Bay Area, CA) have rolled curbs and many cars scrape. And this car is especially low! As careful as I try to take an angled approach, the plastic air dam/skirt underneath the front of my car has been scraping and whittling away. But I've noticed a few times that something in the rear catches and scrapes too. I took a look and finally figured out what was scraping -- the exhaust tips!

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem too? I wonder if there are replacement or aftermarket tips available. A bit annoying how gingerly I have to drive this car pulling into and out of driveways (and I have stalled a few times in the process too while trying to modulate the throttle and clutch especially in reverse gear as I back into my driveway, again due to the angle).

Also, as I took this picture quickly this morning, and only the center tip is mostly visible, but all three tips have been scraped/scratched to some degree.
PXL_20240315_152513265.jpg
Did you lower the car at all or is it stock still?

OP
OP

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here is a picture of the driveway/curb
PXL_20240316_165232321.jpg

Actually, now that I remember, for our old Mini Countryman (R60 generation that was sold after we got the KIA), after installing a hitch , the hitch receiver underside would be very close to scraping too especially when loaded with our bike. So I added a small M7 lift kit to raise the suspension a bit

Last edited:

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Here is a picture of the driveway/curb
PXL_20240316_165232321.jpg

Actually, now that I remember, for our old Mini Countryman (R60 generation that was sold after we got the KIA), after installing a hitch , the hitch receiver underside would be very close to scraping too especially when loaded with our bike. So I added a small M7 lift kit to raise the suspension a bit
This looks a lot like mine except the street level has a slight worse incline. I definitely think a 2' wide steel plate bridging that part where it connects at the drainage should get you free and clear but so far I'm able to manage without scraping that bottom 90 degree underpanel. I have to get it at a pretty big angle though and back in slowly so the suspension doesn't rebound.