• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DAE get little rocks stuck between rotor and brake shield?

MidwestDE5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra type s, 21 Audi A5, 15 GMC Sierra
Just bought mine yesterday. Went on the test drive with no issues. After finishing paperwork at the dealer and taking delivery it started about a half mile down the road. Lasted for about 5 miles.

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
Just bought mine yesterday. Went on the test drive with no issues. After finishing paperwork at the dealer and taking delivery it started about a half mile down the road. Lasted for about 5 miles.
That's just bad luck that it happened so quickly. It has happened to me once in about 2500 miles.

OP
OP
Scrodee

Scrodee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS in LCM
Was watching AHC’s latest video (thanks to those guys for getting into these cars so early, btw) and saw where a bunch of rocks fell out of the splashguard when they removed it. Wondering if this is some of the noise I’ve been hearing. Maybe not the squeals and screeches but the twangs and bangs and pops. 🤔

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Those rocks probably came in through the lower grill opening don't you think? Unless our tires are throwing them in there underneath somehow. I hear some weird little tings and pings occasionally. I think it's rocks hitting the heat shields behind the brakes.

new2teg

First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I have less than 200 miles on my ITS and has happened to me 3 times already. Granted, the roads suck during winter and rocks are all over the place in my neighborhood, but still annoying. Never had this happen with any other Honda/Acura vehicles I've owned.

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6M
It's happened to me once already in 1,000 miles and generally good roads around DFW where I live. Crazy loud, thought the van in front of me was blowing up. :D :D

After jerking the wheel back and forth several times, I pulled into a neighborhood and into a driveway and immediately backed out. The rock dislodged and I was good.

So, in my experience, backing up seemed to help dislodging it.

Anyway, can we remove these shields without negative consequences for around town driving?

jpooah1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S Apex Blue
You could remove the brake shields.

I drove many years an Accord with missing front brake shields due to rust. I was waiting to replace a bearing to also do the brake shields at the same time, but never had to replace one...
I also drive a 2015 subaru wrx with no brake shields because I run an ap racing bbk with larger rotors and the shield has to be removed to fit. In 5 years time I haven’t had any issue with rotors or pads or brakes as a result. Probably more dust and rust though. But everything functions fine. You do not need to replace rotors if doing pads they are separate wear items to be replaced when they are worn. Agree that we shouldn’t have to remove the shields on a factory made part it should function but as people have pointed out it could be one solution.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
I'm at almost 8k km on the ITS and never happened to me once...

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
So, in my experience, backing up seemed to help dislodging it.
50% of the time it works 100% of the time.

Lol, jokes aside it's happened here and there over the years with another Honda product and short of having a thin wire brush to really fish it out guaranteed, the backup method is definitely above average at clearing the rock, especially if you have a parking lot where you can go back and forth about 20 feet.

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
Had this happen to me the other day , very annoying and embarrassing . What a horrible noise. I wonder if the rock guards may help a bit but most likely not. Does this happening actually scratch or mess the brakes up in any way ?

Last edited:

quickel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cruze
I want to thank people for contributing to these threads. Just hit 500 miles, had this exact issue happen to me this morning and I was stressed out about having to take my brand new car to a dealership. A quick search and you all made me feel at least a little better that it's nothing toooooo serious.

Wilber158

First Name
Wilber
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
For documentation purposes, it happened to me as well for the first time three days ago. I am currently on 6.9k miles. Lucky for me, I had read this thread before and knew exactly what it was.

preston23

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
Happened to me three times so far. Sounds like a train is stopping lol. Scared the fuck out of me.

JusticeFace

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra Type S
Got a big one that was really stuck in there the other day. The usual reverse and wobbling didn’t do the trick to get it out. Screeched for a good 20 miles before it finally worked its way out.

Has anyone found an easy/quick way to pull that shield back to let the rocks fall out? I haven’t tried getting under the car to see how it’s attached yet but considering keeping a long screwdriver in the trunk for when this happens.