• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DAE get little rocks stuck between rotor and brake shield?

OP
OP
Scrodee

Scrodee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS in LCM
Glad to know I'm not the only one. Also sad to know it's such a problem for so many others. I figure maybe 10-20% of ITS owners are actually active on this forum? Wonder how many others are experiencing this?

I genuinely think this is a problem with the brake shield design. I've owned quite a few performance cars of various makes, all with sticky tires, and never had this issue. I'm used to the trash peppering the wheel well, but not this.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
We have a secondary gravel driveway that I usually park on or drive down to park inside the shop. It happens occasionally & they always falls out. I’ve read where a couple have used a screwdriver or something to poke them out.

OP
OP
Scrodee

Scrodee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS in LCM
I guess you could just push on the shield to make the gap between the rotor and the shield bigger and drop the rock out but if it's on the top it just risks getting stuck worse.

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 TEP ITS
Happened with my FK8 literally once a month, I've had it happen 3x already with the Type S, it's a stupid fucking brake shield design and I'd wish they fix it, it's embarrassing as all hell to have this happen and be driving near other people.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
It really is a design issue, and probably company wide if it's also happening to my wife's Pilot on the reg. Flipping weird!

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
You could remove the brake shields.

I drove many years an Accord with missing front brake shields due to rust. I was waiting to replace a bearing to also do the brake shields at the same time, but never had to replace one...

winemaker

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mazda CX5 (kids' beater car), 1955 T-bird
This happened to me yesterday when I went to pick up my son from school. At first I had no idea what that god-awful screeching metallic noise was. I thought a wheel was about to come off. I got out and did a quick undercar visual and didn't see anything wrong. Embarrassing as hell being at school with everyone else picking up their kids. Then I remembered reading about the problem on this forum and hoped that's what it was. Sure enough on the way home the rock must have fallen out and suddenly everything was good again. It was a horrendous noise though.

renegar

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
same thing happened twice, will watch this one to see if there is a solution in the future.

Blek le Roc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'73 Alfa GTV, '24 ITS
I guess I've been lucky - I have a somewhat long driveway and get small rocks stuck in the tires quite often, but so far no horrible screeching.

b0nb0n

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 1999 Civic, 1997 Celsior
I've had it happen to me 3 times the last month. Knew exactly what the sound was so didn't worry. Each popped out after a few miles of cranking the wheel left to right while driving. Super annoying and very loud. On all seasons right now so it's not due to sticky tires. They've been using a lot more sand/gravel this year for winter road treatment in my area.

JusticeFace

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra Type S
I've had it happen to me 3 times the last month. Knew exactly what the sound was so didn't worry. Each popped out after a few miles of cranking the wheel left to right while driving. Super annoying and very loud. On all seasons right now so it's not due to sticky tires. They've been using a lot more sand/gravel this year for winter road treatment in my area.
Damn, I was really hoping switching to all seasons would help.

I wonder if there's any way to manipulate the brake shield or if Acura will come up with a new design for future models that we could swap out. Or even an aftermarket solution. This is gonna drive me crazy if it keeps happening so frequently.

b0nb0n

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 1999 Civic, 1997 Celsior
Damn, I was really hoping switching to all seasons would help.

I wonder if there's any way to manipulate the brake shield or if Acura will come up with a new design for future models that we could swap out. Or even an aftermarket solution. This is gonna drive me crazy if it keeps happening so frequently.
Possibly just remove them during the winter months? I believe they're only held in with 2 screws. I might go this route if it continues to happen. It's SO loud that I've had cars in front of me braking because they think it's their car making the noise :lol:

JusticeFace

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra Type S
Possibly just remove them during the winter months? I believe they're only held in with 2 screws. I might go this route if it continues to happen. It's SO loud that I've had cars in front of me braking because they think it's their car making the noise :lol:
Yeah I'm wondering how much of a problem it would be if you completely removed them or even just added a spacer to give rocks a bit more room to fall out instead of getting stuck. I assume removing them completely, you would just end up with brake dust all over the place :/

Incognito_ABP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
Just did a search for “brake noise” on the forum trying to figure out WTF happened to my drivers side front brake today and found this thread. Thank you guys all for documenting this. I think this is exactly what happened to me today. Crazy loud metallic sound on the freeway drive home today. Got off at an exit to inspect the wheel and brake and couldn’t find anything amiss. Kept making the noise so I started steering aggressively left and right at about 30 mph on surface streets and eventually it stopped. So it must have been a rock that was dislodged with my maniacal left/right steering. Here’s a video I got from inside the car with all windows up. Crazy loud.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Yep, that's the one. Slowing, then going in reverse, then forward, then reverse, etc. may help dislodge it quicker.