• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DAE get little rocks stuck between rotor and brake shield?

norsairius

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
Was watching AHC’s latest video (thanks to those guys for getting into these cars so early, btw) and saw where a bunch of rocks fell out of the splashguard when they removed it. Wondering if this is some of the noise I’ve been hearing. Maybe not the squeals and screeches but the twangs and bangs and pops. 🤔
Those rocks probably came in through the lower grill opening don't you think? Unless our tires are throwing them in there underneath somehow. I hear some weird little tings and pings occasionally. I think it's rocks hitting the heat shields behind the brakes.
My car has made two loud pings from the front end as I've slowed to a stop since I got it. I was worried that maybe there's wrong with the suspension or something, but now that you two mention it, I wonder if somehow a stuck pebble or rock just shot out from the brake shield or otherwise got "aggressively unstuck" and made that noise or something.

I've asked the dealer to look at the hardware up front just in case, but hopefully it isn't anything of concern.

Incognito_ABP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My car has made two loud pings from the front end as I've slowed to a stop since I got it. I was worried that maybe there's wrong with the suspension or something, but now that you two mention it, I wonder if somehow a stuck pebble or rock just shot out from the brake shield or otherwise got "aggressively unstuck" and made that noise or something.

I've asked the dealer to look at the hardware up front just in case, but hopefully it isn't anything of concern.
Yes, in addition to the loud and extended squealing that everyone has documented when a rock is stuck, I’ve also heard the occasional “ping” when I come to a stop. Often times it’s when slowing and turning into a driveway. The first few times I heard it, I thought there was a problem with a spring. It had that mechanical ping sound that a stuck spring would make. But I’m now convinced this is likely a rock dislodging as the wheel is turned and the shield is what’s pinging.

norsairius

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, in addition to the loud and extended squealing that everyone has documented when a rock is stuck, I’ve also heard the occasional “ping” when I come to a stop. Often times it’s when slowing and turning into a driveway. The first few times I heard it, I thought there was a problem with a spring. It had that mechanical ping sound that a stuck spring would make. But I’m now convinced this is likely a rock dislodging as the wheel is turned and the shield is what’s pinging.
Dealer looked at everything, nothing of concern found. Seems our cars just like to throw rocks? 😅

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
yep, there are always rocks flying around in there making all sorts of noises. That, and the wind noise around the sideview mirrors, are the only annoying things about this car IMO.

KindaACarGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S (ABP/Black) ; Tacoma TRD
Happened to me for the first time today with a little over 300 miles. My ITS was hibernating for weeks at a time during the last couple of month, but now it’s getting out to play as temps are warming up. I am more thrilled about this car every day, but that screeching sound makes me cringe and is embarrassing!

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
i haven't had this happen with my ITS yet but i got it quite a few times while i had my Si (which was coincidentally running the same tires)

Kalidas

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S 2024
This happned on Type S when it had been with me for just five days with 120 miles on it. The screeching was continuous and SO BAD that I had to call roadside assistance just to spare others the agony of the metal-on-metal sound. This hasn't happened to any of the cars that I have owned before, including the S2000.
Dealer said it was a stone in the rotors, and said they adjusted the rotors to avoid that in future - but looking at number of people who have faced this very-low-probability issue, I suspect this to be an engineering or design flaw.

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner

I've asked the dealer to look at the hardware up front just in case, but hopefully it isn't anything of concern. It kind of freaked me out a bit . Also once I heard a loud bang from the back , couldn’t figure out what it was when I looked over the entire car . Finally I open the trunk and the plastic trunk handle was the culprit . It popped out when I came to stop . I snapped it back in lol
I have had that ping happen 3x so far . Wondering what the heck it may be and the car has under 600 miles .

Kalidas

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S 2024
I have had that ping happen 3x so far . Wondering what the heck it may be and the car has under 600 miles .
The forum should keep a track of this as it is beginning to look like a recall-type issue. My other cars, whatever their brake caliper size, never had this problem. It's happening for too often for a "freak incident"

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
The forum should keep a track of this as it is beginning to look like a recall-type issue. My other cars, whatever their brake caliper size, never had this problem. It's happening for too often for a "freak incident"
saying this is a "recall-type" issue is a pretty huge stretch. i would say its a sloppy design issue, but this isn't even unique to our cars, and the idea that honda of america is going to redesign the rotor/shield and replace the countless thousands/millions of them out on the roads is less than a pipe dream

Kalidas

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S 2024
saying this is a "recall-type" issue is a pretty huge stretch. i would say its a sloppy design issue, but this isn't even unique to our cars, and the idea that honda of america is going to redesign the rotor/shield and replace the countless thousands/millions of them out on the roads is less than a pipe dream
I hope it isn’t but this doesn’t happen that frequently and the dealership was honest in telling me that they’ve been fixing type s’s that have been coming with this issue. Looks like a recall case to me. Rotors aren’t that expensive to replace as compared to some other recalls in the past, besides they’ve not even sold 3000 Type S by now.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
I hope it isn’t but this doesn’t happen that frequently and the dealership was honest in telling me that they’ve been fixing type s’s that have been coming with this issue. Looks like a recall case to me. Rotors aren’t that expensive to replace as compared to some other recalls in the past, besides they’ve not even sold 3000 Type S by now.
what exactly are they "fixing" and are they doing so under warranty, or are they charging the customer?

again, this "problem" with the rotor shield gap isn't unique to our cars. i don't know if they're the same parts or not, but my 9th gen Si got this too. a rotor itself isn't very expensive, but when you consider that every car has 4 of them, and multiply it by all of the civics (and accords too, etc?) that have been sold since at least 2012, there's no way on earth honda would even entertain such a recall. also consider honda can barely be bothered to acknowledge and fix the 'emissions CEL' problem that all our cars have gotten lol

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
So, last time this happened, I just reached my hand through the spokes of my Apex rims, and gave the heat shield a little push (it's flexible) and the rock fell right out. I've had this three times in 2600 miles. My wife's 2023 honda pilot has had this issue once (had to jack it up and take the wheel off) but super easy to fix yourself. I've also had success just stopping the car, putting it in reverse for a second, then going forward again and that dislodged it.

FWIW, this happened to my Kia Stinger, My VW GTI, My Infiniti G37, etc, etc. Two main components are how sticky your tires are and where you drive the car, i.e. are there places you go with little piles of stones here and there. It always happens to me at lower speeds only, like under 15 mph, not when I'm out driving at speed. Always parking lots, etc. where rocks get piled up more often.

Summer tires are the main issue here IMO.

Kalidas

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S 2024
what exactly are they "fixing" and are they doing so under warranty, or are they charging the customer?

again, this "problem" with the rotor shield gap isn't unique to our cars. i don't know if they're the same parts or not, but my 9th gen Si got this too. a rotor itself isn't very expensive, but when you consider that every car has 4 of them, and multiply it by all of the civics (and accords too, etc?) that have been sold since at least 2012, there's no way on earth honda would even entertain such a recall. also consider honda can barely be bothered to acknowledge and fix the 'emissions CEL' problem that all our cars have gotten lol
Yes fixed under warranty.
very few Hondas have brembo brakes, and always only in the front - so we are talking replacement in thousands.
In my lifetime of driving low cars with large rotors and big calipers, I have never encountered this problem once, even in my 20s when I drove much wilder than I do now. And here’s the ITS with standard stone in the brakes problem. Sounds very weird to me.

Last edited:

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
Yes fixed under warranty.
very few Hondas have brembo rotors.
this has nothing to do with brembo rotors; as has been mentioned countless times now, lots of cars get this. i'm not a brake engineer but there's almost certainly a deliberate design reason for this gap, and small rocks getting lodged in there from sticky summer tires is unfortunate collateral.

and what is being fixed under warranty? is the dealership just removing the rocks for them? are they fixing damage done to the face of the rotor from the rock scraping it? are they messing with the shield to make the gap smaller? i can tell you from dealing with my own local dealership if i took my ITS to them because of a rock in the rotor shield, they would 100% charge for me it

Last edited: