• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Auto Rev Match Interfering with Upshifts

Mattyboo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 6MT Integra
Is anyone else having issues with auto rev match interfering with upshifts? For some reason, with Rev matching on, I cannot get smooth upshifts from 1 -> 2. It only seems to shift smoothly if you rev up to 5k+ RPM.

With Rev matching off, I can pull the revs down and get a very smooth and elastic shift from 1 -> 2. But with rev matching on, the ECU seems to intervene when you pull the revs down with the clutch, and the result is a bump and super anemic feeling shift.

Even if you wait the literal 3-4 seconds for revs to drop and settle from 1 -> 2, the revs are not exactly matched, and I get the same bump. Itā€™s really starting to kill the vibe.

Matching upshifts is not a novel technology. My Fiesta ST did it very effectively. If you waited for the revs to drop and settle in that $14,000 used economy car, the upshift was completely imperceptible.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Could I be doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with my cars factory tune? Iā€™m having serious buyerā€™s remorse.

ckone2030

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2024 BMW M3 Competition
I feel like the auto rev shift is a disservice to manual driving. One of the most enjoyable things to do in manual driving is the feel of down shifting the car. I only experienced it during the test drive of the demo car. That is why I turned it off the minute I bought the car.

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
when I heard it had auto rev match I literally frowned. I am just glad there is option to turn it off.
IMO that's like buying a Harley Davidson with training wheels??

OP
OP

Mattyboo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 6MT Integra
when I heard it had auto rev match I literally frowned. I am just glad there is option to turn it off.
IMO that's like buying a Harley Davidson with training wheels??
Itā€™s really not on a modern car. The rev hang is so irritating and so erratic that there is no steady rhythm for up shifting without it.

also, a lot of manual cars, which do not have ā€œauto rev matchā€ - hold the revs for upshifts.

OP
OP

Mattyboo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 6MT Integra
I feel like the auto rev shift is a disservice to manual driving. One of the most enjoyable things to do in manual driving is the feel of down shifting the car. I only experienced it during the test drive of the demo car. That is why I turned it off the minute I bought the car.
I needed to turn it off when I test drove. Itā€™s more exciting to match downshifts manually.

Guess Iā€™m curious if anyone wants to answer my question about the computer interfering with and/or not even matching upshifts ā€” or are we all just virtue signaling old school manual drivers here? Iā€™ve driven a manual my whole life and donā€™t rly need to hear it.

OP
OP

Mattyboo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 6MT Integra
1 to 2 is never smooth in any manual unless you take your time. The car only auto rev matches on downshifts.
Auto rev match also toggles whether or not the computer holds the revs for the next gear when upshifting.

wagood

First Name
Aidan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Integra 6MT
I have managed to get the occasional really smooth 1 -> 2 shifts, but it is very hard. Usually Iā€™ll end up with a little bump shifting around 2.5 - 3k.

This is with auto rev match on, but next time I drive Iā€™ll turn it off and see if I find it any easier.

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
this will be interesting to drive after driving my 93 EG with 97 JDM ITR swap and stage 3 racing clutch for literally decades. the engagement point is only about 1/2 inch on my clutchmasters (which admittedly is a pain in rush hour stop n go). I have a chipped ECU without ANY rev limiter so I am used how fast my engine revs without load during 8K shifting but I also use the clutch just as much to control slowing down hard in corners in tandem with brake to reduce understeer because electronic stability control didnt exist on these cars..

OP
OP

Mattyboo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 6MT Integra
this will be interesting to drive after driving my 93 EG with 97 JDM ITR swap and stage 3 racing clutch for literally decades. the engagement point is only about 1/2 inch on my clutchmasters (which admittedly is a pain in rush hour stop n go). I have a chipped ECU without ANY rev limiter so I am used how fast my engine revs without load during 8K shifting but I also use the clutch just as much to control slowing down hard in corners in tandem with brake to reduce understeer because electronic stability control didnt exist on these cars..
I donā€™t even know where the engagement point is on this car, tbh. It is the lightest and most numb feeling clutch Iā€™ve ever experienced. It feels like a Logitech sim racing clutch, but 10x longer. Maybe if you replace everything with aftermarket parts, you could get a somewhat engaging driving experience.

wagood

First Name
Aidan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Integra 6MT
I think you are onto something here @Mattyboo.

I turned off the ā€œRev Match Systemā€ setting, which if anyone is confused both rev-matches downshift (very well imo) as well as hold the revs a bit for upshifts. With it disabled, any time you disengage the clutch revs will drop faster than if you have rev match enabled.

While my shifting leaves much to be desired, I could easily see how it being disabled would allow for smoother 1 -> 2 shifts in more capable hands. With it disengaged I wasnā€™t the smoothest, but pretty close and could probably do it with more practice.

But I love my downshifts being rev matched as sacrilegious as that is to some people, so Iā€™ll probably be leaving it enabled.

OP
OP

Mattyboo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 6MT Integra
I think you are onto something here @Mattyboo.

I turned off the ā€œRev Match Systemā€ setting, which if anyone is confused both rev-matches downshift (very well imo) as well as hold the revs a bit for upshifts. With it disabled, any time you disengage the clutch revs will drop faster than if you have rev match enabled.

While my shifting leaves much to be desired, I could easily see how it being disabled would allow for smoother 1 -> 2 shifts in more capable hands. With it disengaged I wasnā€™t the smoothest, but pretty close and could probably do it with more practice.

But I love my downshifts being rev matched as sacrilegious as that is to some people, so Iā€™ll probably be leaving it enabled.
Thanks for taking a look at this! Youā€™re right, the revs do drop faster without the auto match on. Iā€™ve also found that the revs drop faster with the a/c on full blast.

I played with it this afternoon, and the car feels genuinely amazing when auto rev match is off and the a/c is on full blast. Iā€™m just so baffled why the rev hang is so erratic. Is this a an industry-wide problem? Has anyone experienced this with other cars?

Iā€™ve only owned manual cars. I actually donā€™t know how to drive an automatic transmission šŸ˜›. But when the computer is interfering with my shifts, it makes me feel violated. To shift the integra smoothly, you actually need to look at the tachometer and gauge how fast the revs are dropping in this current moment, and adjust the clutch travel accordingly. I donā€™t feel connected to this carā€¦. I feel like Iā€™m babysitting an unpredictable machine.

I want to love this car so bad, but 95% of the time, I canā€™t stand driving it.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Thanks for taking a look at this! Youā€™re right, the revs do drop faster without the auto match on. Iā€™ve also found that the revs drop faster with the a/c on full blast.

I played with it this afternoon, and the car feels genuinely amazing when auto rev match is off and the a/c is on full blast. Iā€™m just so baffled why the rev hang is so erratic. Is this a an industry-wide problem? Has anyone experienced this with other cars?

Iā€™ve only owned manual cars. I actually donā€™t know how to drive an automatic transmission šŸ˜›. But when the computer is interfering with my shifts, it makes me feel violated. To shift the integra smoothly, you actually need to look at the tachometer and gauge how fast the revs are dropping in this current moment, and adjust the clutch travel accordingly. I donā€™t feel connected to this carā€¦. I feel like Iā€™m babysitting an unpredictable machine.

I want to love this car so bad, but 95% of the time, I canā€™t stand driving it.
It seems to be an emissions issue. A tune offers rev-hang disable feature which helps quite a bit.

Baozzer

First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech 6MT
Build Thread
Link
I was also under the impression that rev Match only worked on downshifts. Maybe I just that bad lol