• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2nd gear grind

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
Anyone else experience a frequent grind from 1st to 2nd gear? In everyday driving I have to be very deliberate with the clutch 1st to 2nd. I've driven manual transmissions for almost 40yrs (cars, motorcycles, tractors) and never had this problem on a regular basis ...well, except for the early 70's International tractor.

There are threads in Type R forums and videos. I found this video (skip to about 28 min) and supposedly it can be fixed with an easy change to the pedal play adjuster and CMC plunger. Anyone else have this problem?

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
No, I actually know how to drive manual... KIDDING! :D

I haven't pushed the car hard yet so my driving (and shifting) has been pretty benign thus far.

Not sure how much it matters but daily driving around town, it hasn't been an issue.

Grelco

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
I've never had a grind but 1-2 is definitely the worst shift by far in terms of smoothness. If there's a way to adjust that I'd be interested as well. To me it feels like it might almost grind, but doesn't quite (5k miles)

OP
OP
ST675R

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
No, I actually know how to drive manual... KIDDING! :D
I deserve that! There's definitely a bit of sloppiness in the shifts that grind. It can be avoided with a more deliberate clutch push and millisecond delay in the shift. But this car is more sensitive than any other manual I've driven. It has gotten a little worse after 5k miles.

I may play with the adjustment to see if it helps.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
No grinds here. I always take 1-2 a little slow, though. Honestly, I personally don't see the point in rushing it in this car; you're not going anywhere fast in first anyway. Time lost taking a deliberate 1-2 isn't anything compared to time lost d/t FF.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I deserve that! There's definitely a bit of sloppiness in the shifts that grind. It can be avoided with a more deliberate clutch push and millisecond delay in the shift. But this car is more sensitive than any other manual I've driven. It has gotten a little worse after 5k miles.

I may play with the adjustment to see if it helps.
Like I mentioned though, I've been driving somewhat gingerly since I was still breaking my car in.

I did accidentally redline the car the other day beating this car at a merge though (backroads in a rural area where the intersection breaks up into two lanes). First time I'd pushed it and I straight up boogered my 1-2 shift haha. Didn't experience grinding though.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Had 4 very hard grinds so far. Quick shifts at high rpms seem to do it going into 2nd. I need to try different fluid asap

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
How are you guys even getting up to high rpms in first? I usually start to spin around 6K which is probably why I haven't had any grinds :)

I think the reason the 1-2 shift is difficult for so many is the change in gear ratios, 3.625 to 2.115. For comparison 2nd to 3rd is 2.115 to 1.529. It makes having a smooth transition very difficult, which is different than grinding.

Reactions: rui

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
so i have not gotten this at all with my ITS, but my 9th gen Si used to get this real bad especially when shifting real hard/fast at redline; there was a big debate about it when that generation was new, and the identified culprit was the clutch delay valve in the clutch line, so CDV deletes became a popular topic

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
I haven't had any grinds, however I need to disclose that I have over 15 years of daily driving xperience with Honda manual transmissions. My initial experience with Honda 2nd gear grind has taught [read "scarred"] me early on that they do NOT like aggressive 1->2 shifts. You can be quick but you cannot be aggressive. There's a bit of finessing required to make it smooth. It's hard to describe but if you're looking for speed, you need a light but deliberate motion. And then you say a quiet prayer.

These transmissions do not like force but stiffer mounts and better fluid may help to recover some confidence in the shift. Unfortunately I can't offer any further recommendations on either. Slow and steady is best for these transmissions.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I had a pretty good grind going into second once, but I was really early getting off the clutch, just kind of being lazy and not paying attention. After that, I try to be more careful. I also short shift into second because of wheel spin at the top of first. It's just kind of manic when you redline in first. winds up real quick. I pretty much only hit the car hard in 2nd, third. Anything past that and you're way past legal speeds on the road.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I can shift smoothly 1st to 2nd. The Aspec was a lot more difficult since it didn't have any clutch take-up feel. My second though isn't smooth it takes a bit of effort to get it into gear. Also noticed the rev-matching changes as I finally get it to seat in second like it dips or something, going 1st to 2nd. All the other gears up and everything going down is fine.

Midnight_VTEC

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
I had the 2nd gear grind in my FK8, but zero grinds so far in the DE5 7300 km in. This gearbox is so good.

woah!

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
I've never had a grind but 1-2 is definitely the worst shift by far in terms of smoothness. If there's a way to adjust that I'd be interested as well. To me it feels like it might almost grind, but doesn't quite (5k miles)
Interesting. i have no issues with 1-2. The worst shift is going to 6th, with no issues going to 5th.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Interesting. i have no issues with 1-2. The worst shift is going to 6th, with no issues going to 5th.
My 6th has more resistance getting in gear. I'd say it's a similar feel to my 2nd