• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tuning a new car?

soloist80

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A Spec w/ Tech 6MT PWP/Orchid
I posted this question on Reddit and thought it'd be a good idea to post here also.

Just picked up my Integra on Thursday and I'm planning on getting a KTuner with the Phearable Stg 1.5 software. Just wondering when would be the appropriate time to drop a tune on it after the break in period.

Anyone else in the same boat?

RB2490

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 wrx, 2015nissan juke nismo, 15 scion frs
I flashed mine just about 500 miles but I didn't push the car until about 700 miles in. I flashed the basic 16.5psi first and I waited until about 1000 Mike's before I went to the 18psi. But its recommended to wait the 1000 miles. I have 1700 Miles no issues and no clutch slippage. Since I see you want the phearable tune and their tunes are like 23+psi I would flash their 16.5 first. It still better than stock and then move up after break-in.

OP
OP

soloist80

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I flashed mine just about 500 miles but I didn't push the car until about 700 miles in. I flashed the basic 16.5psi first and I waited until about 1000 Mike's before I went to the 18psi. But its recommended to wait the 1000 miles. I have 1700 Miles no issues and no clutch slippage. Since I see you want the phearable tune and their tunes are like 23+psi I would flash their 16.5 first. It still better than stock and then move up after break-in.
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I've been lurking these forums for the past few weeks prior to taking delivery of my Integra and I've been keeping an eye on your journey.

I'm only 167 miles in, so I'm still breaking in the motor. I figure I'll drive it stock to at least 1k miles and see how much I'm wanting for more power. For now, I'm thoroughly enjoying the car, even though I can't really rev it out yet.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I flashed the Phearable 1.5R at 1700 miles. Itā€™s one flash and the 3 maps are changed via cruise control buttons on the fly. Itā€™s much easier than I thought it would be. Running the 23 psi map is excellent. Strong middle end and top end. But still ultra drivable and still get 30+ mpgs.

OP
OP

soloist80

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I flashed the Phearable 1.5R at 1700 miles. Itā€™s one flash and the 3 maps are changed via cruise control buttons on the fly. Itā€™s much easier than I thought it would be. Running the 23 psi map is excellent. Strong middle end and top end. But still ultra drivable and still get 30+ mpgs.
That sounds awesome, though I do have concerns about long term reliability with these tunes.

Thanks for your input. It's definitely helping me make my decision to get the KTuner sooner than later šŸ˜‚

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
It's not helping me. At this rate I'll have the Ktuner before I have the car. ;)

OP
OP

soloist80

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's not helping me. At this rate I'll have the Ktuner before I have the car. ;)
I would've ended up in that situation had someone not cancelled their reservation on the car and I jumped on it :D. I'll probably pull the trigger on the KTuner this week.

OP
OP

soloist80

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So I've been noticing you've been active in the KTuner thread and posting your numbers and whatnot. Are you just more of a tinkerer or is all that adjustment necessary to get the most out of the Phearable tune? I was really pretty much hoping for a "set and forget" type tune like I had on my previous GTIs and Subies.

RB2490

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So I've been noticing you've been active in the KTuner thread and posting your numbers and whatnot. Are you just more of a tinkerer or is all that adjustment necessary to get the most out of the Phearable tune? I was really pretty much hoping for a "set and forget" type tune like I had on my previous GTIs and Subies.
I'm not on a phearable tune just yet. I've been messing around with ktuners off the shelf maps and because I made my own intake I wanted to make sure all the numbers were safe. With the off the shelve map or phearable its pretty much plug in play. No need to mess around with them, its just my nature to dive deeper even though I also wanted a "set and forget". Either way a tune on this car is the way to go with instant gratification that you got one.

OP
OP

soloist80

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not on a phearable tune just yet. I've been messing around with ktuners off the shelf maps and because I made my own intake I wanted to make sure all the numbers were safe. With the off the shelve map or phearable its pretty much plug in play. No need to mess around with them, its just my nature to dive deeper even though I also wanted a "set and forget". Either way a tune on this car is the way to go with instant gratification that you got one.
Ah OK. Thanks for the clarification. Still waiting to pull the trigger on the KTuner as I'm only at a little over 400 miles on the car. I'll probably end up buying it when I hit around 8-900 miles and throwing that 16.5psi tune on there first per your suggestion. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP

soloist80

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do either of you guys happen to know if the dealer can see if your ECU has been messed with? I'm totally willing to reflash to stock before a dealership visit. I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with warranty claims getting rejected because of their tune?

Thanks for the help!

RB2490

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do either of you guys happen to know if the dealer can see if your ECU has been messed with? I'm totally willing to reflash to stock before a dealership visit. I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with warranty claims getting rejected because of their tune?

Thanks for the help!
I believe they can but they would only check if you had catastrophic engine failure. Routine visits or even minor engine repair I don't think they will be checking. I believe they can see a flash count( could be wrong) or an over rev count where some tunes let you go to 6800 rpms they can see that. I could be wrong. I've Had pretty much every car I've owned tuned and never had an issue. Most people who ruined their car while tuned did it to themselves. Autotracking while not checking temps, redlining everyday stuff like that

OP
OP

soloist80

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I believe they can but they would only check if you had catastrophic engine failure. Routine visits or even minor engine repair I don't think they will be checking. I believe they can see a flash count( could be wrong) or an over rev count where some tunes let you go to 6800 rpms they can see that. I could be wrong. I've Had pretty much every car I've owned tuned and never had an issue. Most people who ruined their car while tuned did it to themselves. Autotracking while not checking temps, redlining everyday stuff like that
Yeah, I don't plan to thrash on the car at all and I've also had tuned cars go to the dealership without issue, however, this is my first Honda/Acura product and I don't know how strict they are regarding tunes. Your answer does put me at ease a bit.

Thanks for answering all my questions. Much appreciated!

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
The Phearable tune is indeed set and forget. Itā€™s locked so not much if anything can be user adjusted. I leave the v1.2 in so it saves map2 when I start the car each time and thatā€™s it.

The base Ktuner maps are what heā€™s tinkering with. To the benefit of us all :). You can set and forget those too. But unlike Phearable, they are fully opened and able to be altered.

Last edited:

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT

Thanks for the help!
Yep. I believe they can see the flash count. But I donā€™t think they would bother to check unless it was a big warranty claim that was engine/transmission related.

Even then itā€™s up to the individual dealer. When I had my RSX type s, I had a clogged iac valve. I was HEAVILY modified, had a throttle body spacer, different intake manifold, CAI. Everything around the throttle body was after market. And my tune was revving to 9300 rpmā€™s.

They couldnā€™t definitively determine if the oil making the valve stick was from the intake filter or blow by from the pcv system. So they replaced the entire throttle body under warranty. And they did it on their own. I didnā€™t even ask. That act 15 years ago is why I bought Tegs from them. Even though it was way out of my way.

Last edited: