• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sticky/Jerky Steering issue

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.

Imperial

First Name
Slava
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Acura RL Tech; 2024 Integra ASpec Tech
Update on the new steering rack...

It's beautiful! The sticky steering is gone, but overall the steering feel is much improved.
Do you use Android Auto/CarPlay and AcuraLink app?

evanescent03

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Z06; '24 PWP ITS
This should be a sticky. Pun intended. Glad you got your car sorted! I have a friend with an FL5 who is having the issue as well.

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GONE: ‘23 Integra A-Spec 6MT
I think I've started experiencing this in my '23 ASpec that just crossed 12,000mi. What I'm feeling is as if the steering rack "goes to sleep" whenever I drive straight ahead, and it takes a few degrees of movement before it "wakes up" and gives me power assist again. It hasn't prevented me from maneuvering but it's an odd sensation. Not a fan.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
I think I've started experiencing this in my '23 ASpec that just crossed 12,000mi. What I'm feeling is as if the steering rack "goes to sleep" whenever I drive straight ahead, and it takes a few degrees of movement before it "wakes up" and gives me power assist again. It hasn't prevented me from maneuvering but it's an odd sensation. Not a fan.
Yep. That’s it. Time to order the updated rack.

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
I took my car in yesterday to have it diagnosed and they ordered a new rack. They advised me that it would be some time before a part comes in and let me take my car back for the time being.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
and let me take my car back for the time being.
FWIW, this is one of those issues that'd make me very wary of driving the car. I could tolerate things like a bad window motor or even a hole in the tailpipe, but a problem with the steering can turn into what they'd call a "significant safety event" when it goes bad.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
FWIW, this is one of those issues that'd make me very wary of driving the car. I could tolerate things like a bad window motor or even a hole in the tailpipe, but a problem with the steering can turn into what they'd call a "significant safety event" when it goes bad.
Mine wasn’t a safety issue as it was just a “glitch” in the rack. Everything was still functional. But I get what you’re saying. The NHTSA has had a few crashes attributed to the issue.

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
Agreed! It has been as is for quite some time and I was advised it likely wouldn’t get worse than it already is. Hopefully they get the new rack sooner than later though for sure!

PJK3

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Liquid Carbon Metallic / Red A-Spec Tech
The backordered steering rack finally came in, and I brought the car to the dealer on Friday.

They put me in an Integra CVT A-Spec (non-tech) again, and I had the fortune of getting to try the slow traffic auto drive mode, which was pretty cool. (Not cool enough for me to give up the 6MT tho. ;))

They returned the car on Monday (had another unrelated minor issue that delayed things), and I have to agree -- the steering feels much more tangible and less detached from the road. It's hard to explain. I can't rule out the placebo effect either.

Unlike TrackRider54, my listed part was 53620-355-A24, not the A34 part.

That said, they did show me the alignment, and it was virtually identical both before and after. It wasn't great especially around the camber -1.1 deg and -0.2 deg L&R respectively. Toe and Caster were fine all around. They told me the car has no camber adjustment at all. :dunno:

The sticky feel is gone and the car tracks and drives true, so I'm a happy customer.

To Imperial's point, the steering wheel now isn't true to center. Based on this random circle segment illustrator I found online, I'd estimate it's about 3-5 deg off center to right.

Coincidentally, my oil change alert popped up the next day on the way home from work, so I'll ask them to fix the steering wheel alignment when I bring it in for my 2nd complimentary change.

Imperial

First Name
Slava
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Acura RL Tech; 2024 Integra ASpec Tech
The backordered steering rack finally came in, and I brought the car to the dealer on Friday.

They put me in an Integra CVT A-Spec (non-tech) again, and I had the fortune of getting to try the slow traffic auto drive mode, which was pretty cool. (Not cool enough for me to give up the 6MT tho. ;))

They returned the car on Monday (had another unrelated minor issue that delayed things), and I have to agree -- the steering feels much more tangible and less detached from the road. It's hard to explain. I can't rule out the placebo effect either.

Unlike TrackRider54, my listed part was 53620-355-A24, not the A34 part.

That said, they did show me the alignment, and it was virtually identical both before and after. It wasn't great especially around the camber -1.1 deg and -0.2 deg L&R respectively. Toe and Caster were fine all around. They told me the car has no camber adjustment at all. :dunno:

The sticky feel is gone and the car tracks and drives true, so I'm a happy customer.

To Imperial's point, the steering wheel now isn't true to center. Based on this random circle segment illustrator I found online, I'd estimate it's about 3-5 deg off center to right.

Coincidentally, my oil change alert popped up the next day on the way home from work, so I'll ask them to fix the steering wheel alignment when I bring it in for my 2nd complimentary change.
Good that you got your issue sorted out. I wonder which Integra gets A24 or A34 racks. How are these different?
I know that some vehicles may not have caster adjustment, but not having camber... If the caster is some degrees off, the steering wheel may not return to center after a turn. I had that on my Acura RL, but later was corrected by another shop. Before disconnecting steering rack, tech usually ties steering wheel to something, so it wouldn't move freely.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
Good that you got your issue sorted out. I wonder which Integra gets A24 or A34 racks. How are these different?
I know that some vehicles may not have caster adjustment, but not having camber... If the caster is some degrees off, the steering wheel may not return to center after a turn. I had that on my Acura RL, but later was corrected by another shop. Before disconnecting steering rack, tech usually ties steering wheel to something, so it wouldn't move freely.
Best I can tell is the A24 is for 6M cars and the A34 is for CVT.