• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sticky/Jerky Steering issue

Car00071

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
The backordered steering rack finally came in, and I brought the car to the dealer on Friday.

They put me in an Integra CVT A-Spec (non-tech) again, and I had the fortune of getting to try the slow traffic auto drive mode, which was pretty cool. (Not cool enough for me to give up the 6MT tho. ;))

They returned the car on Monday (had another unrelated minor issue that delayed things), and I have to agree -- the steering feels much more tangible and less detached from the road. It's hard to explain. I can't rule out the placebo effect either.

Unlike TrackRider54, my listed part was 53620-355-A24, not the A34 part.

That said, they did show me the alignment, and it was virtually identical both before and after. It wasn't great especially around the camber -1.1 deg and -0.2 deg L&R respectively. Toe and Caster were fine all around. They told me the car has no camber adjustment at all. :dunno:

The sticky feel is gone and the car tracks and drives true, so I'm a happy customer.

To Imperial's point, the steering wheel now isn't true to center. Based on this random circle segment illustrator I found online, I'd estimate it's about 3-5 deg off center to right.

Coincidentally, my oil change alert popped up the next day on the way home from work, so I'll ask them to fix the steering wheel alignment when I bring it in for my 2nd complimentary change.
I think there is some front factory camber adjustment for the a spec aswell. I did a post on my type s where I had two alignment front shock pins removed which it showed in one of the resources (manuals I think) to add more camber. Mine was weird and my left had like -1.9 and the right had like -1.2. Had them both put closer to -2.

Last edited:

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech 6MT
I think there is some factory camber adjustment for the a spec aswell. I did a post on my type s where I had two alignment shock pins removed which it showed in one of the resources (manuals I think) to add more camber. Mine was weird and my left had like -1.9 and the right had like -1.2. Had them both put closer to -2.
A-Spec has the same pins for the front wheels.
Many coilovers have adjustable camber in the front via the top hats.

Camber is fixed in the rear, so you need to go adjustable camber arms if you want some flexibility.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
My integra has closer to 13,000 miles and I am now apart of this thread šŸ„². Felt the ā€œstickinessā€ while trying to make small adjustments to drive straight on the freeway I felt the slight resistance for a brief sec then back to normal until I stop moving the wheel again. Once it becomes an annoyance Iā€™ll make a stop at my dealer so that they can ā€œnot replicate itā€ lol.

lunchbox

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Manual
Add me to the list too :( Same as everyone else... varying amounts of friction when trying to make tiny adjustments at speed. GF's 8 year old Golf has considerably smoother steering on the freeway lol.

Good way to replicate (atleast in mine) is set the wheel barely left of center and leave it there for as long as possible. Then try to make a slight correction to the right. Sometimes I'll get a very obvious "unsticking" as I add more and more force to the wheel. Off putting for sure. I think I may just live with it until they release a full on service bulletin and certain fix for it. Just replacing stuff with the same potentially defective parts sounds like a waste of time.

Integration

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra MT A Spec
Does anyone have a sense of how long these investigations and the deployment of a solution usually takes? I mostly use my car on the highway, and am not taking it on road trips anymore because it's so exhausting to drive. My wife thinks I should just sell the car and get something else. As time passes, I'm having more and more trouble convincing myself that she's wrong.

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GONE: ā€˜23 Integra A-Spec 6MT
I finally have an appointment to fix my engine mount issue next week so Iā€™ll mention the steering problem then. It comes and goes so Iā€™m not expecting much from the dealer.

My wife thinks I should just sell the car and get something else. As time passes, I'm having more and more trouble convincing myself that she's wrong.
After a really disappointing first year with this car Iā€™m in the same boat. Iā€™ve gone as far as to test drive a couple of options.

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I mentioned this problem when I dropped my car off this morning for an unrelated repair. Encouragingly, the service advisor is familiar with the problem and knows what they have to look for. However he was clear that they (understandably) have to confirm the problem themselves. 50/50 chance I think. Mine needs to be driven a few minutes before it starts acting up, so once up and down the alley wonā€™t reveal anything.

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
New steering rack ordered šŸŽ‰. SA said theyā€™ve done three of them this week alone. I get the impression that Acura is being proactive about this issue when it comes in. I also think my dealer may be doing a a little extra on their end to take care of this one on account of how often Iā€™m in there with issues. Which Iā€™ll gratefully accept if thatā€™s the case.

He said the part might take a week or two to come in.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA35 AMG
New steering rack ordered šŸŽ‰. SA said theyā€™ve done three of them this week alone. I get the impression that Acura is being proactive about this issue when it comes in. I also think my dealer may be doing a a little extra on their end to take care of this one on account of how often Iā€™m in there with issues. Which Iā€™ll gratefully accept if thatā€™s the case.

He said the part might take a week or two to come in.
Can you remind us where are you located. Acura Canada is infuriatingly oblivious about the steering issue, including my dealership.:/

Zircular

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you are in the Nashville area and went to Gary Force I was one of the three.
No, Iā€™m in east TN. But I know of Gary Force. According to Carfax, my car was originally delivered there and came to Knoxville via a dealer swap.

I wonder if Acura is trying to head off a NHTSA investigation in the US. This is a potential safety issue which seems to be fairly common. Not sure how that impacts Canada but one would at least hope for a TSB that owners in other markets could reference.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Can you remind us where are you located. Acura Canada is infuriatingly oblivious about the steering issue, including my dealership.:/
Still nothing? I have some time this week so I was thinking of paying them a visit.

I found on a long drive that if you turn on lane keeping cruise control and not enable it (if that makes sense), it will feel somewhat better. I guess having the actuator on overcomes the stickiness to a degree.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA35 AMG
Still nothing? I have some time this week so I was thinking of paying them a visit.

I found on a long drive that if you turn on lane keeping cruise control and not enable it (if that makes sense), it will feel somewhat better. I guess having the actuator on overcomes the stickiness to a degree.
Yeah i've responded to all emails from corporate, with case# references and pointing out all documentation from all authorities. Also filed with Tansport Canada, radio silence from all parties. Visited the dealer and they say their hands are tied until Acura Canada agrees to do something, while corporate is saying they rely on the dealerships.. next oil change isnt far so will do another round of discussion.

Yeah im using lane keep assist when it gets bad and make the car work for it. I have the road departure mitigation off though, makes it more difficult to control otherwise.