• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

OEM+ solution: MagSafe puck to replace Qi charger

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech 6MT
I’ve been toying with the idea of 3D printing a tray that replaces ONLY the charging pad area. It would house an official MagSafe puck. In order to get full 15W wireless capabilities, it requires to be hooked up to a 20w power source. There’s plenty of low profile cigarette lighters that offer that, but I’m searching for an integrated (hidden) converter that to make it OEM looking and hide ALL wires.

I already have wireless CarPlay, but a faster charging solution would be extremely welcomed. The current 7.5W is the pits.

My biggest obstacle right now is to get familiarized with some (free) 3D printing software and find someone to do the actual printing.

Anyone want to collaborate in this project?

IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3075.jpeg

Nickp15

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
I can help with the CAD drawings!! No access to a 3D printer however.

Closely following this thread!

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Check out your local library for access to a 3D printer. I've lived in 2 cities that have this. One let me bring my own flash drive and print things myself, but they limit your time to 2 hours at a time. The other has you email them your STL file and they print it for you, but their backlog can take up to 3 weeks. But the prints are quite cheap - what you're designing will probably cost you $5-10 at most to print at the library.

OP
OP
JC-RH

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I can help with the CAD drawings!! No access to a 3D printer however.

Closely following this thread!
Awesome! I have a caliper, but it’s not digital. Would you recommend I still take the measurements? If so, I can draw up a diagram and get it over to you.

OP
OP
JC-RH

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Check out your local library for access to a 3D printer. I've lived in 2 cities that have this. One let me bring my own flash drive and print things myself, but they limit your time to 2 hours at a time. The other has you email them your STL file and they print it for you, but their backlog can take up to 3 weeks. But the prints are quite cheap - what you're designing will probably cost you $5-10 at most to print at the library.
I learned about this yesterday. I finally got the contact info today, so I will reach out in a bit. Hopefully they can print it out. If not, we’ll have to look for another low cost option.

Nickp15

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
Awesome! I have a caliper, but it’s not digital. Would you recommend I still take the measurements? If so, I can draw up a diagram and get it over to you.
Sure thing. It's a simple rectangular piece. I just need the height and width. More important I assume is the thickness.
Before we even get into that, let me make sure I'm understanding you. Drew a couple of sketches below. Is something like this what you have in mind? (this but a quick out-of-proportions sketch to get the idea across 😅)

2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JC-RH

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sure thing. It's a simple rectangular piece. I just need the height and width. More important I assume is the thickness.

Before we even get into that, let me make sure I'm understanding you. Drew a couple of sketches below. Is something like this what you have in mind? (this but a quick out-of-proportions sketch to get the idea across, I promise I'm a better CAD artist 😅)

2.jpg

1.jpg
Yes!! You read my mind! I should have some time this Sunday to take the certer console apart to take some exact measurements.

I appreciate all your help on this.

OP
OP
JC-RH

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I finally had a chance to take things apart. Not too difficult, but I couldn’t find good directions on the removal for the part near the charger. Turns out there was a hidden screw near the top right (close to the cigarette lighter).

Upon disassembly of the whole thing, I went a step further and removed the four PH1 screws holding the actual charger case together. I’m curious to know if I can simply place a MagSafe charger underneath OEM pad and if it’ll work. I need to swing by the Apple Store tomorrow or Weds. I figured that the Qi charger already goes through the plastic and works (for the most part). The MagSafe charger seems even more direct (less distance/thickmess) above it. It would just be a matter of finding a way to secure it. If it works, it would truly look OEM.

The only other part to figure out is the power source. I’m still unable to find any 12v converter that allows for 20w or more. The only thing I can think of is to get those ultra low profile cigarette lighter plugs/charger, and dislodge the OEM one. I would have everything connected behind the panel to avoid it showing, and the 12v cover would still block it.

If my little experiment fails, I’ll take measurements to create a new tray to accommodate the MagSafe puck.

Any thoughts?

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_0193.jpeg

IMG_0196.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JC-RH

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

A3REDT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6MT, 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS 6
Sounds like a cool project!

I have a couple of entry-level 3D printers, as well as CAD software and an Integra. Would be happy to help with printing if you're not able to find a good option locally.

But also I have used Shapeways in the past(before I had a printer). Good option that's not too expensive as long as you design the part correctly for 3D printing.

OP
OP
JC-RH

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you! I’ll keep everyone updated.

OP
OP
JC-RH

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I ordered an Apple MagSafe charger this morning. It’ll arrive on Thursday for me to test out.

For those with base Integras, do you have a one piece phone tray, or is it a 2-piece like those with a wireless charger? All the pics I’ve seen appear to have a mat covering it. Maybe it can be modded to house the MagSafe charger. Anyone have a part number for it?

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I ordered an Apple MagSafe charger this morning. It’ll arrive on Thursday for me to test out.

For those with base Integras, do you have a one piece phone tray, or is it a 2-piece like those with a wireless charger? All the pics I’ve seen appear to have a mat covering it. Maybe it can be modded to house the MagSafe charger. Anyone have a part number for it?
Here's a link to the install guide for the wireless charger for cars that don't come with it: https://www.integraforums.com/forum/attachments/bii19600-22-pdf.223473/

Looks like the base integra does come with just a single trim piece. Part number for the wireless charger kit is in the guide but I don't see a part number for the non-charger piece.

I took measurements of my charger area today and have been thinking of making something similar to what you're doing, but doing an easily removable solution instead that sits on top of the existing mat, with a neatly tucked away MagSafe cable. The only caveats would be you'd lose about 5mm of vertical space and the USB-C port would be in use (not a huge deal in my case but YMMV). And you'd have to make sure to turn off the OEM charger before installing it. This could be a universal solution for cars with and without existing charging mats, and would not require taking the car apart at all.