• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Moonroof in type S possible in future?

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
Sun roofs are funny, people want them but rarely use them, they always end up leaking and they add weight to the top of the car which is exactly why the type S doesn't have one yet the A spec does.

BackPack

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Honda Accord EX-L, 2004 Acura RSX Type S
I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether the new type S will have a moonroof in the future if not for this release? I am considering trading in my current, a spec Integra for the type S, but I am set on having a moonroof. Does anyone think that future releases will include one?
Also, since I plan to trade in my new Integra with 3500 miles will it depreciate a ton if I wait another year?

Iā€™m so torn what to do here!
I have no insight on whether a moonroof will be offered in the future or not. My opinion is they wonā€™t offer one. If they wanted the car to have a moonroof, they would have launched with it.

Every car Iā€™ve bought over the past 20 years has come with a moonroof. Some were never opened. A couple were opened once to make sure it worked. I remember the first car I bought that had a moonroof. I was so excited to have a factory moonroof. This is back in the day when most cars didnā€˜t have them and people were actually cutting holes in their roofs to install aftermarket moonroofs. After using it a few times, I found I hated it. I didnā€™t like how the wind noise drowned out my music. I didnā€™t like how I got sunburned on my face during a drive. Just wasnā€™t for me.

Even if I was a huge fan of moonroofs, I would not let the lack of this feature stop me from buying this car. Or the lack of USB ports or HVAC ports for the rear seats like some people here are complaining about. You buy this car because you love high horsepower manual transmission cars. And you buy it because soon you wonā€™t be able to buy any manual transmission cars. Nothing else matters.

As to your question on depreciation; yes your current car will be worth less if you wait another year. Itā€™s also possible the Type S can be bought for less money in a year if they are sitting on the lot unsold. If I were in your position, I would continue enjoying my A-Spec and wait 1 - 2 years before buying the Type S.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 S2000, 2013 Civic Si Sedan
They will never have it on the Integra Type S or Civic Type R.

Direct video from Acura at the 2:46 mark. It's removed on purpose to save weight and increase performance / center of gravity:

OP
OP
Khyle785

Khyle785

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra 2023, Toyota MR2 1987
They will never have it on the Integra Type S or Civic Type R.

Direct video from Acura at the 2:46 mark. It's removed on purpose to save weight and increase performance / center of gravity:

Iā€™m depressed over it honestly. Every sports car ever have ever owned has had sunroof or moonroof orttop. I always used them and never had any leak issues ever. They should let customers have option up custom order one. I mean for that price tier

Rdrcr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (Reserved)
^^^^
Never say never. I still think itā€™s possible itā€™ll be an option in the future assuming production continues after the first year or so.

Mike

ijm5012

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
Sun roofs are funny, people want them but rarely use them, they always end up leaking and they add weight to the top of the car which is exactly why the type S doesn't have one yet the A spec does.
I had a 15 year old Civic Si that had a factory moonroof and it never leaked. Not once.

I also used it all the time in the spring and fall, with the rear windows down to better hear the exhaust and eliminate the buffeting that you'd get just by putting only the rear windows down.

And can we stop with the trope that Acura didn't include it because of "weight savings"? Acura didn't include it because the ITS is a badge-engineered CTR, and they couldn't spend money to modify the chassis to include one. If Acura was really that concerned about weight, they would've made the driver seat manual adjust, not power, and would reduce rotating mass my making the brake rotors two-piece designs and the wheels forged.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I had a 15 year old Civic Si that had a factory moonroof and it never leaked. Not once.

I also used it all the time in the spring and fall, with the rear windows down to better hear the exhaust and eliminate the buffeting that you'd get just by putting only the rear windows down.

And can we stop with the trope that Acura didn't include it because of "weight savings"? Acura didn't include it because the ITS is a badge-engineered CTR, and they couldn't spend money to modify the chassis to include one. If Acura was really that concerned about weight, they would've made the driver seat manual adjust, not power, and would reduce rotating mass my making the brake rotors two-piece designs and the wheels forged.
Front rotors are ctr two piece. And wheels are lighter then the 18s on the Aspec.

ijm5012

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
Front rotors are ctr two piece. And wheels are lighter then the 18s on the Aspec.
That's good the rotors are 2-piece, as they should be. Acura just liked to make everything heavy AF on the TLX-S, because they're 1-piece rotors on that car.

And while the wheels may be lighter, they're not forged. There are optional forged wheels for the CTR, but they're not offered on the ITS, only the same wheels painted in a copper color.

I would think that for a car where they try to say that saving weight is crucial, they'd want to reduce as much unsprung, rotating mass as possible. I know that the EVO MR back in the day came with forged BBS wheels from the factory. It'd be nice if Acura did something similar, since they have to re-use so much of the Civic for cost-saving measures elsewhere.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z

I disagree, I think weight savings on the top of the car vs the seats, at the bottom of the car is a good reason to forgo a sunroof, but again, I don't know fort sure, it really doesn't matter just discussing possibilities is all.

Ricochet48

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 RSX Type S
I use my RSX's sunroof a LOT, it's super refreshing and brightens / opens up the interior imho.

It has never leaked in 18+ years of ownership.

Looks like they are playing the 'performance' card though haha. At least the M240i has it for the same price (and 100hp more haha).

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Winter beater currently
Chiming in also to add to the disappointed reactions about the lack of sunroof. I use mine year-round almost on a daily basis, and at least open the sun shade if I donā€™t actuate the roof to open. I have a 2004 Acura TSX and the sunroof has never leaked, nor caused a leak elsewhere on the car.

Ricochet48

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 RSX Type S
...and at least open the sun shade if I donā€™t actuate the roof to open.
I never even thought about the "sun shade" (or know what it was called).

I have always had mine open since the first day I drove it in 2005. Makes the small cabin feel a bit bigger with the extra light.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I never opened mine. The sun seems to shine into my eyes anytime I even open the shade.

OP
OP
Khyle785

Khyle785

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra 2023, Toyota MR2 1987
Iā€™ve only ever owned manual sports cars all with either ttops or sunroofs and never experienced leaks even with the aftermarket one ā€¦ I use them every time weather is nice and warm. Itā€™s kind of a necessary item for me
I use my RSX's sunroof a LOT, it's super refreshing and brightens / opens up the interior imho.

It has never leaked in 18+ years of ownership.

Looks like they are playing the 'performance' card though haha. At least the M240i has it for the same price (and 100hp more haha).

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
wish i knew for sure if itwill be an option though.....i really want the S sooner than later but at same time would hate toregret if they started offering the sunroof!!!
May be down the line in a refresh but Acura and Honda alike donā€™t typically offer option packages like Subaru does for instance. You get trim levels with whatever they allocate to said level and thatā€™s that.