• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Moonroof in type S possible in future?

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Winter beater currently
I had one of the first MK7 Golf Rs in Canada, and for the entire ownership experience, I really missed having a sunroof. Currently thinking I’m willing to forgo it for the Type R or Type S, but definitely will miss the “sorta” open air experience. Miata for the weekend would be awesome if I get a 2-car stable.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
I had one of the first MK7 Golf Rs in Canada, and for the entire ownership experience, I really missed having a sunroof. Currently thinking I’m willing to forgo it for the Type R or Type S, but definitely will miss the “sorta” open air experience. Miata for the weekend would be awesome if I get a 2-car stable.
Something tells me once you get into some canyon style roads where you can push the type s, you will forget all about the sunroof.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes
I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether the new type S will have a moonroof in the future if not for this release? I am considering trading in my current, a spec Integra for the type S, but I am set on having a moonroof. Does anyone think that future releases will include one?
Also, since I plan to trade in my new Integra with 3500 miles will it depreciate a ton if I wait another year?

I’m so torn what to do here!
Would you like that with an automatic?

HatchyMcHatcherson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 VW GTI
I was hoping that the ITS was going to be a civilized CTR with a moonroof and heated seats. I figured, they wouldn't spin up a whole new body shell for a low-production model, since all the other Integras had a moonroof standard, right?

If the ITS was going to have a moonroof, it would have one at launch. There will never be a moonroof in the ITS.

I'm 6'4". Over the past 30 years, I've daily driven ten different cars almost 1.5 million miles total in Southern California stop-and-go traffic. They all had a manual and they all had a sunroof that I used ~300 days per year. I've never had one leak and I've never had one crack and none of them interfered with my headroom. I will never buy another car without one.

I have six requirements for my next car (in this order):
1) Manual transmission
2) Hatchback
3) Sunroof
4) ~300hp that you can actually put down, and
5) The best handling I can possibly get (yeah, I know, blah blah "sunroof adds too much weight up high" blah blah "structural rigidity" blah blah. My Mk7.5 GTI with a big ass panoramic sunroof and my 2019 Civic SI with a moonroof can do it, so I'm sure an ITS with its fancy suspension should have no trouble even with a sunroof).
6) It needs to do all this while looking mostly stock

I thought the ITS was going to be the perfect car, but I'm left with a few less-than-ideal options:

* Buy an ITS and cut a hole in the roof.
* Buy a Mk8 Golf R (was going to be my plan until the rumors about VW dropping the manual for MY2024)
* Buy an Integra A-spec and spend the rest of the $ on mods (possibly swapping in K20C and doing a full ITS suspension swap). This has the benefit of avoiding the obnoxious ITS body kit.
* Buy a Civic Sport Touring Hatch and go crazy on the mods - especially since the Civic hatch looks better than either Integra anyway.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I was hoping that the ITS was going to be a civilized CTR with a moonroof and heated seats. I figured, they wouldn't spin up a whole new body shell for a low-production model, since all the other Integras had a moonroof standard, right?

If the ITS was going to have a moonroof, it would have one at launch. There will never be a moonroof in the ITS.

I'm 6'4". Over the past 30 years, I've daily driven ten different cars almost 1.5 million miles total in Southern California stop-and-go traffic. They all had a manual and they all had a sunroof that I used ~300 days per year. I've never had one leak and I've never had one crack and none of them interfered with my headroom. I will never buy another car without one.

1) Manual transmission
2) Hatchback
3) Sunroof
5) The best handling I can possibly get (yeah, I know, blah blah "sunroof adds too much weight up high" blah blah "structural rigidity" blah blah. My Mk7.5 GTI with a big ass panoramic sunroof and my 2019 Civic SI with a moonroof can do it, so I'm sure an ITS with its fancy suspension should have no trouble even with a sunroof).

I thought the ITS was going to be the perfect car, but I'm left with a few less-than-ideal options:

* Buy a Mk8 Golf R (was going to be my plan until the rumors about VW dropping the manual for MY2024)
* Buy an Integra A-spec and spend the rest of the $ on mods (possibly swapping in K20C and doing a full ITS suspension swap). This has the benefit of avoiding the obnoxious ITS body kit.
* Buy a Civic Sport Touring Hatch and go crazy on the mods - especially since the Civic hatch looks better than either Integra anyway.
You can probably buy an Aspec for same or less than the Civic.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Winter beater currently

1) Manual transmission
2) Hatchback
3) Sunroof

I’m with you too - the ITS not getting a moonroof was a big surprise and disappointment for me. Thought the ITS would differentiate itself as the non-track, slightly luxurious cousin to the CTR with a moonroof being one of the highlight-differences. And like you mentioned, the Integra shell already (only) came with a hole in its roof prior to what we now know as the ITS.

If we’re looking for high performance hatchback-opening practical cars with top-tier manual gearboxes, unfortunately the list starts and ends with only two: CTR and ITS. It’s up to each of us moonroof fans if giving up that feature is worth it or not - To you, obviously it’s not.

I’ve driven plenty of other manufacturers’ manuals and unfortunately only the Miata’s and (presumably Porsches) come anywhere close to the perfection that is Honda’s. I’ll never own a manual VW or BMW.

Because I love open-top or semi open-top motoring like you, the eventual goal is to have both an ITS and a Miata in the garage, but it does suck knowing I’ll never be able to allow air and light into the cabin from above when commuting in the ITS.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
I know the original poster has an Integra now, but for the other folks, have you been in a new Integra or Civic? Is the sunroof REALLY worth this much gnashing of teeth? I mean I get it if you have a GTI or similar now, the sunroof in my S3 is freaking awesome. But IMO, the Integra one isn't comparable, so even if it was offered, it might not be enough for those coming from a German brand. That's why I mostly don't care, but I get it if you do.

OP
OP
Khyle785

Khyle785

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra 2023, Toyota MR2 1987

1) Manual transmission
2) Hatchback
3) Sunroof

I’m with you too - the ITS not getting a moonroof was a big surprise and disappointment for me. Thought the ITS would differentiate itself as the non-track, slightly luxurious cousin to the CTR with a moonroof being one of the highlight-differences. And like you mentioned, the Integra shell already (only) came with a hole in its roof prior to what we now know as the ITS.

If we’re looking for high performance hatchback-opening practical cars with top-tier manual gearboxes, unfortunately the list starts and ends with only two: CTR and ITS. It’s up to each of us moonroof fans if giving up that feature is worth it or not - To you, obviously it’s not.

I’ve driven plenty of other manufacturers’ manuals and unfortunately only the Miata’s and (presumably Porsches) come anywhere close to the perfection that is Honda’s. I’ll never own a manual VW or BMW.

Because I love open-top or semi open-top motoring like you, the eventual goal is to have both an ITS and a Miata in the garage, but it does suck knowing I’ll never be able to allow air and light into the cabin from above when commuting in the ITS.
^^^
This. All of this exactly describes my feelings towards the ITS.
When I can afford the overpriced S I will make sure i get that moonroof installed if they do not offer that as an option in future. I love being able to have it fully open or tilt it for some fresh air when I dont want windows down. Also I love the light in the car. I'm also quite clausterphobic too

sfedai0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
01 civic
Im definitely the outlier here. Hate the extra noise and extra heat and sunlight that gets introduced in to the cabin. Then again, when I owned a S2k, I drove with the top down like 2 times. Hated the wind and noise. I preferred top up so I could easily hear the engine.

Hakmamba

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000, T4R V8, Prius Prime, Integra Type S
All cars are compromised in some way (unless it's "The Homer") . Like everyone said, i also don't' believe its ever going to happen, but it shouldn't dissuade one from getting an ITS. I have a S2000 and there are at times i wished i had the optional hardtop, instead of overthinking it, and realizing how stupid it was to spend 5K on a hardtop, took that $ toward got a Miata RF Club as well now now i have soft and hard top. Why limit yourself to only 1 car when you can have more options, the more the merrier. Also someone mentioned above they had an S3 and their moonroof was nice, i had an RS3, and while it was nice , the sunshade would always shift and bothered the hell out of me. Moonroof's can also leak in time and have drain issues. In the end I don't think moon/sun roof should ever be deal breaker. I will say once you tried enough cars, and enough manual one's as well, that is true deal breaker as many cars have some horrible manuals.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
All cars are compromised in some way (unless it's "The Homer") . Like everyone said, i also don't' believe its ever going to happen, but it shouldn't dissuade one from getting an ITS. I have a S2000 and there are at times i wished i had the optional hardtop, instead of overthinking it, and realizing how stupid it was to spend 5K on a hardtop, took that $ toward got a Miata RF Club as well now now i have soft and hard top. Why limit yourself to only 1 car when you can have more options, the more the merrier. Also someone mentioned above they had an S3 and their moonroof was nice, i had an RS3, and while it was nice , the sunshade would always shift and bothered the hell out of me. Moonroof's can also leak in time and have drain issues. In the end I don't think moon/sun roof should ever be deal breaker. I will say once you tried enough cars, and enough manual one's as well, that is true deal breaker as many cars have some horrible manuals.
It's all about the driving experience for me. I always look forward never up.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!