• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jack points and stands. for us Po' people

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
So, you need the car high enough to work under it, but you bought an ITS and now you're too Po' for a quick jack thingy or don't have access to a nice lift. (and frankly don't trust any shop in the area)
Well, Harbor freight has you covered with some cheap ramps and jacks stands.. :headbang:
I know there was some discussion about jack points on the car so just listing what I did in 5 minutes to get the car high enough to do the downpipe, front pipe and RRM..

1st. up on ramps. (I use some old boards to clear the bottom of bumper)
232154-9a10c1b2447840040791fa61ecfa23fc.jpg

2nd. jack rear and put on jack stands near lowest setting.
232150-a4ab0cc50de2cb5290cee55324a5ee4c.jpg

3rd. I use some cut 2x12's and give that jack the lift it needs. this will bring the rear above the front on the ramps.
232151-5369bc6356752a8d72127a2d71512e73.jpg

4th. I use the same 2x12's and now lift the front.
232152-fa086827f2fd532ba961c8fd6775838c.jpg

5th. Take out the ramps, Prop it on the front jack stands and then put the ramps back but backwards.
232153-6926a140febcb47b24c2911d89dccff6.jpg

now you have plenty of clearance

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
The poors appreciate your resourcefulness.

I’ll add here, as in my younger days, I used wood under a jack to get higher, but in my case, it was a 2x4 or 2x6, not wide enough to be under the wheels of the jack. This was super dumb and dangerous, as the jack needs to roll inward as you jack up the car. Because my wood was not wide enough, and the wheels weren’t on a solid surface they could roll on, instead of rolling, the jack started to tip inward. I recognized it and stopped before it became a problem, but I hadn’t thought about it beforehand, and it could have gone very badly for me. Make sure your wood is wide enough to allow the jack to roll naturally as the car jacks up.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
i broke down and bought the quickjack 5000TLX bundle. i didn't want to do the song and dance with ramps and jacks, but honestly the quickjacks are a huge pain to use. they're a pain to set up for the first time. they are fucking HEAVY so moving them around and getting them in position sucks, and you have to keep getting down to the ground to see if the blocks are lining up with the pinch welds as you go to raise them.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Did you get any rubber inserts for your jack stands?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I always suspected that the quickjack was a heavy hassle that was more trouble than it was worth. I imagine they are nice in some regards but they never looked easy to me.

i broke down and bought the quickjack 5000TLX bundle. i didn't want to do the song and dance with ramps and jacks, but honestly the quickjacks are a huge pain to use. they're a pain to set up for the first time. they are fucking HEAVY so moving them around and getting them in position sucks, and you have to keep getting down to the ground to see if the blocks are lining up with the pinch welds as you go to raise them.

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
Can confirm that the QuickJacks are a PITA to move around and set up. Upside is that once it's set up, working on the car is a breeze.

ckone2030

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2024 BMW M3 Competition
So, you need the car high enough to work under it, but you bought an ITS and now you're too Po' for a quick jack thingy or don't have access to a nice lift. (and frankly don't trust any shop in the area)
Well, Harbor freight has you covered with some cheap ramps and jacks stands.. :headbang:
I know there was some discussion about jack points on the car so just listing what I did in 5 minutes to get the car high enough to do the downpipe, front pipe and RRM..

1st. up on ramps. (I use some old boards to clear the bottom of bumper)
232154-9a10c1b2447840040791fa61ecfa23fc.jpg

2nd. jack rear and put on jack stands near lowest setting.
232150-a4ab0cc50de2cb5290cee55324a5ee4c.jpg

3rd. I use some cut 2x12's and give that jack the lift it needs. this will bring the rear above the front on the ramps.
232151-5369bc6356752a8d72127a2d71512e73.jpg

4th. I use the same 2x12's and now lift the front.
232152-fa086827f2fd532ba961c8fd6775838c.jpg

5th. Take out the ramps, Prop it on the front jack stands and then put the ramps back but backwards.
232153-6926a140febcb47b24c2911d89dccff6.jpg

now you have plenty of clearance
Sorry but what is the logic of putting the ramps backward? Trying to understand the benefit of doing so. Thanks.

OP
OP
koatic

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
Sorry but what is the logic of putting the ramps backward? Trying to understand the benefit of doing so. Thanks.
I have had the unfortunate experience of being under a car when a jack base gave way. I walked away with only cracked ribs thanks to secondary measures. At that height, if one jack gives, it will be enough drop to tip the other side over and have complete collapse. With ramps under it, you can have one jack fail and it will not tip over the over side resulting in eminent death. Safety under a car on jacks is not a joke.
Obviously with jacks in place the ramps will only fit backwards.

ckone2030

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have had the unfortunate experience of being under a car when a jack base gave way. I walked away with only cracked ribs thanks to secondary measures. At that height, if one jack gives, it will be enough drop to tip the other side over and have complete collapse. With ramps under it, you can have one jack fail and it will not tip over the over side resulting in eminent death. Safety under a car on jacks is not a joke.
Obviously with jacks in place the ramps will only fit backwards.
Thank you for the explanation and completely agree with the risks. I currently use Race Ramps to raise the car. Although I have never raise both front and rear, I will plan to do that soon. My plan is to use the ramps for the front, jack the rear and use the jack stands, but still have the jack on the back for secondary measure. Hopefully that is safe enough.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Thank you for the explanation and completely agree with the risks. I currently use Race Ramps to raise the car. Although I have never raise both front and rear, I will plan to do that soon. My plan is to use the ramps for the front, jack the rear and use the jack stands, but still have the jack on the back for secondary measure. Hopefully that is safe enough.
I keep the jack about an inch below the jackpoint myself even though I have jackstands in as a secondary measure.

On a related note, are there any reported failures at all when it comes to ramps? It's very hard, tough plastic but is there the possibility it can deteriorate and just give way?

I'm on the fence about buying amazon-sourced stands, or just spring for brand name like race ramps.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I have race ramps as well but with the car on the ramps the rear squats so low I don't think a jack will fit.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I appreciate this! Now I can use my leftover 2x12’s to get the rears level. I have a treated wood ramp setup so it’s very strong but the jack maxed out to where I couldn’t quite fit my rear wood pedestals I made. They were literally about a quarter inch too short.

ckone2030

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I keep the jack about an inch below the jackpoint myself even though I have jackstands in as a secondary measure.

On a related note, are there any reported failures at all when it comes to ramps? It's very hard, tough plastic but is there the possibility it can deteriorate and just give way?

I'm on the fence about buying amazon-sourced stands, or just spring for brand name like race ramps.
This is just my experience so please anyone chime in. I looked at ramps from Amazon but none were wide enough and had the low clearance for the ITS. The only one that would work is Race Ramps and also using their extenders since I lowered the ITS. While they are more expensive, I thought the quality is excellent. But they are bulky so need space to store them. I am also very cautious when using them and never got the car to the highest point.