• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DE5 DIY Oil Change

Quinn Regis

First Name
IntegraQ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I am considering doing my oil changes for my DE5. Does anyone here do their oil changes themselves? If so, do you need a new washer for the drain plug. I am using Amsoil Signature series synthetic for oil as I have a membership.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
If you want to do it “by the book” the crush washer is suppose to get replaced every oil change. In reality they can be replaced every other oil change (if you aren’t over-torquing the drain plug) and have no oil leak issues, but yes they’re suppose to be replaced every time.

OP
OP

Quinn Regis

First Name
IntegraQ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
If you want to do it “by the book” the crush washer is suppose to get replaced every oil change. In reality they can be replaced every other oil change (if you aren’t over-torquing the drain plug) and have no oil leak issues, but yes they’re suppose to be replaced every time.
Awesome! thanks for you advice

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS LCM/Red; '16 BMW M235-xdrive
I'm planning to do my own oil change after the break in period, is the oil drain plug crush washer included with the oil filter? I plan on picking up an OE filter (which looks like it's made by FRAM) either at the dealership or online.

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
I'm planning to do my own oil change after the break in period, is the oil drain plug crush washer included with the oil filter? I plan on picking up an OE filter (which looks like it's made by FRAM) either at the dealership or online.
99% sure the answer is no.

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
99% sure the answer is no.
That's disappointing; it probably costs pennies. I liked how the oil filters for my BMW (MANN) included the crush washer and o-rings, I also like the top, engine bay mounted design of it too (rather than the bottom mounted design). I guess it's another part I'll have to grab from the dealer.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
That's disappointing; it probably costs pennies. I liked how the oil filters for my BMW (MANN) included the crush washer and o-rings, I also like the top, engine bay mounted design of it too (rather than the bottom mounted design). I guess it's another part I'll have to grab from the dealer.
You can buy a bunch from Amazon. I bought 50 or so and the same one fits multiple vehicles.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
oh my god i didn't know you were supposed to replace those every/other oil change lmao i never once changed it on my old car and never had any oil leaks. the only time i ever replaced it was when it occasionally got lost in the oil catch pan lmao

amsoil signature master race reporting in lol so yeah that's a big fat no, the oil nor the filters you buy from them come with crush washers (including the Wix filters)

You can buy a bunch from Amazon. I bought 50 or so and the same one fits multiple vehicles.
can you link to the ones you buy please

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
oh my god i didn't know you were supposed to replace those every/other oil change lmao i never once changed it on my old car and never had any oil leaks. the only time i ever replaced it was when it occasionally got lost in the oil catch pan lmao

amsoil signature master race reporting in lol so yeah that's a big fat no, the oil nor the filters you buy from them come with crush washers (including the Wix filters)

https://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Compatible-Toyota-Scion-Part/dp/B0BQLV4XWD/ref=mp_s_a_1_6
I haven't checked to see if it would work on our Honda motors.. maybe someone can chime in. I did buy a titanium magnetic plug for the oil pan. So if I remember I can check tonight.

jpooah1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S Apex Blue
I do my own oil changes and I prefer my fumoto valve for the ease and I don’t have to worry about the crush washer or over torquing the drain bolt. fumoto f106 m14 makes it faster for me. I will take pics when I reach the miles to change it.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra

The crush washer (like the name implies) gets crushed over time. So it thins out, so to compensate, & to avoid oil leaks, you torque it down more each time it’s reused since it’s thinner. Essentially you begin to over-torque it to compensate for the thin crush washer. Will it damage anything most likely not but you do run the risk of destroying the threads. Never seen it happen personally, but have heard it happening. Especially since the pan is aluminum. 30 ft-lbs is the torque spec on the drain plug

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bought an oil filter yesterday at an Acura dealership in Ontario Canada. Washer was 60 cents CAD.
What's the Honda/Acura part number? I couldn't find it looking through the diagrams on Dreamshop.