• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DAE get little rocks stuck between rotor and brake shield?

Kalidas

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S 2024
this has nothing to do with brembo rotors; as has been mentioned countless times now, lots of cars get this. i'm not a brake engineer but there's almost certainly a deliberate design reason for this gap, and small rocks getting lodged in there from sticky summer tires is unfortunate collateral.

and what is being fixed under warranty? is the dealership just removing the rocks for them? are they fixing damage done to the face of the rotor from the rock scraping it? are they messing with the shield to make the gap smaller? i can tell you from dealing with my own local dealership if i took my ITS to them because of a rock in the rotor shield, they would 100% charge for me it
Mine didn’t charge. When a car is under warranty and making a noise, they have to look at it and fix it whether it’s a stone or something else because the customer doesn’t know it’s a stone. I cannot know it’s a rock in the rotor and they did say that they adjusted the gap and they were clear they’ll fix it whenever it happens.
Stones get into calipers - yes I get it but it’s VERY RARE for that to happen.
It’s a design problem if the occurrences don’t make sense statistically. Nobody I know (family and friends) and none of my other cars ever had this issue, so my take is that if this is occurring again and again with integras then it’s a design flaw, and a major one.
And I am an engineer, these kind of “unfortunate collaterals” every few thousand miles are unacceptable in engineering design.
I mean, off-roading vehicles have disc brakes and calipers!

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
Mine didn’t charge. When a car is under warranty and making a noise, they have to look at it and fix it whether it’s a stone or something else because the customer doesn’t know it’s a stone. I cannot know it’s a rock in the rotor and they did say that they adjusted the gap and they were clear they’ll fix it whenever it happens.
Stones get into calipers - yes I get it but it’s VERY RARE for that to happen.
It’s a design problem if the occurrences don’t make sense statistically. Nobody I know (family and friends) and none of my other cars ever had this issue, so my take is that if this is occurring again and again with integras then it’s a design flaw, and a major one.
And I am an engineer, these kind of “unfortunate collaterals” every few thousand miles are unacceptable in engineering design.
I mean, off-roading vehicles have disc brakes and calipers!
you say it's rare for this to happen in a forum post 5 pages deep of people explaining they've gotten this on their integras as well as other cars they've driven.

this problem isn't rare, nor is it isolated to just our integras or hondas in general. this has been happening to cars running sticky summer tires for 10+ years before the ITS even hit the concept stage.

i'm not trying to dissuade you from doing anything, but i feel like you have a better chance of designing your own rotors and selling them to the automotive world than you do of convincing honda or any other manufacturer that the rotors they've been putting on every model of every car they've sold in the last 15 years is defective and warranting a recall because they sometimes get rocks kicked up into them from ultra performance tires

Kalidas

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S 2024
you say it's rare for this to happen in a forum post 5 pages deep of people explaining they've gotten this on their integras as well as other cars they've driven.

this problem isn't rare, nor is it isolated to just our integras or hondas in general. this has been happening to cars running sticky summer tires for 10+ years before the ITS even hit the concept stage.

i'm not trying to dissuade you from doing anything, but i feel like you have a better chance of designing your own rotors and selling them to the automotive world than you do of convincing honda or any other manufacturer that the rotors they've been putting on every model of every car they've sold in the last 15 years is defective and warranting a recall because they sometimes get rocks kicked up into them from ultra performance tires
I have driven s2000 on sticky tires for over 10 years/100K miles without this happening ONCE!
And with the ITS it happened at 120 miles and again at 180 miles on the odo
If stones in rotors were that common won’t be be hearing some car or the other screeching all the time? Specially where I am, A LOT of low cars on the road with summer rubber and no screeching.
Internet as a place for validation is wrong. If you google for something, internet will throw a million pages at you. If you search for tarot cards, the internet can convince you that a majority of people believe in tarot cards.
Stones in brake calipers is extremely low probability event - if your integra has it as mine does, just write to the company. It’s a recall issue. I got my car back on Friday and it’s again on a truck on its way to the dealership with a stone in its calipers perhaps. Probabilistically it’s a miracle. And since miracles don’t happen, this is a design flaw.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
lol the internet is fine for validation; you can't just dismiss it because you don't like that the results refute the claim you're making. do you want to know why google would return millions of results to you about something you search for? when the thing you search for is something that commonly happens to a large demographic of people.

I did a google search for "rocks stuck in rotors" (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=rocks+stuck+in+rotors) just to prove this point. Look at the variety of results as well as their timestamps. Picking out *just forum posts* one of the first results is from the Subaru forums from 2012. The Corvette forums from 2022. The Jeep Renegade forums from 2016. Bimmer forums from 2021. Honda Fit forums from 2013. CivicX from 2020. Toyota MkV Supra forums from 2022. VW forums from 2015. CivicXI from 2023. Honda Ridgeline forums from 2017. Alpha Romero forums from 2022. Mazda3 forums from 2010. and it goes on and on and on.

For the last time, this isn't a rare thing that only started happening to our cars, people have been documenting this for well over a decade now. I get that this hasn't happened to you before now, and obviously lots of people drive their cars and never get this, but your own personal anecdote doesn't supercede how common and far back this phenomemon goes. You've gotten unlucky with your ITS and you obviously live somewhere where there's lots of rocks and debris in your roads. I myself used to get this a couple of times a year until i moved last year and i haven't had it happen a single time yet (knock on wood of course). when it happens to me i doubt i would even bother the dealership, they usually dislodge themselves from a bit of driving (which you can help expedite by going in and out of reverse).

i'm not trying to be needlessly confrontational or argumentative, i'm just surprised by your reaction. Let us know what honda thinks about this when you bring this up to their attention.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
@ kalidas- wow. never had one on the caliper before. (knock on wood) Are you checking behind the brake rotor? Between the rotor and the shield? should be super easy to remove. Not arguing that the ITS is catching more than it's fair share of rocks, it's just usually an easy fix. Best of luck.

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring. 4 days and 600 miles later, I've had 4 separate occasions where a pebble got lodged between the shield and rotor

I've resorted to carrying a tub o towels in the car to wipe the brake dust off my hands.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Ha, true on the brake dust. Maybe we can get a stubby screwdriver to just stick behind the rotor to give a gently pry to the heat shield. Oh, we can get latex gloves and keep in the car too. disposable solution to keeping hands clean during the rock removal surgery.

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring. 4 days and 600 miles later, I've had 4 separate occasions where a pebble got lodged between the shield and rotor

I've resorted to carrying a tub o towels in the car to wipe the brake dust off my hands.
Any trick to getting them out by hand ? Was thinking some kind of string to get between there but I have no clue

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
Any trick to getting them out by hand ? Was thinking some kind of string to get between there but I have no clue
All I really could do was push the shield back without trying to bend it (it has some springiness to it) in hopes of dislodging the pebble. The ones that get caught in the lower half just come right out as gravity does its thing. The ones that get caught in upper half just sink deeper towards the center. You're angrily praying that it doesn't get worse at that point and that it comes loose.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
It's a bit of a hassle, but if you jack up the corner, take off the wheel, you can easily get to all sides. A normal screwdriver should be able to get to it. The shield is pretty flexible. That's all a dealer is doing. I guess if you have no access to a jack then it's a hassle, but you could take it to any auto mechanic and they can do it in 5 minutes.