• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Coolant temp sensor real?

Coolyellowcar

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' Type S (TEP), 96' Miata, 95' Spec Miata
Since I’ve been driving the type s it has always been at 4 ticks on the coolant temp gauge, even on 90+ days. I’m just wondering if it is a real temp gauge or a dummy gauge like the oem temp gauge in my Miata’s, cause those gauges don’t tell you shit till you’re already overheating. I do understand this car is like 30 years newer that’s my Miata’s, but I was mainly just wondering since the temp gauge never goes above 4 ticks while driving.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
4 ticks is operating temperature which is around 200°F + or - 10°F. If it’s not increasing that is because the cooling system is doings its job correctly lol. You won’t see another tick I believe it’s when you’re at or above 220°. Thermostat fully opens at 194°

OP
OP
Coolyellowcar

Coolyellowcar

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Glad to see it’s a real gauge and not anything like a dummy gauge from the 90’s

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I think 4 ticks is in the 175 range also. JB4 reads coolant temp and even at the track I was staying under or around 180 F. Granted I'm not an expert driver and don't push the car to it's limits, but still not bad.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I think 4 ticks is in the 175 range also. JB4 reads coolant temp and even at the track I was staying under or around 180 F. Granted I'm not an expert driver and don't push the car to it's limits, but still not bad.
Yeah, if you watch an FL5 vid, you can see oil and coolant both have to hit (what I believe is) 170 before it goes from 3 ticks to 4.

norsairius

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
Yeah, if you watch an FL5 vid, you can see oil and coolant both have to hit (what I believe is) 170 before it goes from 3 ticks to 4.
Oil and coolant? That's interesting... I was spoiled by BMW as the last one I had featured a dedicated oil temp gauge so I could know when the engine and fluids were fully up to temp.

If the Integra's gauge only hits 4 bars after coolant and oil are up to 170F+ then that makes me feel better about stretching the cars legs a bit more once that fourth bar appears since coolant will typically warm up more quickly than oil.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Oil and coolant? That's interesting... I was spoiled by BMW as the last one I had featured a dedicated oil temp gauge so I could know when the engine and fluids were fully up to temp.

If the Integra's gauge only hits 4 bars after coolant and oil are up to 170F+ then that makes me feel better about stretching the cars legs a bit more once that fourth bar appears since coolant will typically warm up more quickly than oil.
I believe so... this is the "note" I kept in my head after watching an FL5 vid where the driver had the car in +R (so they have dedicated oil and coolant readouts in addition to the gauge).

I think the real question is... at one point does the gauge jump to 5?

OP
OP
Coolyellowcar

Coolyellowcar

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does the type s have the oil temp gauge as well that is just not used in the software or is the k20 that they make in the acura plant not given one at all and just given a block off plate or something?

Needs3Pedals

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘06 Accord V6 6MT; ‘17 Frontier Pro4X 6MT; ‘24 ITS
Does the type s have the oil temp gauge as well that is just not used in the software or is the k20 that they make in the acura plant not given one at all and just given a block off plate or something?
I believe the FL5 oil temp is estimated and not based on an actual sensor.

OP
OP
Coolyellowcar

Coolyellowcar

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That’s weird. I would think it would be a real sensor since the type r is meant to be the more real race car car, but I guess that is one way to keep the cost down.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
That’s weird. I would think it would be a real sensor since the type r is meant to be the more real race car car, but I guess that is one way to keep the cost down.
It's marketed as "track capable" -- and let's be clear: it is -- but, it's not a race car or a track car. It's a street car, with a very capable suspension design, performance tires, and big brakes (plus track inspired seats and a small wing). The cooling design, with all its parallel loops and priority on bringing the car up to temp over keeping it cool, is clear evidence of this. The calculated temps are, too.

I'm not hating on this platform; I think it's great, and it's awesome that it is track capable out of the box. Honda knows 99% of buyers won't track (or, if they do, that they won't have the capabilities to really push it), but that the "trackable" element is a big selling point, and they feed the hype train accordingly. At the end of the day, it's built as a street car first, with the bare minimum concessions for track capability made after.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Agreed on the FL5 oil temp sensor Just an estimate.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
It's marketed as "track capable" -- and let's be clear: it is -- but, it's not a race car or a track car. It's a street car, with a very capable suspension design, performance tires, and big brakes (plus track inspired seats and a small wing). The cooling design, with all its parallel loops and priority on bringing the car up to temp over keeping it cool, is clear evidence of this. The calculated temps are, too.

I'm not hating on this platform; I think it's great, and it's awesome that it is track capable out of the box. Honda knows 99% of buyers won't track (or, if they do, that they won't have the capabilities to really push it), but that the "trackable" element is a big selling point, and they feed the hype train accordingly. At the end of the day, it's built as a street car first, with the bare minimum concessions for track capability made after.
100% agreed, and I'll also go ahead and state the obvious that it all by proxy applies to our cars as well.

It is a fun and capable car on track, but it is not a purpose built track car out of the box.

As for the cooling, so far no one has really reported any serious concerns over cooling on track, and people have had this car on track pretty extensively. I've had my car on track and had zero issues, but it was a pretty light track effort all things considered- but also that being said I had an absolute blast and validated my use case for the car, which is light track use/autocross.

Follow @Zygrene on YouTube for the absolute best dedicated overall content for the Integra Type S, with an emphasis on track use. In his latest video he does mention something about the coolant finally "going above 4 ticks" while on track and also notes that it hasn't even gotten as hot as it's going to get yet. But also note that he absolutely rips that car on track- most of us at full tilt are probably still only around 7-8/10ths of what he's putting the car through so my takeaway from this is that I can probably be just fine with my intended use for the car without having to go down the coolant upgrade rabbit hole.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
100% agreed, and I'll also go ahead and state the obvious that it all by proxy applies to our cars as well.

It is a fun and capable car on track, but it is not a purpose built track car out of the box.

As for the cooling, so far no one has really reported any serious concerns over cooling on track, and people have had this car on track pretty extensively. I've had my car on track and had zero issues, but it was a pretty light track effort all things considered- but also that being said I had an absolute blast and validated my use case for the car, which is light track use/autocross.

Follow @Zygrene on YouTube for the absolute best dedicated overall content for the Integra Type S, with an emphasis on track use. In his latest video he does mention something about the coolant finally "going above 4 ticks" while on track and also notes that it hasn't even gotten as hot as it's going to get yet. But also note that he absolutely rips that car on track- most of us at full tilt are probably still only around 7-8/10ths of what he's putting the car through so my takeaway from this is that I can probably be just fine with my intended use for the car without having to go down the coolant upgrade rabbit hole.
Yep -- another shout out to Zygrene -- great ITS content, and great car content in general. Seems he always has the opportunity to drive some awesome cars (that 996 / 997 comparison 😮 ). I really enjoy his content.