• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Clutch in to start. - Question.

IntegraSpeed

First Name
Jools
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
So i'm currently in Europe visiting family and in a rental. All rentals out here are manual. Its very refreshing to not have to push in the clutch every time you start the car. I know it seems such a minor thing, but it really is refreshing to not have to do ! so much so that i'd love to mod my Type S, to be the same. Has anyone done this mod before ? Not sure on the triggering mechanism to make sure you've pushed the clutch in to start the engine.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I don't find that to be a big deal and it's the safest way to make sure the car isn't in gear when you start it. Now the big question do they offer remote starts with their manual transmission vehicles.. my guess no because of emissions. This is the feature I would love to have.

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
This is one of those topics that spins off into debate between safety and convenience. I am sure you can easily bypass the clutch switch as I did in my 5th gen civic. However, what I don’t know but would recommend is tying into the sensor that detects gear with a relay so it won’t start without the clutch in if it is in gear. Not sure how.

NoVA_Teggy

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS, 2023 MDX Adv
This is one of those topics that spins off into debate between safety and convenience. I am sure you can easily bypass the clutch switch as I did in my 5th gen civic. However, what I don’t know but would recommend is tying into the sensor that detects gear with a relay so it won’t start without the clutch in if it is in gear. Not sure how.
I thought about this story when I read your post.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I thought about this story when I read your post.
😂 Luckily the remote start kits I have seen require a special pedal dance to enable the remote start option.
Unfortunately the TypeR and TypeS are excluded from the compatibility list for now.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Why stop there, go full Dukes of Hazzard and start off in gear, full throttle or don't bother. I had my share of jump scares when I was younger so now I always go neutral, clutch, and brake before the key. It is a little annoying when I'm in a hurry and my first button press doesn't work.

Last edited:

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
To each their own preference but I've been driving with the clutch in starter for 11 years now and it becomes second nature, I don't even think about it, so much so that if I hop into my wife's car and I'm not paying attention, I've kicked the left part of the firewall trying to start the car.

IMHO, consider it a temporary nuisance that you will get used to and it'll save the car from jumping forwards on start when you need it most.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
To each their own preference but I've been driving with the clutch in starter for 11 years now and it becomes second nature, I don't even think about it, so much so that if I hop into my wife's car and I'm not paying attention, I've kicked the left part of the firewall trying to start the car.

IMHO, consider it a temporary nuisance that you will get used to and it'll save the car from jumping forwards on start when you need it most.
Clutching in to me is part and parcel of starting a manual car, much like jiggling the shifter beforehand.

FredS2000

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024Tiger Eye Integra Type-S, 2003 S2000, '99 SVTL
This car is similar to my former '17 6-6 Accord, just clutch in, and start.

My sister had an '18 Sport Accord 6mt, clutch in, park brake must be set and the brake pedal depressed to start.

On my '03 S2000, I disabled a troublesome clutch switch, I have to keep in mind to shift to neutral before starting it. It sits a lot, so I don't want to wipe the thrust bearing starting it dry.

OP
OP
IntegraSpeed

IntegraSpeed

First Name
Jools
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
oh I am used to it, i refuse to buy an automatic as my daily. I've been living in the US for 20yrs pressing the damn clutch in every time i start the car, and for the 20yrs of driving prior to that, in Europe, not having to do so. This week, after getting off the plane in Barcelona, jumped into my rental, and immediately my muscle memory kicked in and i didn't push the clutch in.... i'm telling you its refreshing. and if there's an easy way to disable it i would !

As always the righteous net nannies always feel the need to chime in, with their stories and how much danger we're all in, if we don't follow protocol. Yet somehow the entire continent of Europe somehow manages??????????? who for sure has a much much much higher amount of manuals on the road.

anyway point being don't knock it til you try it !

Needs3Pedals

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘06 Accord V6 6MT; ‘17 Frontier Pro4X 6MT; ‘24 ITS
So i'm currently in Europe visiting family and in a rental. All rentals out here are manual. Its very refreshing to not have to push in the clutch every time you start the car. I know it seems such a minor thing, but it really is refreshing to not have to do ! so much so that i'd love to mod my Type S, to be the same. Has anyone done this mod before ? Not sure on the triggering mechanism to make sure you've pushed the clutch in to start the engine.
My 2017 Nissan Frontier has a “Clutch Start Cancel” button that allows it to be cranked without putting the clutch on the floor.

To be honest I really don’t understand its purpose. I suppose if the engine was disabled you could use this button and crank it in gear to have the starter try and move the car out of harm’s way. Maybe in a real dicey 4-wheeling situation you could crank it in gear so there is assurance that you won’t roll back (or forward) even a micron.

Edit: It appears it is for wheeling situations:
IMG_1512.jpeg

I had a work buddy that disabled his clutch switch to allow remote start in his 7th gen accord V6 6MT. He just had to be real careful that he left it in neutral (and the parking brake was on and strong).

This has never had any appeal to me. I’ll just keep using the clutch to start my vehicles.

Last edited:

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
oh I am used to it, i refuse to buy an automatic as my daily. I've been living in the US for 20yrs pressing the damn clutch in every time i start the car, and for the 20yrs of driving prior to that, in Europe, not having to do so. This week, after getting off the plane in Barcelona, jumped into my rental, and immediately my muscle memory kicked in and i didn't push the clutch in.... i'm telling you its refreshing. and if there's an easy way to disable it i would !

As always the righteous net nannies always feel the need to chime in, with their stories and how much danger we're all in, if we don't follow protocol. Yet somehow the entire continent of Europe somehow manages??????????? who for sure has a much much much higher amount of manuals on the road.

anyway point being don't knock it til you try it !
I have tried it while in Europe for business and it's nothing special. If anything, even if I had the feature, I wouldn't really make use of it as I typically also use the clutch in on start to throw it into reverse to back out of the garage and if I'm parked outdoors, I clutch in to put it into neutral, while I wait the initial 10-30 seconds for the idle RPM to drop from 1.5k to 1.2k before I take off.

If anything I'm more bothered by the fact that I need to scroll through the menues to turn off the forward collision warning every time I start the car, or even more frustrating, that I can't fully turn off the traction control with the button (even in Sport+ mode), that I have to do the pedal dance for that ability. Those are nanny systems worth mentioning.

So like I said in my original post, to each their own preference. I don't fault you for preferring no clutch starts but do understand that from my point of view, where it literally take less than a second to do, I (as well as others here) seem to think the headache of modding it is simply not worth it. It has nothing to do with the "Won't someone think of the children" thought process.

If you do do it, best of luck, I'd still be interested to know how it goes and I'm sure others who are of the same preference as you would appreciate your feedback too.