• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Clutch Damper Delete

wontondon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5, MK7 GTI
Has anyone had experience replacing the clutch damper in the DE5? Finding the clutch to be slightly vague at times, and perhaps this will help offer an extra bit of feeling "connected" to the car.

Sirimoto Clutch Damper Bypass

If anyone has previous experience with this type of item, would appreciate feedback on the results and installation process.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Has anyone had experience replacing the clutch damper in the DE5? Finding the clutch to be slightly vague at times, and perhaps this will help offer an extra bit of feeling "connected" to the car.

Sirimoto Clutch Damper Bypass

If anyone has previous experience with this type of item, would appreciate feedback on the results and installation process.
I was curious about this. But didn’t see if it’s compatible with the DE5. I dont have an issue with the stock clutch, albeit got a lot softer after 2k miles. i wonder if thats because its fully broken in now. i do want a harder clutch and would consider the FK400 full face clutch later on

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Might also be a good thing to remove the delay valve in the slave cylinder while at it.

Really thinking about doing both on the ITS. Must persuade wife first...

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Might also be a good thing to remove the delay valve in the slave cylinder while at it.

Really thinking about doing both on the ITS. Must persuade wife first...
If there’s any confirmation these upgrades won’t harm the car in any way, I will do it

RamVA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beat, Acty, Prelude, CBR1kRR, ITS, Motocompacto
If there’s any confirmation these upgrades won’t harm the car in any way, I will do it
I won't assert that I can confirm, but generally speaking these dampers increase clutch wear as they allow a bit more slip than without. So removing it could be a help. TBH I'm guessing it makes little difference in practice. It's a common mod on BMWs and it does make them better/easier to drive. The only downside I can think of is a little more driveline lash if you're clumsy with the clutch. It may not be to everyone's preference, and I have not tried it on the Acura, but it's relatively low risk as long as the clutch is properly bled after install.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Semimanual Or manual? Your choice.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think the damper and delay valve are there to protect the car, so people won't be able to dump the clutch.

So, if driven normally and no clutch dump, I don't see why it would harm the car.

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
I've done this mod to both my Accord and M2C with no ill effects.

The Accord had 196k miles on the original clutch (130k of those were my own miles) and the M2C has no signs of damage. Though admittedly it's still too early to tell.

As mentioned, the mod is to restore directness with the clutch control and engagement. With or without the valve, if damage is done, it's really on the driver. I figured you'd need to REALLY abuse the car to do any damage.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
I think the damper and delay valve are there to protect the car, so people won't be able to dump the clutch.

So, if driven normally and no clutch dump, I don't see why it would harm the car.
I've done this mod to both my Accord and M2C with no ill effects.

The Accord had 196k miles on the original clutch (130k of those were my own miles) and the M2C has no signs of damage. Though admittedly it's still too early to tell.

As mentioned, the mod is to restore directness with the clutch control and engagement. With or without the valve, if damage is done, it's really on the driver. I figured you'd need to REALLY abuse the car to do any damage.
so if I’m understanding this correctly the clutch damper just slows down engagement of the clutch to reduce shock load and drive line when dumping the clutch. When we take our foot off the clutch pedal the return flood slightly impedes engagement? Don’t the torsion springs in clutch disk do the exact same thing?

so by deleting damper would we get a more direct feel? But I’m concerned of any vibrations transmitted back to the foot. Also, does it raise the engagement or bite point at all? I like a lower bite point as the ITS is already a little high.

I’m not in the business of dumping the clutch, I guess I’d just have to warn anyone whom I let drive the ITS. If it’s true the damper wears down the clutch more id really consider this. 196k on one clutch is amazing. Although it’s more a testament to your manual driving abilities than the clutch itself :)

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
Correct, the damper does exactly as your describing. So with the valve in place, even during a moderately aggressive launch (say merging from a stop), you'll get clutch slippage due to the clutch not being fully engaged (despite your foot fully off the pedal). Overall I think you'll be fine. The mod doesn't stiffen up the pedal feel or change the engagement point or anything, it only allows a more consistent "1:1 sensation" in terms of clutch modulation and engagement. Everything else will be the same.

I'd recommend driving for a bit before committing to the mod. Depending on your driving habits, it might not be necessary or noticable.

I'm hoping to get 200k+miles on the original ITS clutch also :)

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Correct, the damper does exactly as your describing. So with the valve in place, even during a moderately aggressive launch (say merging from a stop), you'll get clutch slippage due to the clutch not being fully engaged (despite your foot fully off the pedal). Overall I think you'll be fine. The mod doesn't stiffen up the pedal feel or change the engagement point or anything, it only allows a more consistent "1:1 sensation" in terms of clutch modulation and engagement. Everything else will be the same.

I'd recommend driving for a bit before committing to the mod. Depending on your driving habits, it might not be necessary or noticable.

this makes a lot of sense. I can see it being useful for inexperienced drivers. Although it’s been over a decade since I’ve driven manual, the first 1k miles in the ITS I’ve felt like I turned into a novice not being able to shift smoothly.

when I was parallel parked trying to get myself out of a tight spot the delay was causing me to constantly slip the clutch. Also during daily driving 1st to 2nd gear I was constantly jerky and it felt worse watching my wife’s head bobble as she would give me the dead eye stare. I thought it was just me so I had to compensate with RPM, feathering clutch releases depending on different gear shifts.

for the CTR/ITS is the clutch damper delete a DIY job or do I need to take it in to a shop? Prefer to do it myself if the process isn’t rigorous

OP
OP
wontondon

wontondon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5, MK7 GTI

This sounds fantastic. It's exactly what I'm looking for regarding input from the clutch.

Hopefully there are no further valves within the master/slave cylinders.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
This sounds fantastic. It's exactly what I'm looking for regarding input from the clutch.

Hopefully there are no further valves within the master/slave cylinders.
I think previous cars had issues where if you dumped the clutch the pedal travel would come up noticeably slower. I don’t think that’s the case with the ITS.

however after this mod if there are any pedal vibrations I may go with a braided clutch line to eliminate that, if it works that is lol

OP
OP
wontondon

wontondon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5, MK7 GTI
I think previous cars had issues where if you dumped the clutch the pedal travel would come up noticeably slower. I don’t think that’s the case with the ITS.

however after this mod if there are any pedal vibrations I may go with a braided clutch line to eliminate that, if it works that is lol
Hoping this mod would result in a more pronounced engagement point. The speed at which the pedal comes up is not an issue imo. It certainly rebounds quicker than my mk7 GTI.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping this mod would result in a more pronounced engagement point. The speed at which the pedal comes up is not an issue imo. It certainly rebounds quicker than my mk7 GTI.
Could be a problem with colder temperatures as the fluid will get thicker. We'll know soon enough...