• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Clutch Smell

Yato

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Soon
Hey guys,

I have driven many manual cars over my life, but I’ve never had a brand new one. I’ve put around 35 miles on my ITS and it seems that every time I park the car in the garage and get out, there’s a faint smell of burning clutch.

is this normal for a new manual car? Or am I just burning the crap out of my clutch as I get used to driving it? I don’t feel like I am…but figured I’d ask.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I noticed this on mine at first. I think things are just breaking in.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Hey guys,

I have driven many manual cars over my life, but I’ve never had a brand new one. I’ve put around 35 miles on my ITS and it seems that every time I park the car in the garage and get out, there’s a faint smell of burning clutch.

is this normal for a new manual car? Or am I just burning the crap out of my clutch as I get used to driving it? I don’t feel like I am…but figured I’d ask.
I remember smelling it one time. But clutches need proper break in. Some of the performance clutches need 600 mile break ins but it’ll get smoother as you drive. Depending on driving techniques some clutches develop a glaze, but eventually that melts away

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Are you sure it's the clutch? New cars have lots of smells as manufacturing oils burn off and plastics thermally cycle. It's most likely the exhaust as I had a similar smell in my FL5 that went away within a few hundred miles.

bisquick

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS, '19 LSM RDX A-Spec
Experienced the same with my ITS for the first 150 miles or so. I agree with others that it's smells due to the break in process.

OP
OP
Yato

Yato

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Soon
Yeah so, just to update this thread Incase other people stumble upon it with the same issue:

I’m at 150 miles now and the smell has mostly gone away. I also realized it was coming from the exhaust primarily. I noticed the smell seemed stronger in the rear when getting out one day, bent down and sure enough, that was it. Smelled incredibly similar to a burning clutch.

Grelco

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
I believe it's a coating on the exhaust from the manufacturing process, and don't worry it will go away. It's not the clutch.