• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2024 Acura Integra type S sub replacement

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
I replaced the factory sub with a 8 inch Rockford Fosgate. I had to do a couple of modifications I took some pictures to help anyone who wants to do the same. I had to use a a 1 inch longer screw because the speaker was thicker around the edge. My speaker choice was between this Rockford Fosgate and a JL audio. I chose the Rockford Fosgate just because the dimensions and the sensitivity and wattage looked like it would work better with the factory amp. Overall I would say it’s about a 30 or 40% improvement over the stock speaker however With the time that I took to put it in and the money I spent I wouldn’t go through it again. I would go to an audio shop and get a 10 or 12 inch sub and a better amp but regardless here we are and I’m happy with it. It sounds great. It took longer than expected to get it put in with the modifications and such and the Texas heatdidn’t make things any easier. I hope you enjoy the pictures. Let me know if you have any questions. You have to begin by removing the trim along the top edge where that light is. Then just move your way along to the back of the car and remove that long piece of plastic that’s covering the back wheel Well. You should be able to see in the pictures everything I took out. I had also originally removed the screen that covers the speaker itself and it was a pain. You do not need to do that. I thought that there would be some screws behind there that I would get to. That would help me remove the speaker, but you have to take the trim off.

IMG_4896.jpeg

IMG_4897.jpeg

IMG_4898.jpeg

IMG_4899.jpeg

IMG_4900.jpeg

IMG_4901.jpeg

IMG_4902.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

IMG_4916.jpeg

IMG_4919.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If a mod could move this thread to the interior area i would appreciate it.

Also i wanted to add, be careful when putting the trim back, take care to not smash those little green anchors.
I also had to trim the bottom of that speaker so it would fit flush. It wasn't too difficult.
I also taped up a bunch of holes that were in the chassis and i made a big difference in road noise coming from the back. I usually don't notice much road noise because i have the radio turned up.

Last edited:

RCX

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 FK8 -> 2023 GR Corolla -> 2024 Integra Type S
What is the size of the stock sub?

I find the base to be a little too 'muddy'. Had a 10" in a box with separate amp in my FK8. Base was very crisp, looking to upgrade ITS but would be nice to NOT have a big wooden box bolted in to the hatch.

Baozzer

First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech 6MT
Build Thread
Link
this is awesome great job

Baozzer

First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech 6MT
Build Thread
Link
to me the route you went is ideal because it maintains your trunk space and doesn't sacrifice your option for spare tire

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What is the size of the stock sub?

I find the base to be a little too 'muddy'. Had a 10" in a box with separate amp in my FK8. Base was very crisp, looking to upgrade ITS but would be nice to NOT have a big wooden box bolted in to the hatch.
The Stock sub is 8 inch and only weights 29oz, and the surround material is paper. Where as the RF i installed is about 5lbs and here are the stats. It is not flubby at all, this sub removed the flubbiness i was getting. I listen to 60% rock/metal and the rest just pop/mixed with rap or even jazz and classical.
If a person want's to take the time to do it themselves it's worth it. Just for me during this heat wave i would have waited. The heat just makes me angry.....

Just keep in mind that whatever sub you go with, you want it to be rated at 2ohm or aat least have a dual voice coil so you can wire it at 2ohms. It's very simple to do and they include instructions.

Here is the link to the sub i installed.
Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-PDxdJ...8gZxPUaZc-TrFd3gIWGwUsoz5w1xBaxRoClZsQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
to me the route you went is ideal because it maintains your trunk space and doesn't sacrifice your option for spare tire
Yea, and that's why i did it myself. it's super easy if you take your time. You will have to trim that speaker box at the top and you will need to either trim the speaker at the bottom or also trim the bottom of the box. The reason i trimmed the speaker at the bottom ( and im referring to the outside plastic piece) is because it's not possible to trim the box at the bottom. If you look at my last pic you can see what i'm talking about.
I used sheet-metal sheers to cut into the speaker and just kept working on it until i got through one edge, then i just used pliars and bent it back and forth until it broke off. You have to be careful not to damage the speaker, i had my daughter hold it for me. You could use a hack saw blade or a grinder as well to cut it off. or a dremel...

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
The Stock sub is 8 inch and only weights 29oz, and the surround material is paper. Where as the RF i installed is about 5lbs and here are the stats. It is not flubby at all, this sub removed the flubbiness i was getting. I listen to 60% rock/metal and the rest just pop/mixed with rap or even jazz and classical.
If a person want's to take the time to do it themselves it's worth it. Just for me during this heat wave i would have waited. The heat just makes me angry.....

Just keep in mind that whatever sub you go with, you want it to be rated at 2ohm or aat least have a dual voice coil so you can wire it at 2ohms. It's very simple to do and they include instructions.

Here is the link to the sub i installed.
Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-PDxdJ...8gZxPUaZc-TrFd3gIWGwUsoz5w1xBaxRoClZsQAvD_BwE
Oh I thought you installed a 12" sub. This link is for an 8"

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The stock box won't hold a 12 in sub, i installed an 8. It's a replacement for the 8 that was already in there.

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hey thanks for catching that, i edited the post....i didn't realize i wrote 12 in sub....that's what i get for using my phone on that first post. I installed an 8

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How deep is the box? I assume we need a shallow sub? Would this sweet JL fit
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13692117/JL-Audio-8W7AE-3.html
Holy shit i wish!!!
The rms of that sub is too much for the amp, it would be a flubby mess. You have to find a sub that's 150 watt or below.
IF you want a JL then look at this one.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13692079/JL-Audio-8W1v3-4.html?tp=111

But keep in mind this JL i pasted is a 4 ohm sub, so you would need a 4ohm resistor to wire it in 2ohm. It's the reason i went with the ROckford. There is some depth there but you would have to measure it. Now also another thing to consider is that wheel well has a ton of space. I do think a 10 or 12 in sub could easily fit in there but you would need to build a custom box. This is where i would take it somewhere to have done'

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
The sub your reference mentions it's a dual 4ohm voice coil. Can you wire this in parallel to drop it to 2 ohms?

Screenshot_20230926-143640.png

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The sub your reference mentions it's a dual 4ohm voice coil. Can you wire this in parallel to drop it to 2 ohms?

Screenshot_20230926-143640.png
Yes, the Rockford Fosgate is the exact one I used

Nivek2slick

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra type s
I'm going the route of adding a 12 inch sub where the spare supposed to be it's made by diamond I believe it literally looks like a spare . Come with built in amp and fits flush under the cargo area so you can keep your space