• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2024 Acura Integra type S sub replacement

RCX

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 FK8 -> 2023 GR Corolla -> 2024 Integra Type S
The Stock sub is 8 inch and only weights 29oz, and the surround material is paper. Where as the RF i installed is about 5lbs and here are the stats. It is not flubby at all, this sub removed the flubbiness i was getting. I listen to 60% rock/metal and the rest just pop/mixed with rap or even jazz and classical.
If a person want's to take the time to do it themselves it's worth it. Just for me during this heat wave i would have waited. The heat just makes me angry.....

Just keep in mind that whatever sub you go with, you want it to be rated at 2ohm or aat least have a dual voice coil so you can wire it at 2ohms. It's very simple to do and they include instructions.

Here is the link to the sub i installed.
Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-PDxdJ...8gZxPUaZc-TrFd3gIWGwUsoz5w1xBaxRoClZsQAvD_BwE
Ya I had thought you installed a 12" too! That's why I asked what size stock one was.

Thanks for the writeup, I think I will go this route. This was a common base upgrade on the FK8 though it need a bit more room for the replacement sub. Nice that this enclosure has enough volume for the speaker. Did you measure the enclosure volume while you had it out?

Being a more efficient speaker does not throw off the ELS balance? Same base volume just more clarity?

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
Ya I had thought you installed a 12" too! That's why I asked what size stock one was.

Thanks for the writeup, I think I will go this route. This was a common base upgrade on the FK8 though it need a bit more room for the replacement sub. Nice that this enclosure has enough volume for the speaker. Did you measure the enclosure volume while you had it out?

Being a more efficient speaker does not throw off the ELS balance? Same base volume just more clarity?
I didn't measure the enclosure because i live in south texas and it's been hot. I knew the speaker would fit because i took it all apart and measured the speaker before i bought the rockford. I stuck my hand inside to get an idea of depth and it's a fair amount but you're not fitting a Dub 7 in there.
Then i did the research on specs of what would work with the stock system. There may be other speakers out there that are better i just didn't want to overthink it.

Now after close to a week the sub sounds even better, i guess it's broken in more. I love it and no regrets at all now going through the install. Just remember that box opening is odd and i'm not sure why they built it that way. So any speaker the top of the box and the bottom of the speaker will need to be trimmed to fit flush. And you will not be able to reuse the stock screws. They are course thread.

and edited to say yes the quality is a lot better than the paper sub i removed. I get some deep bass if the song has it and it's not flubby. I'll post a pic of my settings on the sound eq and what i use on spotify to have it dialed in.

Last edited:

nebur8

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 6
this is awesome. How close is the speaker currently to the grill?

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
this is awesome. How close is the speaker currently to the grill?
There were these foam spacers between the box and the sidewall panel that allow the speaker excursion room to move. I don't see or hear anything odd so it seems to be ok. I think they were about 1.5 -2 inch. The rockford is much tighter and i don't see it moving as much as that stock speaker.

nebur8

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 6
There were these foam spacers between the box and the sidewall panel that allow the speaker excursion room to move. I don't see or hear anything odd so it seems to be ok. I think they were about 1.5 -2 inch. The rockford is much tighter and i don't see it moving as much as that stock speaker.
Thanks! I was wondering if maybe a custom made mounting ring would be easier than needing to trim the box itself. Sounds like it might be a little tight.

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks! I was wondering if maybe a custom made mounting ring would be easier than needing to trim the box itself. Sounds like it might be a little tight.
NO, sadly there's not room for that.

But really with 3 hours of work and that sub you'll be kicking along in no time. I used metal sheers to cut that box though, it's tough plastic.

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech 6MT
Would it be beneficial to add some polyfill (I think that’s what it’s called) to trick it into thinking it’s in a bigger enclosure?

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Would it be beneficial to add some polyfill (I think that’s what it’s called) to trick it into thinking it’s in a bigger enclosure?
Polyfill can help extend bass response, but this depends on the Qts and VAS of the sub itself. I pasted a google explanation below

begin of google search
Qts is calculated as the square root of (Qes^2 + Qms^2).
A low Qts value (typically below 0.4) indicates that the driver is well-damped and suited for use in sealed enclosures. Such drivers produce tight and controlled bass response.
A high Qts value (typically above 0.4) suggests that the driver is less damped and may be better suited for ported or vented enclosures. These drivers can produce deeper bass but may require additional tuning in the enclosure.

Vas represents the equivalent volume of air that, when compressed or expanded, has the same acoustic compliance as the loudspeaker's suspension (spider and surround).
Vas is measured in liters (L) or cubic feet (ft^3) and indicates the driver's stiffness or compliance. A higher Vas value means the suspension is less stiff.
In practical terms, Vas is used to help determine the optimal enclosure volume for a loudspeaker driver in a sealed or vented (ported) cabinet design.
Smaller Vas values typically require smaller enclosure volumes, while larger Vas values require larger enclosure volumes for a given alignment (e.g., sealed or vented).
end of google search

the sub i installed matches the volume of the box, so i think it's as good as it gets for that sub, there might be other subs i don't know about that might be better. I'm a JL audio guy and unfortunately they didn't have one that would work for me.

I like tight bass so polyfill is a no for me, if i wanted more low end rolloff for a boooming type bass then poly might help. yrmv

nebur8

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 6
NO, sadly there's not room for that.

But really with 3 hours of work and that sub you'll be kicking along in no time. I used metal sheers to cut that box though, it's tough plastic.
I like the stock look. I’m going to see if I can get away with a small trim ring without chopping up a speaker and the box. The box is relatively big and deep. Here are some pics of it outside the car.
IMG_2549.jpeg
IMG_2555.jpeg
IMG_2554.jpeg
IMG_2551.jpeg
IMG_2550.jpeg
IMG_2552.jpeg

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like the stock look. I’m going to see if I can get away with a small trim ring without chopping up a speaker and the box. The box is relatively big and deep. Here are some pics of it outside the car.
IMG_2549.jpeg
IMG_2555.jpeg
IMG_2554.jpeg
IMG_2551.jpeg
IMG_2550.jpeg
IMG_2552.jpeg
Thanks for getting all those specs! Mine still has the stock look.

image.jpg

nebur8

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 6
Thanks for getting all those specs! Mine still has the stock look.

image.jpg
Sorry I should have been clearer. I'm going to see if I can put an alpine type-r in there with an aftermarket amp. Thanks for the inspiration!

OP
OP
GravityGears

GravityGears

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alpine makes great subs! Let me know if it fits!

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
Sorry I should have been clearer. I'm going to see if I can put an alpine type-r in there with an aftermarket amp. Thanks for the inspiration!
Are you trying to fit an Alpine R2-W8D4 in there? Keep us posted, would love to do the same, but it appears a tad too deep from your photos.

nebur8

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 6
Are you trying to fit an Alpine R2-W8D4 in there? Keep us posted, would love to do the same, but it appears a tad too deep from your photos.
it’s an older model but it should fit I just don’t want to cut the box. I’m going to see if I can trim a spacer. You can see the difference in depth of the stock vs the type-r. I’ll keep you guys in the loop.

IMG_2559.jpeg
IMG_2561.jpeg
IMG_2560.jpeg

Baozzer

First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech 6MT
Build Thread
Link
man a spacer is a good idea... too late im tackling this tomorrow on my aspec! bought the same sub thanks so much for pioneering this project