• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Type S Transmission Question.

I_Need_NOS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S; 1989 Ford Mustang
So I have had my Type S a little under two weeks. Yesterday I noticed that the car had rolled some from where I had parked it and gone inside. My driveway is slightly sloping, and the car was facing down the slope. I did forget to engage the parking brake, not a normal thing for me, but was rushing to head to the next appointment of the day.

I have since sat in it, car off and parked in first or reverses gears and it will slightly roll down the driveway if the parking brake is not engaged.

I do want to clarify before I get lots of comments about just don’t be dumb and put the brake on, I want to be clear I have no intention of forgetting it after this.

But my main question after many manual cars, where this has never happened, is this normal for this car?

I reached out to my local dealers service team, response was pretty much that it’s fine just use your parking brake.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Quite simply the forces are the balancing of the weight of the car and angle of the slope versus the losses of the transmission and friction of the pistons in the engine.

This is to say if other cars don't roll and the ITS does, the powertrain losses are much less on the ITS than your other cars (given about the same weight), which is a good thing.

But like the dealership said, just use your brakes, that's what they're there for.

OP
OP

I_Need_NOS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Quite simply the forces are the balancing of the weight of the car and angle of the slope versus the losses of the transmission and friction of the pistons in the engine.

This is to say if other cars don't roll and the ITS does, the powertrain losses are much less on the ITS than your other cars (given about the same weight), which is a good thing.

But like the dealership said, just use your brakes, that's what they're there for.
Thank you. I assumed it was probably just what it was. It was a total accident to leave without setting the brake. But probably worth knowing this can happen for the future.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Happened to me one time in my 91 Civic Si, first manual car. Someone told me that with a manual, you can just leave the car in gear...
One day, park on an incline driveway. At one point, someone ringed at the door and told me that there was a car in the middle of the street. My car.

Since then, I always use the parking brake!

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Yep. Had a manual roll out of my driveway which is pretty flat years ago. I always set the parking brake.

OP
OP

I_Need_NOS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks guys. Definitely won’t be making that mistake again

FredS2000

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024Tiger Eye Integra Type-S, 2003 S2000, '99 SVTL
I noticed this too, my driveway is slightly sloped toward my garage. Parked in 2nd, it rolled forward about 4 feet. I guess the lower compression of the turbo engine isn't enough to hold it. My s2000 will hold position in 3rd on the same place in the driveway.

As a side note, never place the car in reverse facing downhill (or a forward gear with the car pointing uphill) with it possibly able to roll in gear. Every K series I've encountered, the timing chain tensioner will retract rolling the engine reverse rotation. There's always a slight chance of the engine jumping time when restarting if that happens.

eric123406109

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2021 RAV4 Prime, 1987 911
I noticed this too, my driveway is slightly sloped toward my garage. Parked in 2nd, it rolled forward about 4 feet. I guess the lower compression of the turbo engine isn't enough to hold it. My s2000 will hold position in 3rd on the same place in the driveway.

As a side note, never place the car in reverse facing downhill (or a forward gear with the car pointing uphill) with it possibly able to roll in gear. Every K series I've encountered, the timing chain tensioner will retract rolling the engine reverse rotation. There's always a slight chance of the engine jumping time when restarting if that happens.
Thanks for this guidance. Throughout most of my driving time (since 1987) - all of the various 4 cylinder engines (in either 1st or R) have had sufficient compression and mechanical leverage to hold a car. (Of course, if you put it in 5th, you lose mechanical leverage). The distinction about using 1 for downhill and R for uphill sounds like prudent guidance.

(I've always been concerned with the brake sticking or having some other reliability issue. Even more so with these electric actuators.