• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Would the Type S Actually Benefit from a Front Strut Bar?

LunaticSM

First Name
Dstyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LSM Integra Type S
I have heard that MacPherson front suspension can benefit from a front strut bar, but I have also heard that modern cars with already stiff chassis don't need them. The Type S has both. Will a front strut bar improve handling or is it purely a cosmetic upgrade for the Type S? Thanks

ckone2030

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2024 BMW M3 Competition
I have heard the same thing, and I think it has been discussed in this board some time ago. I still installed one because I liked how it looked and honestly I could not tell the difference driving it before and after.

Also, I installed the 27Won strut bar and also installed their brake brace. I have to say that the brake brace works really well and it makes the brake pedal a little firmer when pressed so it feels more confident.

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
I have heard that MacPherson front suspension can benefit from a front strut bar, but I have also heard that modern cars with already stiff chassis don't need them. The Type S has both. Will a front strut bar improve handling or is it purely a cosmetic upgrade for the Type S? Thanks
AFAIK functionally the closer a vehicles front struts are located to the cars firewall, the less likely it is to benefit from a front strut bar, due to the rigidity of the firewall.

A rear strut, or front and rear sway bars may be a better performance per dollar investment.

Gregg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP Teg Type S '87 & '88 CRX Si, '96 Civic EX
On the street? No. On track, quite possibly.

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6M
It can't hurt anything, but unlikely to dramatically increase torsional rigidity. I am waiting on my throw-back strut bar from PRL. Going on 5 weeks now and they indicated 4-6 week wait. If it goes past 6, I'm going to cancel the order and survive without a strut bar. :D

OP
OP
LunaticSM

LunaticSM

First Name
Dstyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LSM Integra Type S
It can't hurt anything, but unlikely to dramatically increase torsional rigidity. I am waiting on my throw-back strut bar from PRL. Going on 5 weeks now and they indicated 4-6 week wait. If it goes past 6, I'm going to cancel the order and survive without a strut bar. :D
But your engine bay won't look as cool!

Sounds like there isn't much of a noticeable difference in handling and feel with a strut bar unless someone reports otherwise.

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
But your engine bay won't look as cool!

Sounds like there isn't much of a noticeable difference in handling and feel with a strut bar unless someone reports otherwise.
I will say PRL actually did appear to do some engineering and analysis on the strut bar. See below thread. It was enough to make it worth me ordering it. Again, it certainly won't hurt anything and will add 'some' rigidity.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/prl-motorsports-throwback-strut-tower-bar-development.66016/

OP
OP
LunaticSM

LunaticSM

First Name
Dstyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LSM Integra Type S
I will say PRL actually did appear to do some engineering and analysis on the strut bar. See below thread. It was enough to make it worth me ordering it. Again, it certainly won't hurt anything and will add 'some' rigidity.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/prl-motorsports-throwback-strut-tower-bar-development.66016/
I was thinking of getting the Sirimoto bar just because the carbon fiber looks cool, but if it does nothing then it's just adding weight and blocking the battery removal access and costing money.

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was thinking of getting the Sirimoto bar just because the carbon fiber looks cool, but if it does nothing then it's just adding weight and blocking the battery removal access and costing money.
Pretty much. :)

Tryptones

First Name
Rodel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
I got the PRL STB. It looks cool. No dramatic change in handling, but steering does feel a little more precise. I did install it with spacers (15mm/F 20mm/R) and the PRL Rear Motor Mount. The RMM makes a huge difference. The gear changes are much more smoother.
20240408_190709.jpg

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
I did not notice a big difference on the track with the 27WON strut bar and brake brace as in "that car cut in were it seemed to wobble before" or anything like that.
What I can same with affinity is more support cannot hurt.
I also believe (no backing data) that a strut bar can also extend the life of all directly attached components like upper control arms due to less stress and metal fatigue over time thanks to the added support of the strut bar. but opinions have never changed the stock market with a single tweet.. (or have they LOL)

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
☝🏽 brake brace for sure will make a difference. That’s about all you’ll notice.