• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rev Jump When Upshifting under Hard Acceleration

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
FInally stretching my car's legs after break-in and noticed something peculiar under hard acceleration.

When upshifting 1 ->2 and 2 -> 3 , I noticed the revs jump ~500 rpm in between shifts. I thought maybe I was a little late to take my foot off the throttle but even after being mindful of that, it still jumps up a bit.

I'm finding I have to shift around that so as not to bang on the rev limiter. I been reading around and I've seen mention of rev matching but that doesn't make much sense to me. Also, this phenomenon happens even as I have the rev match feature off.

Is this rev hang? I'm not very familiar with it and never had this experience in any other manual car I've had. Granted, all my other cars have been N/A.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
It's rev hang. You get used to it. I'll let others chime in on the ability to get rid of it with a tune.

Don't worry about banging off the rev limiter; that's what it's there for (but do worry if you "bang off the rev limiter as a result of a missed shift...!).

Fred 930

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
I'm new to modern Japanese cars, but also have noted the exact same problem as you have described. When shifting during aggressive acceleration, the engine will over-rev (they call it rev-hang). I was worried about this, having experienced it once on another Japanese car, and again when test driving an A-Spec. At this point, I'm considering it a "design flaw". Will discuss with the Dealer during first service, but I'm betting the only way to fix it will be some sort of aftermarket tune - which is a bad idea from a warranty standpoint.

Hope someone has a better solution to this very annoying problem.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The only "solution" is to get a tune, because it is an intentional implementation. I stole this image from that linked thread.

1714909365661-k7.png

Yes, it's probably different from most other manual cars out there (but is it really though? My brother's WRX has done this since he bought it in 2015). You can throw a fit about it, or you can get used to it. It isn't hurting anything and some would argue it's actually beneficial. Let it be known I'm not here to make that argument, but if I can get over it, so can the rest of you.

This is a good example of mild psychosis. It's only "annoying" because you let it be.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
It's also part of an emissions thing. Tune removes it

Fred 930

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
I will argue with your about this rev-hang problem. It really is hurting something.

When up-shifting during spirited acceleration, one wants engine RPM to drop a suitable amount to match what is necessary for smooth engagement of the next gear - probably dropping about 500 RPM. But my ITS does the opposite and increases RPM about 500. So when you re-engage the clutch the RPM is about 1000 higher than it should be. Done often, this will cause unnecessary clutch and drive-train wear. Perhaps Honda does it for some emissions related reason, but I've not seen it occur on any German cars.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
It really is annoying. Like I'm not able to shift correctly... I hate it when the car does it.

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I will argue with your about this rev-hang problem. It really is hurting something.

When up-shifting during spirited acceleration, one wants engine RPM to drop a suitable amount to match what is necessary for smooth engagement of the next gear - probably dropping about 500 RPM. But my ITS does the opposite and increases RPM about 500. So when you re-engage the clutch the RPM is about 1000 higher than it should be. Done often, this will cause unnecessary clutch and drive-train wear. Perhaps Honda does it for some emissions related reason, but I've not seen it occur on any German cars.
Personally I don't have this issue to the degree you're describing it. Maybe if you're drag racing?

Have you tried disabling VSA (i.e. the "pedal dance")? Maybe that's causing it? Personally I don't think slamming gears on a race track is the best approach.

See this clip starting here from Savagegeese's on-track review. This is how I try to shift on track, and as you can see there's not an egregious amount of noticeable rev hang.

If it bothers you that much, I'd suggest getting a tune. Otherwise I'm not sure what else you're looking for.