• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Removing the engine block heater

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
I ordered the engine block heater with my car, thinking it was something that you attached and removed yourself as needed- i didn't know that it gets installed onto your car. anyway the way they install it they route it through to the front bumper and where it dangles in front of the turbo intercooler and it looks really sloppy/ugly. there isn't really much you can do about it because there isn't really anywhere better to zip tie it.

anyway, i want to remove it as it doesn't really get cold enough where i live to warrant it, and our cold season will be behind us soon (plus it looks like shit and it's driving me nuts). i would take it off myself but i was told the coolant will drain out so i'm going to need the dealership to do it.

i called them about it, and they told me they aren't sure if they'll be unable to remove it as they have never had to install/remove one on these cars before so they aren't sure how to. can you fucking believe that? i have the plug that gets removed for installation, it threads into the engine block or wherever and gets removed with a 19mm socket. the engine block heater has an electrical cord that connects into a similar threaded plug that looks like it also comes right off with a 19mm socket or wrench.

can someone who can climb under their car send me a picture of exactly where this gets installed? or the tech manual the technicians are supposed to have?

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
I ordered the engine block heater with my car, thinking it was something that you attached and removed yourself as needed- i didn't know that it gets installed onto your car. anyway the way they install it they route it through to the front bumper and where it dangles in front of the turbo intercooler and it looks really sloppy/ugly. there isn't really much you can do about it because there isn't really anywhere better to zip tie it.

anyway, i want to remove it as it doesn't really get cold enough where i live to warrant it, and our cold season will be behind us soon (plus it looks like shit and it's driving me nuts). i would take it off myself but i was told the coolant will drain out so i'm going to need the dealership to do it.

i called them about it, and they told me they aren't sure if they'll be unable to remove it as they have never had to install/remove one on these cars before so they aren't sure how to. can you fucking believe that? i have the plug that gets removed for installation, it threads into the engine block or wherever and gets removed with a 19mm socket. the engine block heater has an electrical cord that connects into a similar threaded plug that looks like it also comes right off with a 19mm socket or wrench.

can someone who can climb under their car send me a picture of exactly where this gets installed? or the tech manual the technicians are supposed to have?
Why not just unclip the plug from the bumper and secure it somewhere hidden in the engine bay. Still there out of sight and if there comes a day you need it, you just need to plug it in

OP
OP
SlippyFist

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
Why not just unclip the plug from the bumper and secure it somewhere hidden in the engine bay. Still there out of sight and if there comes a day you need it, you just need to plug it in
i guess i could, im not sure where its located at in the engine bay to determine where to attach it to; i can't see anything once it comes through the inside of the bumper, and you can't see it looking down from under the hood

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Block heaters usually plug somewhere on the block near the oil pan.

However my suggestion is to keep 80-90% of the routing, just work backwards from the plug sticking out of the bumper. Undo 1 or 2 ties straps and hide it close by at the nearest place that's not visible.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Didn't you make another thread about this?

Remove the front bumper, and tuck and secure the wire where you don't see it.

Done.

No need to remove the block heater from the engine.

OP
OP
SlippyFist

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
Didn't you make another thread about this?

Remove the front bumper, and tuck and secure the wire where you don't see it.

Done.

No need to remove the block heater from the engine.
no, i brought it up in a different unrelated thread. i dont want to remove the bumper because i dont know how, and i get nervous messing with plastic bullshit. breaks to easy for my liking lol

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
no, i brought it up in a different unrelated thread. i dont want to remove the bumper because i dont know how, and i get nervous messing with plastic bullshit. breaks to easy for my liking lol
It's really not that hard. There are videos here on the forum that show how to do it.

While at it, protect the intercooler and radiator with gutter guards!

OP
OP
SlippyFist

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
It's really not that hard. There are videos here on the forum that show how to do it.

While at it, protect the intercooler and radiator with gutter guards!
can you link to whatever you used? i definitely need to do that.

i talked to the dealership about removing the block heater and they said it would probably be around $500 due to the labor (with them not being sure what to do) and having to refill the coolant, etc. i told them to get fucked lol i ordered some double sided gorilla tape so i'll just leave it on and deal with that myself

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
can you link to whatever you used? i definitely need to do that.

i talked to the dealership about removing the block heater and they said it would probably be around $500 due to the labor (with them not being sure what to do) and having to refill the coolant, etc. i told them to get fucked lol i ordered some double sided gorilla tape so i'll just leave it on and deal with that myself
Something like that: https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/Frost-VX...words=gutter+guard&qid=1706976985&sr=8-9&th=1

OP
OP
SlippyFist

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
is that sturdy enough to withstand rock impacts? from what i've seen that stuff is pretty flimsy as it only needs to keep leaves and twigs from going in your gutter.

i also realized that the cord for the block heater actually plugs into the plug that screws into the engine block, so i might just leave the engine block heat plug in and remove the cord until i need it. i can't really tell because our cars have that shield underneath that covers up the where the oil drain and everything is; i haven't actually been under the car to see what it looks like yet

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
is that sturdy enough to withstand rock impacts? from what i've seen that stuff is pretty flimsy as it only needs to keep leaves and twigs from going in your gutter.

i also realized that the cord for the block heater actually plugs into the plug that screws into the engine block, so i might just leave the engine block heat plug in and remove the cord until i need it. i can't really tell because our cars have that shield underneath that covers up the where the oil drain and everything is; i haven't actually been under the car to see what it looks like yet
Had that gutter guard on 2 other cars and nothing has never made it's way through leaving a hole in it. So yeah, it is sturdy enough.

I did talk about removing the cord from the bock heater as I don't know how the ITS block heater is setup. On my old Accord, I could in fact remove the cord from the block heater (had to replace it at some point because I broke the plug). So yeah, another way of reaching your goal.