• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Integra Type S driving Styles with Breakin Period

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
Acura has to deal with chuckle heads who redline cold engines and occasionally pop them -> warranty repairs. The language above is not the 11th commandment. It a round number (about 1K Kilometers).

I'm not saying to flog it, but drive it like you would drive it anyway: apply mechanical empathy to all cars, warm it up, and go. Are you going to keep it under 4K all the time? No? then don't be worried about some additional RPM use in the first few hundred miles.

Imagine you get cut off by some tool with MA plates (they still escape to PA unfortunately) and you need to dip into that 300 ft-lbs. Don't be scared. You won't break it. I promise !

While I have not redlined the car, nothing wrong with varying throttle loads in the mid range from 3-6K here and there and backing off. This too is 'breaking it in' if you think it still needs some additional, varied loads.

Plus: its a hoot. Its part of a daily balanced diet.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I bought mine with 4 miles on it so that I could be sure to break it in myself for peace of mind.
What I plan to do is for the first 1k miles keep it under 60 mph, avoid pulls over 4k rpms and no hard braking.
Acura says 600 miles so I will probably follow this until 600 then slowly open it up a little more with every hundred miles more until we get to 1k, then I will change the oil and filter and start driving the car normally.

From Acura.
What Does It Mean To Break-In An Engine
A New Acura engine break-in is important to ensure premium performance and reliability. Typically, an engine break in applies to the first 600 miles. During this time it’s recommended that you do not brake hard during the first 200 miles. Although Acura engine specs showcase impressive horsepower and torque, you also want to avoid hard accelerations and full-throttle starts during the first 600 miles.

The team at our Acura dealer highly recommends avoiding any type of acceleration from a dead stop during the lifetime of your vehicle to ensure that all Acura engine specs are properly maintained. However, we also recommend that drivers avoid pushing the engine to the tachometer’s red line until the vehicle has traveled at least 600 miles.
Keeping it under 60mph is unnecessary and I’m not sure how your roads are out where you’re at but here in Southern California, that would be downright dangerous on the freeways.

The rest I think is sound though, adding that you should vary RPM’s while driving.

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
Under 60mph literally makes no sense at all. As an FYI, 6th gear at 80 mph is right about 3,000 rpm. I get not wanting to redline it with 5 miles, but the rando speed limit is really unnecessary. Get the engine warmed up, drive it like a sane adult, and you will be just fine.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
Keeping it under 60mph is unnecessary and I’m not sure how your roads are out where you’re at but here in Southern California, that would be downright dangerous on the freeways.

The rest I think is sound though, adding that you should vary RPM’s while driving.
Im just going to avoid the highway for 500 miles, I don't need to go on it.
After that, not so much.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
Under 60mph literally makes no sense at all. As an FYI, 6th gear at 80 mph is right about 3,000 rpm. I get not wanting to redline it with 5 miles, but the rando speed limit is really unnecessary. Get the engine warmed up, drive it like a sane adult, and you will be just fine.
Yeah, you are right, it is more about avoiding red line, I thought I had read the speed limits, but the more I think about it, it was a different car make.
I'm just planning to go mild for 600 miles is all, I want to take care so I never second guess myself as far as this motor goes.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
Acura has to deal with chuckle heads who redline cold engines and occasionally pop them -> warranty repairs. The language above is not the 11th commandment. It a round number (about 1K Kilometers).

I'm not saying to flog it, but drive it like you would drive it anyway: apply mechanical empathy to all cars, warm it up, and go. Are you going to keep it under 4K all the time? No? then don't be worried about some additional RPM use in the first few hundred miles.

Imagine you get cut off by some tool with MA plates (they still escape to PA unfortunately) and you need to dip into that 300 ft-lbs. Don't be scared. You won't break it. I promise !

While I have not redlined the car, nothing wrong with varying throttle loads in the mid range from 3-6K here and there and backing off. This too is 'breaking it in' if you think it still needs some additional, varied loads.

Plus: its a hoot. Its part of a daily balanced diet.
Well, I never had a new car with so few miles on it, my dream was to get one like this, and then seat everything by gradually increasing speed, rpms and heat over the course of the first 600 miles is all.
So everything starts off good, I came this far, taking some precautions to me isn't a hassle, it is part of the anticipation of owning this car.
Obviously given the situations on the road will help dictate how I have to drive to avoid collisions or issues with other cars, I am planning to do some country driving for a few weeks is all.

SocalDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 its
I guess me having motorcycles for many years and breaking them in for 600 miles is the procedure I did with my its.
Easy acceleration in comfort mode for 600 miles.

After that, I just drive it like I normally drive on a daily basis. I will change the oil at 2500 miles.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
I guess me having motorcycles for many years and breaking them in for 600 miles is the procedure I did with my its.

After that, I just drive it like I normally drive on a daily basis. I will change the oil at 2500 miles.
I just hit 700 miles and ordered my oil so when I hit 1k I can drop the oil and filter.
What filter does everyone use?
Acura filter from the dealer or aftermarket?

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
I just hit 700 miles and ordered my oil so when I hit 1k I can drop the oil and filter.
What filter does everyone use?
Acura filter from the dealer or aftermarket?
General recommendation is that changing at 1k is unnecessary and at worse, harmful since it isn't circulating certain chems in the initial fill.

There's plenty threads on here with actual oil analysis that suggests going to at minimum 5k is not problematic.

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
Nothing wrong with the OEM Honda filter. It’s your car but as stated 1k is overkill. factory fill has a decent amount of Moly but that’s also in assembly lube. The Honda oil is nothing remarkable Just a decent synthetic.

my plan is 5k ish which should be about 1/2 the maintenance minder interval.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
General recommendation is that changing at 1k is unnecessary and at worse, harmful since it isn't circulating certain chems in the initial fill.

There's plenty threads on here with actual oil analysis that suggests going to at minimum 5k is not problematic.
It is hilarious that you think changing the oil is a bad thing, awesome, thank you.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z

Nice, pretty much how I like to do it too.
I just hit 700 miles so I am now revving to 5k, after 1k miles I will take it to 7k and drop the oil and filter.

egxflash

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
It is hilarious that you think changing the oil is a bad thing, awesome, thank you.
I mean you do you. I’m just sharing what some have shared here. I’m not absolutely convinced the latter is true but I do believe there’s no harm in going to 5k given the oil analysis results people have gotten so far - that’s at least pretty objective data.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I plan to change the oil at 20k miles, then again at 50k. In between will top off as necessary. Today's oils last for at least 3 years, right?