• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Integra Type S driving Styles with Breakin Period

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I wish I could run the G meter on the left side and the boost gauge on the right--I find myself looking more at the boost gauge with amazement when I realize there's a considerably amount of "uumph" even when boost is on the low end.
I definitely wish you could display more at once. Or have a company make a piggyback device that displays what you want digitally. I was going to get a set when I was going to supercharge my old Jeep...but then I sold that & the Trans Am to get this car. 🙃

I'm looking at options now though. Probably easier to add a boost gauge? I may try one of those apps if it works right & display on my phone - if the mount holds, it should work well.

Edit - found this on Mikstore today:

IMG_2231.png

Last edited:

scandorama

First Name
Pär
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pre Order ITS TEP
I really cannot wait for that day. I think I'm going to take a vacation when I get it to wash it & what not & then take another vacation day post break in day - I haven't come up with a good name for this day yet. 😆
Breaking Bad

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
looking more at the boost gauge
What's this? I loved the boost gauge on my Saab, the RDX not as much, but really missing it on my A-Spec. Can you show some pics of how it is integrated into the dash display?

neuronbob

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
99 NSX, 04 S2000, 13 6MT CTS-V wagon
I've been shifting at 4k rpm. 70 miles in the first 24 hours. I am REALLY trying to get through break-in properly. Ugh

OP
OP
BlackCTR

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type Platinum Perlescent White
I've been shifting at 4k rpm. 70 miles in the first 24 hours. I am REALLY trying to get through break-in properly. Ugh
I kept the revs 5k and under for the first 250 miles. Now I'm driving at different speeds and different revs and keeping it under 6k. And the car feels like it's getting faster the more I drive. Has anyone experienced this?

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I kept the revs 5k and under for the first 250 miles. Now I'm driving at different speeds and different revs and keeping it under 6k. And the car feels like it's getting faster the more I drive. Has anyone experienced this?
I'm only around 450 miles, but I do think I know what you mean about the car getting faster--I noticed a considerable improvement after my first fill-up, and I'm fairly certain the dealership might've filled it with something less than 91/93.

OP
OP
BlackCTR

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type Platinum Perlescent White
I'm only around 450 miles, but I do think I know what you mean about the car getting faster--I noticed a considerable improvement after my first fill-up, and I'm fairly certain the dealership might've filled it with something less than 91/93.
I'm wondering the same thing. I specifically asked if they filled the car up with 93. They claimed that they did but I don't believe them.

After I filled up with 93 like 1 day ago I noticed it today. All I run is 93 in my cars.

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
Bumping this thread since I'll be road tripping mine this Saturday around 1200 miles from Columbus, Ohio to Houston. Given it's going to be mostly highway other than a stop at a buddy's place south of Nashville I'll try to vary RPMs the best I can. Change gears more frequently to break up the monotony and keep revs under 5k for the first few hundred miles. I did find this note in the FL5 forums from their owners manual but hadn't seen it mentioned here.

"During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or powertrain. Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km) after purchasing your new vehicle or replacing the brake pads or rotors, to allow for proper break-in."

GTO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 17 BRZ
Bumping this thread since I'll be road tripping mine this Saturday around 1200 miles from Columbus, Ohio to Houston. Given it's going to be mostly highway other than a stop at a buddy's place south of Nashville I'll try to vary RPMs the best I can. Change gears more frequently to break up the monotony and keep revs under 5k for the first few hundred miles. I did find this note in the FL5 forums from their owners manual but hadn't seen it mentioned here.

"During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or powertrain. Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km) after purchasing your new vehicle or replacing the brake pads or rotors, to allow for proper break-in."
Cruising the highway at constant speed for hours is the worst way to break in a new engine.

Typically, the best method for the first 600 miles is to drive normally and avoid hard acceleration and hard braking. Try to keep under 5,000 RPM and drive casually. It's a challenge, especially with this car but proper break in does make a difference and is worth the effort for long term reliability and performance.

Congrats on the LCM/Ebony! It was my first choice as well.

sayonara

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C LE
For years now cars come from the factory broken in. I don't get crazy until 500 or so miles to seat the brakes. No more break in oil like in the old days when i started to drive.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
I'll say 1,000 miles today, and say 1,250 miles when I reach 950--I did the same thing with my '23, but in that case, I was a little afraid of hurting the car. In this case, I have some genuine concerns about the car hurting me.

This car just feels so incredibly capable it's a little unreal. I was counting on the car being fast, but concerned that I'd sacrifice the quick in the A-Spec + Tech. Nope. It's got both.
Come on lets keep it real ITS only has 320 flywheel hp..its quick for what it is

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Come on lets keep it real ITS only has 320 flywheel hp..its quick for what it is
As predicted, I'm at about 900 miles on my FL5, and planning for 1,250 miles under 5,000 RPM--also, still afraid about the car hurting me. I love it nonetheless.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
ive been shifting it... under redline lol. its VERY difficult for me to not drive it the way i want lol

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that while high RPM does induce more stress and heat than a lower RPM, I think it's input force (rate of change) that's more the issue.

So if you slowly brought it up to redline in 2nd gear, it would not be as harsh as going pedal to the floor and short shifting (2->3) at 4-5k rpm.

Lastly don't forget to also do some in gear engine breaking to help vary the type of loads during break-in. I know some people's driving style is to clutch in early when coming to a stop.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
I bought mine with 4 miles on it so that I could be sure to break it in myself for peace of mind.
What I plan to do is for the first 1k miles keep it under 60 mph, avoid pulls over 4k rpms and no hard braking.
Acura says 600 miles so I will probably follow this until 600 then slowly open it up a little more with every hundred miles more until we get to 1k, then I will change the oil and filter and start driving the car normally.

From Acura.
What Does It Mean To Break-In An Engine
A New Acura engine break-in is important to ensure premium performance and reliability. Typically, an engine break in applies to the first 600 miles. During this time it’s recommended that you do not brake hard during the first 200 miles. Although Acura engine specs showcase impressive horsepower and torque, you also want to avoid hard accelerations and full-throttle starts during the first 600 miles.

The team at our Acura dealer highly recommends avoiding any type of acceleration from a dead stop during the lifetime of your vehicle to ensure that all Acura engine specs are properly maintained. However, we also recommend that drivers avoid pushing the engine to the tachometer’s red line until the vehicle has traveled at least 600 miles.

Last edited: