• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Help me decide, White Acura TLX PMC or Integra Type S?

MJourney

First Name
Suu-Va
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 328i
My BMW is over 10 years old now and while it still runs fine, it’s due for some engine checks and fixes. Rather than put a few K into a car that is worth less than 8k KBB, I am looking to trade it in for something new. Seeing the integra being revived peaked my interest and so has the TLX. The base Integra doesn’t have the power I want but the Type S looks like it might have the goods. My last car before the BMW, which is automatic, was a stick 350z. Sometimes I miss the stick but did loathe the steep hills of San Francisco and rush hour traffic when I had the Z.

A month ago I saw that the TLX type S had special PMC editions. These look really nice and my color preference would have been white (although I would have preferred a black interior and black painted rims over copper). The rest of the mods would have been what I would have wanted over the base type S and the black hood and door handles are a nice touch. Alas, the ordering period for the white PMC was already over by the time I learned about it. Still, I sent emails to a few of my local dealers to inquire about it.

Today I got a call from a local dealer that said the other people on the waitlist for one had fallen through and I can put a deposit down to claim it if I wanted. Now comes the delimma.

Do I get the TLX PMC or wait for the Integra Type S? I won’t be tracking anything so both should have the power I want. The TLX looks better to my eyes except for the ugly plastic shield around the front Acura emblem. It is 20k more though.
What would you do?

A3REDT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6MT, 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS 6
Easy. Save the manuals😉
This Integra is by far the easiest manual I've ever driven, and I've driven a lot. The hill start assist is seamless, and it even has additionally brake hold which when activated will hold the brake until you start moving.

TheRas900

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Macan S, '16 ES350 and hopefully a '23 Integra
The Z and similar Infinitis have some of the worst manual transmissions. The Integra Type S might have the best one. I think it will be a much more special car than any TLX.

CB750 rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra, 06 Five-Hundred, 2011 Express
I live in SW Ohio, so I can't begin to appreciate what SF traffic is like. But, you asked what I'd do. I would wait for the type S. I generally prefer lighter cars for daily drivers. I've never driven a TLX. It's probably a very nice car, and it'd probably be a better choice for a long drive. But, most driving I do is under 30 minutes, so the lighter Integra will be easier. I have driven some flappy-paddle transmissions in rentals. I find it's hard to get the right gear with the paddles. It is probably one of those things you get better at with time, but you don't have a clutch. If you ever move somewhere with less traffic and snow, the manual really shines over an automatic. That's where I live, so that's what I'd do. Even if the price difference wasn't a factor.

They are both good choices, though. It's nice to know you'll get a nice ride either way.

lnf

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lunar Silver, 6MT Integra
The Integra Type S will probably be more sought after in the future (hold value) and will definitely be more fun IMO. The Acura TLXs look like nice cars and have a ton of tech, but they are saloons. So if you are looking for a smaller, sportier car, I would wait for an Integra Type S

OP
OP

MJourney

First Name
Suu-Va
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 328i
I think the best scenario would be for the pmc to not arrive until after Acura releases all the info on the type S including any changes and price. That way I can make a more informed decision. If the interior of the integra isn’t upgraded at all I might have to go with the TLX. If the interior is upgraded that might tilt me toward the ITS if the MSRP isn’t over 50.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either option--they'll both be sought after for years to come, as are most of Acura's Type-S models.

I briefly debated a TLX Type-S myself, and ultimately bought a 6MT Integra. Throttle House does a great review of the TLX Type-S, and I was surprised to see just how little room it had despite being such a large vehicle. I recently heard a reviewer say the TLX has less interior space than a Honda Fit. If you need a back seat, make sure the TLX has one that will work for you. I don't recall what it has as far as trunk space. I also got the impression from them that, despite having what seems like loads of power on paper, the TLX Type-S doesn't feel all that powerful or fun to drive. Savage Geese basically said the SH-AWD + safety suite will allow you to drive the car like a complete idiot while staying relatively safe. It didn't seem to blow their hair back either, probably because it's got a lot of weight holding it back. Obviously, some of that weight is attributable to additional luxury features, but what's more important? Luxury features or fun? That's a personal call.

The TLX Type-S was the most expensive vehicle I considered, followed close behind by a 2020-2023 Type-R (unfortunately, the used car markups are unreal, my wife thinks the FK8 looks like an abomination, and I couldn't wait around for an FL5), the 6MT Integra, 2.0T Accord, and the 2020-2022 Civic Si.

• Type-R - Ridiculously fun to drive. Quick off the line, sharp in corners, fantastic transmission, decent interior space, but very subjective styling with the prior model. Even the FL5 has styling nuances that are divisive. I like a big wing, not everyone does. I don't need red carpeting... but at MSRP, I'd deal.
  • 2.0T Accord - Quick off the line, but roly-poly overall. It felt like a dad car, and not a "cool dad" car. I don't know if a TLX Type-S would've felt much different for me, even with the V6 and SH-AWD.
  • Civic Si - Quick enough, but obviously not a racecar. It has a great transmission, and it's fun to drive, but the interior space is budget-level. Hard plastics, rough seats, piano black, etc..
  • Integra - It made up for all of the interior and technology shortcomings of the Civic Si. I could get a 6MT. I had no trouble finding one at MSRP. It has the convenience of a hatchback. It's fun to drive

I'm committed to trading up to the Integra Type-S next summer, and it's largely because I've enjoyed my current Integra so much and they're allegedly making the Type-S with a 6MT. I'd love to have a little more of that Civic Type-R "uumph" in the power department, but I don't need a track-ready vehicle. Would I love to take my Integra out for a few laps? Absolutely. Will it be a common activity? Nope. Myself, I probably wouldn't have put a deposit down if the Type-S were going to come with an automatic transmission.

If you set aside the (assumed) price difference between these two vehicles, are you going to enjoy driving stick? Because It's a pretty permanent feature, and it's not something everyone is going to enjoy. Fortunately, Honda makes a great manual transmission.

Wojo

First Name
Beef Cake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec CVT, 2015 TLX , 2002 TL Type S
just depends on what you want, i would like a PMC verison, i came from a 2015 TLX, the ride & comfort will
be way better in the TLX, ( i have driven a loner 2022 a-spec TLX ) it is night & day better at a lot of things over
the integra, but the integra is a lot more fun to drive, i'm sure the type s will be also, it really comes down to what
you would rather have, comfort or fun ( not that the TLX isn't fun at all, just out as much )

SteamedHams

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5G Integra 6MT
Sometimes I miss the stick but did loathe the steep hills of San Francisco and rush hour traffic when I had the Z.
As someone who lives in SF, and who also did 4 years of 90 minute (one-way) commutes in LA up 405/101 in an STI with a heavy duty clutch, I have no sympathy ;).

Did you Z have auto brake hold? My last few manual cars all had it (including the Integra) and it made going up the hills easy peasy.

OP
OP

MJourney

First Name
Suu-Va
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 328i
As someone who lives in SF, and who also did 4 years of 90 minute (one-way) commutes in LA up 405/101 in an STI with a heavy duty clutch, I have no sympathy ;).

Did you Z have auto brake hold? My last few manual cars all had it (including the Integra) and it made going up the hills easy peasy.
Lol misery sure loves company. My z didn’t have brake hold. How does that work?

OP
OP

MJourney

First Name
Suu-Va
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 328i
just depends on what you want, i would like a PMC verison, i came from a 2015 TLX, the ride & comfort will
be way better in the TLX, ( i have driven a loner 2022 a-spec TLX ) it is night & day better at a lot of things over
the integra, but the integra is a lot more fun to drive, i'm sure the type s will be also, it really comes down to what
you would rather have, comfort or fun ( not that the TLX isn't fun at all, just out as much )
I think the fun factor will weigh heavily in my final decision but I am also a glutton for creature comforts.

SteamedHams

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5G Integra 6MT
Lol misery sure loves company. My z didn’t have brake hold. How does that work?
It prevents the car from rolling backwards on a hill when you take your foot off the brake. You can think of it like using the handbrake to hold you in place while you get on the gas to get the car moving forward.

OP
OP

MJourney

First Name
Suu-Va
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 328i
That is very helpful considering some of the steep hills and traffic in SF.

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
That is very helpful considering some of the steep hills and traffic in SF.
I find the brake hold somewhat intrusive while driving. I had it on my BMW and was smoother. There was no on/off selection I found though, it was always on.
In SF I would absolutely use it. It's not THAT intrusive.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt

I turned it off on my Mustang. This kept making me think I have to give way to much gas, or make me think I was giving ENOUGH when really I wasn't and would just stall. Turned the damn thing off. Been bliss ever since.