• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Going to battle with dealer installed PPF

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Background: Purchased the Integra Type S back in July and Courtesy Acura had partial clear-bra PPF installed on their showroom model. The dealer uses a 3rd party clear-bra installer:

originalclearbra3.jpg

All seemed okay, the clear-bra doesn't wrap around the edges and type of film used makes the white paint appear darker yellowish tint, which is very noticeable on a white car in certain lighting.

Autofilm Solutions PPF: I dropped the ITS off at Autofilm Solutions for a full body wrap; they are extremely professional and the best at what they do. They pointed out the clear bra installation isn't the best. After a couple of hours, they carefully removed the clear bra and this is what they discovered:

cutsarrow.jpg
IMG_0294.jpeg
IMG_0297.jpeg
IMG_0296.jpeg
IMG_0299.jpeg

Damage: It is abundantly clear, the ITS was brand new and the servicing dealership's contracted installer took a knife to the PPF installation. Wherever the PPF was cut-to-size, there are razorblade cuts into the paint. Autofilm solutions removed each PPF film for inspection; they noticed the cuts were in line with the original edges on the PPF. The PPF was trimmed ONTO the vehicle paint.

In many areas the clearcoat was broken and down to the paint panel. "Due to the location and depth of these cuts, buffing is not possible. These panels will require repainting to bring it back to the original condition of a new vehicle"

It's quite obvious the cut mark damages were not there prior to installation. The clearoat is broken, refinishing is required. In the pictures, the clearcoat cracking has begun to spread and collect dirt. This would lead to peeling and clearcoat delamination.

Remedies: Autofilm Solutions works with an autobody shop and has given an estimate based off of the assessed damage. This will require wetsanding, and respraying the entire panels. The risk would be paint matching. Platinum White Pearl can be extremely difficult to color match to original.

The other option is to completely PPF wrap over the damages. This will not completely hide the cut marks and be at risk for delamination under the wrap. UV rays will continue to cause damages, the clearcoat adhesions will fail and cause lifting off of the base-coat.

Both cost estimates have been sent to the dealer. Currently Rick over at Courtesy Acura has been very cooperative but the ultimate decision will come from his general manager. We spoke to the guy who did the original PPF clear bra and he neither confirmed nor denied putting a knife onto the paint. Either way, the evidence is clear that someone cut into the paint.

I'm not sure what Courtesy Acura will cover, but repair costs will need to be provided. The last thing on my mind would be to peel off the clear bra and check for cuts before signing the paperwork and driving the ITS off the lot. I've been in touch with a lawyer but will work with the dealer first. They want the car brought in to assess damage but I was told I'd be exposing the paint to further damage. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Will update as the situation progresses.

Kamber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type-S & ‘22 BRZ Limited
That is horrendous mate, so sorry you're dealing with that! I always make a concerted effort to have the dealer do as little as possible because their work is mediocre at best and catastrophic at worst, with things leaning toward abysmal most of the time. No washes, no drilling, nothing besides only what is absolutely mandatory like PDI. Its not always do-able depending on how long they have had the car prior to you first engaging them, but its definitely because of things like this.

Hope you get it sorted and made whole! If it were me, I'd at least broach the conversation with your lawyer of how feasible it would be to force/pressure the dealership to buy the car back. Depending on the extent of ham-fisted PPF application by the dealer's installer, I would not want to have to deal with a new car needing paintwork all over and the downtime associated with remedying all the areas.

OP
OP

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
That is horrendous mate, so sorry you're dealing with that! I always make a concerted effort to have the dealer do as little as possible because their work is mediocre at best and catastrophic at worst, with things leaning toward abysmal most of the time. No washes, no drilling, nothing besides only what is absolutely mandatory like PDI. Its not always do-able depending on how long they have had the car prior to you first engaging them, but its definitely because of things like this.

Hope you get it sorted and made whole! If it were me, I'd at least broach the conversation with your lawyer of how feasible it would be to force/pressure the dealership to buy the car back. Depending on the extent of ham-fisted PPF application by the dealer's installer, I would not want to have to deal with a new car needing paintwork all over and the downtime associated with remedying all the areas.
Completely agree with your recommendations. The clear bra PPF wasn't something I asked for. This was installed by the dealer's 3rd party guy. It had to be on their showroom for 30 days before I was informed I am next up to purchase it. Luckily they did not drill the license plates onto the bumper. They agreed to sell to me for MSRP with some addons, clear-bra already preinstalled.

Lawyer has gathered paperwork including filing a complaint under auto industry division under state law. She also asked me to collect evidence and documentation, all of which I do have. I prefer to not have to have dealer purchase the car back and I would have to deal with depreciation losses. There's already some sunken costs for ceramic coating as well. I don't have another daily driver should this be the route I need to take. However, If all repairs can be done then I would accept waiting for them to be done properly.

In your experience, what ramifications would there be for dealer buy backs and compensations? If they were to buy back the ITS, they would have to repair the broken clearcoat and cutmarks anyway, not sure what their incentives would be to do this.

preston23

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
Coming from a lawyer, is it worth it to hire a lawyer? lol

OP
OP

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Coming from a lawyer, is it worth it to hire a lawyer? lol
I prefer not. Massive headaches to go this route, when it could easily be remedied. The damages are pre-existing conditions on their side. It's likely the dealership wasn't aware that their chosen clear-bra guy was damaging new vehicles. Thus far, Courtesy Acura has been great to work with; but I have to prepare for the worst case. I'd be happy to work with dealership for what seems to be an honest mistake.

I'd hate to think of others buying cars with clear-bra's on them and not discovering paint damage until much later.

Kamber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type-S & ‘22 BRZ Limited
Completely agree with your recommendations. The clear bra PPF wasn't something I asked for. This was installed by the dealer's 3rd party guy. It had to be on their showroom for 30 days before I was informed I am next up to purchase it. Luckily they did not drill the license plates onto the bumper. They agreed to sell to me for MSRP with some addons, clear-bra already preinstalled.

Lawyer has gathered paperwork including filing a complaint under auto industry division under state law. She also asked me to collect evidence and documentation, all of which I do have. I prefer to not have to have dealer purchase the car back and I would have to deal with depreciation losses. There's already some sunken costs for ceramic coating as well. I don't have another daily driver should this be the route I need to take. However, If all repairs can be done then I would accept waiting for them to be done properly.

In your experience, what ramifications would there be for dealer buy backs and compensations? If they were to buy back the ITS, they would have to repair the broken clearcoat and cutmarks anyway, not sure what their incentives would be to do this.
I have thankfully never had any experience with dealership buybacks. For me, the equation is a bit different as I have other vehicles in the family that I could drive. If I were in your shoes and I could achieve a dealership buy-back and be refunded what I paid for the car, I would get out of it completely and pursue buying another Type-S elsewhere. I wouldn't want to deal with paint matching extensive quantities of exterior body panels and owning a car with record of paint/body work. It'd be different if you were able to get some kind of "diminished value" claim out of it, but if all the dealership is offering to do is pay for the work itself and put me out of a car for however long it takes to do the paint/body-work, I wouldn't be satisfied. Your car's history is going to be viewed as "damaged goods" by some if that repair makes its way onto carfax or dealership records that are associated with the VIN - how much that actually matters to you is subjective though.

preston23

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
I have thankfully never had any experience with dealership buybacks. For me, the equation is a bit different as I have other vehicles in the family that I could drive. If I were in your shoes and I could achieve a dealership buy-back and be refunded what I paid for the car, I would get out of it completely and pursue buying another Type-S elsewhere. I wouldn't want to deal with paint matching extensive quantities of exterior body panels and owning a car with record of paint/body work. It'd be different if you were able to get some kind of "diminished value" claim out of it, but if all the dealership is offering to do is pay for the work itself and put me out of a car for however long it takes to do the paint/body-work, I wouldn't be satisfied. Your car's history is going to be viewed as "damaged goods" by some if that repair makes its way onto carfax or dealership records that are associated with the VIN - how much that actually matters to you is subjective though.
[/QUOT
I prefer not. Massive headaches to go this route, when it could easily be remedied. The damages are pre-existing conditions on their side. It's likely the dealership wasn't aware that their chosen clear-bra guy was damaging new vehicles. Thus far, Courtesy Acura has been great to work with; but I have to prepare for the worst case. I'd be happy to work with dealership for what seems to be an honest mistake.

I'd hate to think of others buying cars with clear-bra's on them and not discovering paint damage until much later.
How hard would it be to get another one in Colorado. We only have one Acura dealership here in Nebraska. I would just keep the fucker.

Hakmamba

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000, T4R V8, Prius Prime, Integra Type S
That sucks, is there any option instead of repaint etc, to just have them give you a new bumper hood and panels?

OP
OP

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
If i pursued the dealer buy-back route, I could be stuck with being out of a car for some time. Procuring another Type-S could be an extensive wait with no guarantees of buying it again at MSRP.

The other hand, having mismatched paint panels would be a nightmare, with no guarantee paint and clear coat quality would match that of Acura factory paint.

I have no issues if it was on record on carfax; the intention is to keep this car throughout its lifecycle. Cars are not great investments and I want to make sure every dollar is worth it. You do have a valid point in diminished value if there were ever a need to resell the car for any reason. I guess I will have to see what courtesy acura will be willing to do about these damages.

OP
OP

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
That sucks, is there any option instead of repaint etc, to just have them give you a new bumper hood and panels?
I will ask, although I thought replacement bumpers, panels are bare that would need to be painted? However, if they can procure newly painted components from the factory that would be ideal.

Baozzer

First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech 6MT
Build Thread
Link
damn sucks your came out like that, mine PPF came out so good I NEVER KNEW IT WAS THERE until I got my car ceramic coated and they told me can't buff the front bumper due to PPF. I have horizontal razor blade cuts on all my door from that stupid door guard. All they did was buff it down but you can still see it if you look for it. I fear rust spots the near future. That door edge guard film is so crap it was filled with dirt after 1 week I ripped it off myself. https://www.integraforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-ppf-the-front.51071/post-836065

OP
OP

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
damn sucks your came out like that, mine PPF came out so good I NEVER KNEW IT WAS THERE until I got my car ceramic coated and they told me can't buff the front bumper due to PPF. I have horizontal razor blade cuts on all my door from that stupid door guard. All they did was buff it down but you can still see it if you look for it. I fear rust spots the near future. That door edge guard film is so crap it was filled with dirt after 1 week I ripped it off myself. https://www.integraforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-ppf-the-front.51071/post-836065
I remember seeing this post. Have you had any issues with lifting over the stamped INTEGRA letters? Looks like you're wrestling with the same issues as me if you've found razor blade cuts. If the cuts are deep, buffing will only do so much. You risk moisture getting in, the broken clearcoat will crack outwards and eventually rust. The last thing you would want is for the clearcoats to become brittle and delaminate.

Baozzer

First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech 6MT
Build Thread
Link
my front bumper PPF is flawless. I personal would have never gotten it on purpose because it does look yellow over time. But as of right now, completely unnoticeable. I have cuts on my doors, not my front bumper

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
This is egregious.

I have no clue what possible routes you have to getting this resolved, but man... this is something that would send me off the deep end. Best of luck to finding a workable solution. I can tell already you have far more patience and tolerance than I do...

The dealer needs to terminate working with that installer IMMEDIATELY. How many other cars has this guy ruined?